Health risks from keeping dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Boris, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I actually got a dog to help with my rehab from a bad accident, broke both legs badly, shattered a knee. So my legs don't work properly any more. So we decided perfect timing to get a dog! I remember when we went to the farm to meet Benson and I had crutches at a boot contraption on one of my legs being asked to walk though some kind of disinfectant dip and then sliding across their kitchen floor arms akimbo struggling to stay upright.....hadn't even met Benson at that stage....

drjs@5, charlie, Stacia and 1 other person like this.
  2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Not forgetting the Good Boy chocolate drops ;) yummy :D :D

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh stop it now!i meet up with a lady when I'm walking and she bites her dog treats in half! ......I did once lick a hedgehog chew in PAH .....

4. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Good boy doggie chocolate drops reminds me of my brother in law.

Once when he was on the phone he saw a plain bag of chocolate drops . While he was talking, he kept popping one in his mouth every now and then. My sister fell about laughing, :cwl:He just gave her a funny look until he came off the phone and she told him why. He said they just tasted the same as human chocolate drops. The dog wasn't too pleased though. :chuckle:

Last edited: May 7, 2016
    charlie, Beanwood and MaccieD like this.
  5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

At least my dog food exploits were as a child, I wouldn't dream of biting Juno's treats in half, if I can't break them by hand they don't go walks.

So would that Hedgehog in PAH be a Whimzee? Come on fess up, what did it taste of? Was there a particular reason you got the urge to lick it? :D :D

6. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I'm sure there's a regulation somewhere that states that tinned dog food should be of a standard that is fit for human consumption. I don't know where I got that from, I could have made it all up.

MaccieD likes this.
  7. Dexter

It was one of those green ones that I think are marketed as teeth cleaning chews ....it didn't taste of anything to be honest.....

MaccieD likes this.
  8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I knee someone once who worked for a dog food company and they all used to taste the kibble as part of the quality control process. It wasn't a premium brand either.

I hurt my back quite badly lifting my dog Nicolae onto the bed once. He was perfectly capable of jumping up himself.

drjs@5 and MaccieD like this.
  9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I am sure you are right, but like you not sure where the regulation is! I used to work at a vets' and the dog food rep would open a tin of dog food and eat some :eek:

Cath and MaccieD like this.
  10. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

My brother gave me a cook book for dogs, there are some quite tasty recipes for biscuits and other meals. Maybe I could get the kids in my cooking class to bake dog biscuits!

drjs@5 and MaccieD like this.
  11. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

I hurt my shoulder being pulled along by Homer and throwing his ball. I went to see the physio who asked me to throw a tennis ball against the wall. I did this a couple of times and he picked it up and handed it back to me. He then looked at me and said you're meant to catch it. I replied innocently "oh my dog does that for me" He wasn't impressed

snowbunny, Naya, Oberon and 4 others like this.
  12. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Was he related to my brother in law :D

drjs@5 and Stacia like this.
  13. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Tears are actually rolling down my cheeks at all the little stories. :cwl::cwl::cwl:

I've broken my finger, got stuck in mud and very soft sand. Fallen over dog toys and dog blankets which is pretty light weight compared to others. @sdegg I have just noticed you live in the next county to me. If I see someone staggering about with a stick up their nose clutching a knife in their stomach after emerging from a river I'll know who it is. :):)

14. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hahaha! :cwl:

15. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Well he should have said, who catches their own ball. Obviously not a dog owner :D:D

Cath and Stacia like this.
  16. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Practicing water retrieves yesterday, dog's tooth caught my finger as I took the dummy. It started to bleed and then it felt it was pumping blood, running down my arm and plopping on the floor and I didn't have a tissue to stem the flow!!! I phoned a chap who I knew was walking in the area and after about 10 minutes he found me and bound finger up with a tissue, helped me to my car and started it for me as I could't turn the key, too painful. Arrived home, arm covered in blood where it ran down from the finget, no reaction from sister (over from America) or OH and I cooked them dinner, must be mad :facepalm:

Naya, drjs@5 and Pilatelover like this.
  17. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Love it!

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

When we were little my Sister used to eat our cats cat food, the wet tinned variety :puke:

Pilatelover likes this.
  19. Dexter

I do love these funny threads,makes me feel so much more normal as I navigate the world of Labrador ownership

Seriously ,it sounds like an episode of Banshee or some such like ,not a stroll with your four legged friend! :rofl:

20. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Normal? Really? :chuckle::chuckle::cwl::cwl:

drjs@5 likes this.