Hand Touch - duration

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by Tina D, May 14, 2015.

1. Tina D

Tina D Registered Users

Hi Guys,
    I have a hand touch with the 'touch' cue, but it's a quick touch, mainly for focus while we are out and about. Has anyone seen Chirag Patel's fab video for caregiving and the vets http://youtu.be/40I_fx6AH0M, in which he has a prolonged nose touch. Does anyone have a link or suggestions to build the duration for this nose touch/target, but retain the original short duration nose touch? It's such a straightforward thing, I'm sure, but I'm going round in circles trying to find out. Thank you!! :)

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Couldn't you simply have the touch as long as your hand is out? So, for the quick touch, you simply remove your cue immediately after the touch?

3. JulieT

JulieT Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I can't see the vid on my phone so sorry if this isn't what you want/mean....

If I wanted a dog to stand still with his head near my hand I'd use a chin rest - so train a still posture with the dog's head resting in your hand (or anywhere else). I think this way you can retain the dynamic nose touch for quick exercises, plus you don't need to proof distance for the chin rest, just duration (you want your touch to work at a distance but not really a chin rest I guess).

4. Tina D

Tina D Registered Users

Thanks for your help Snowbunny and Julie!

5. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

I did it by keeping my hand held out and selectively clicking for longer/harder touches - sometimes if you don't click the first touch, the second one offered is harder/longer - use the hand as the cue for a bit (ie save your touch cue for the quick nose) and then use a different cue (I use squish) for the long touch - it did take a while to build up and I don't think its strong enough to use in the vet situation - that was impressive - we are only just starting to be able to move a few steps together with a continual nose squish - the competitive obedience people sometimes use it for heel position work

6. Tina D

Tina D Registered Users

Hi Foxy Lady, Good advice, thank you. And love your verbal cue! Also, I just came across Nando Brown's video (which I had already viewed and forgotten about, silly me!) http://youtu.be/maRMcxIhdv4

7. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

Thanks for that video Tina - gives me some ideas to try - I meant to add that I often get stronger/longer touches if I rev her up a bit first - ie a quick ball chase and then ask for a squish. I actually really like Julie's idea for a chin rest for vet work.

8. BonkersAsConkers

BonkersAsConkers Registered Users

Agree with this.
    Basically I expect my dog to keep her nose to my hand til I click or say "yes" so I use the same cue for quick and for long touches.

Sometimes it's really hard to shape longer touches so I cheated for a few; I actually pressed back against her nose - gently! - for a couple of reps to get her started and to get her used to waiting for the click. The opposition reflex comes into play a bit too.
    I know the purist would say that it's not STRICTLY shaping but I only did it literally 2-3 times and then shaped from there.