Hello everyone. Badger and I are newbies.

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Jimbo&Badger, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Jimbo&Badger

Jimbo&Badger Registered Users

Hi all, I recently got a male chocolate lab named Badger. He is about 4 1/2 months old. I've been looking at all kinds of websites for good information since I am a first time dog owner with a busy life and committed to training my handsome boy to become a well behaved family companion and hunting dog. I found this site that seems to be absolutely loaded with great information. I've never been in a forum or anything but I figured having other great dog owners to talk to and learn from would be a very valuable and enjoyable resource.

Any tips of how to upload images/media would be great. Also, I tried to upload an avatar picture but it said it was too large for the server to process, but its only an image taken on my phone...Look forward to meeting you guys!

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
    I've never been part of a forum before joining on here. I have honestly had so much good advice, sympathy and encouraging comments when I've needed them. Do ask anything and people will help where they can.
    Are you looking to do gundog training or something like agility/flyball?

If you look in the technical section it will tell you how to upload photos. You need a host site like Flickr or similar, or pay a £10 fee a year and upload directly from your device.

Jimbo&Badger likes this.
  3. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Hey there, welcome to you and Badger! This is a great place, they're even nice to you if you don't...ehem... have a Lab. ;) But it's especially good if you DO have one and need help from lots of people who have been down that road.

Re: the avatar, I had to shrink my photo down to minuscule proportions as well for it to work, it may just be a quirk of the system. One of the forum professionals may be able to advise. To upload the photos, the easiest thing is to become a forum supporter and then you get a handy "upload a file" button that makes it all automatic. But there are tips in the technical section of the forum for how to post photos if you don't want to take that route.

Jimbo&Badger likes this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome from me and Lilly!

Jimbo&Badger likes this.
  5. Jimbo&Badger

Thanks for the tips and welcoming everyone!

6. Jimbo&Badger

I will most likely train him myself for hunting and basic obedience but depending on how that goes professional gundog training is not being completely ruled out haha. With that said ill most likely be on here frequently getting advice and others thoughts on training practices, I love to hear all different styles and tips etc.

Thanks for the reply :)

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome! I see you got your avatar sorted - it's great to see Badger. The system only allows photos of 1MB to be uploaded as avatars and most camera phones these days take photos a lot bigger than that, so resizing is often necessary. We'd love to see more pics of your boy. As the others have said, there are articles in the technical section to tell you how to do it with Flickr, Photobucket or Imgur, which are all free services. And, as Emily said, if you choose to hang around and post lots of photos, you might be interested in the subscription which simplifies it. But we can't expect that after two posts ;)

Gundog training is great! I absolutely love it, as do my two dogs. I live in Europe so don't get to go as often as I'd like, but this forum has taught me so much about what to do and how to approach it, so I do bits of training most days with Willow and Shadow. We're not going to be winning any field trials any time soon, but we all have fun, and that's what it's all about.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Jimbo&Badger likes this.
  8. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hello and welcome to you and Badger!

Jimbo&Badger likes this.
  9. Jimbo&Badger

Thanks! Yeah, we wont be doing any field trials or competitions let alone winning any haha. I agree it's all about the experience, fun and bond. He does need to be proficient at retrieving the birds and listening to me though haha that's all I am really shooting for since that will be a tall order in itself. I'm sure I will find plenty of help on here to help me achieve my goals with Badger.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2016
  10. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Welcome from me and big Pongo in south Wales! Hope you love this forum as much as we do.....
    Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures

Jimbo&Badger likes this.
  11. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Hello to you & Badger. This forum is indeed a great place for help & advice - there's always someone who's been through a similar problem willing to share experiences.

Jimbo&Badger likes this.
  12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello and welcome to you and Badger (great name :) ). Where are you from?

Jimbo&Badger likes this.
  13. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you both from Mags, Tatze and Mollie :hi:

Tatze is my pet dog, black Lab three years old. Mollie is a Guide Dog puppy, black Lab nine weeks old.

IMG_2491.JPG

14. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

A warm welcome to you and Badger (love the name) from me and my 2 year old chocolate girl. I too had never joined a forum before, this is a wonderful site full of lovely helpful friendly people. I do post topics, although quite often I just like to read information. I'm not an expert by any means, all I want is to do the very best for my dog and not let her down. This forum is a great starting point and has also being a huge comfort :doug:

Jimbo&Badger likes this.
  15. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Mags what a stunning photo xx

16. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi and welcome! Looking forward to more photos of Badger, he looks gorgeous from your avatar! We have three labs, one is a chocolate too! ;) I dabble in gundog training, it is just so much fun! The dogs get so much out of it too.

Jimbo&Badger likes this.
  17. Labsetter

Labsetter Registered Users

Hi like you I am a newby to the site and forums. I have had mainly Irish Setters and spaniels. Ben is my first Labrador and is such a pleasure and so easy to train (excluding the anxiety baggage he carries due to how he was treated by his previous owners)

Training a dog is so time consuming, frustrating but so, so, so rewarding. Each time Badger does what you ask him to do you will feel so proud and get such a sense of achievement. It is great. I wish you lots of great moments. Diana

Jimbo&Badger likes this.
  18. Jimbo&Badger

Thanks everyone! Great picture mags. Beautiful dogs

19. Jimbo&Badger

Thanks. I'm from northern California in the U.S.. what about you?

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I'm from Germany :)

Jimbo&Badger likes this.