Hello from a GSP owner

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by TeamGSP, Dec 9, 2013.

1. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

hi everyone

I'm a GSP owner, 2 at the moment at 4 years old and I have a new arrival coming in February 2014 to make the team up to 3 plus me 8)

I have been reading pippas book and ebooks along with others in terms of operant conditioning and purely positive type training methodologies which I want to use with my new pup.

I currently work my dogs under the gun, one at a time in rough shooting scenarios, both dogs work well but would have been better if I had known the work and training available at puppy stages.

Looking forward to torturing you all with many questions

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Hello from a GSP owner

Welcome, I was a GSP owner for nearly 30 years (still have an old one) but have gone over to Labs. I have to admit I think GSPs are easier!

3. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forum. :D I also don't have a Labrador but four spaniels of different breeds, all working in the field. Looking forward to some photos of your dogs. :D

4. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

This is my Boy that I focus most of my time and effort on and who is my working partner in the field. He is 4 years old. He is wearing a pointing locating collar in the picture or beeper collar.

[​IMG]

5. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

Most of you on the gundog forum will know these two ;)

[​IMG]

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me Helen, Hattie 6 years and our rescue Lab x Pointer (GSP) charlie 3 years. Your dogs are just stunning. If you can torture as much as I have you'll be going some :eek: :) Have a lovely time on this very helpful forum :)

7. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

Well thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to some new training methods with my pup. I trained the two above along traditional guidelines so I'm looking forward to the impact of shaping, no physical corrections etc to train my new pup.

I'm getting confused on some points so I'm here to cause some chaos until I get answers lol

Prepare for some stunningly naive questions appearing in the near future

8. ClareJ

ClareJ Registered Users

I remember being told years ago that 'There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.'

I'm great at the stupid answers ;) but fortunately there's always someone on here with a good - if not brilliant - one!
    Clare

9. heidrun

Is the 'new arrival' already born? :)

10. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

[quote author=ClareJ link=topic=3600.msg40245#msg40245 date=1386603239]
    I remember being told years ago that 'There's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers.'

I'm great at the stupid answers ;) but fortunately there's always someone on here with a good - if not brilliant - one!
    Clare
    [/quote]

I'll look forward to your answers Clare 8)

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=3600.msg40246#msg40246 date=1386603267]
    Is the 'new arrival' already born? :)
    [/quote]

Yes indeed, 2 weeks old this coming Friday so should be with me first week of February or just before

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Ooo - how exciting. Your boys look lovely. Know nothing about GSPs - the pointer location collar sounds interesting. No idea what it might do. Looking forward to learning about your dogs and work.

I'm strictly a pet owner, but the gundog people on here are kind enough to put up with the resulting questions from me and Charlie - 9.5 month old chocolate lab - doing a bit of gundog training, which helps us have a bit of discipline (not a lot!) and stay in control in the park.

12. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3600.msg40249#msg40249 date=1386604069]
    Ooo - how exciting. Your boys look lovely. Know nothing about GSPs - the pointer location collar sounds interesting. No idea what it might do. Looking forward to learning about your dogs and work.

I'm strictly a pet owner, but the gundog people on here are kind enough to put up with the resulting questions from me and Charlie - 9.5 month old chocolate lab - doing a bit of gundog training, which helps us have a bit of discipline (not a lot!) and stay in control in the park.
    [/quote]

It can be set to beep as the dog runs at a steady pace in thick or heavy cover, then when the dog goes on point, which can occur out if sight the beep rate changes and I know my dog is standing.

I can also press a single button to locate the dog in heavy cover, I hunt in open and dense conifer woods so the dog can be out of vision within 5M which for a GSP is not much

13. heidrun

[quote author=TeamGSP link=topic=3600.msg40252#msg40252 date=1386605079]
    [quote author=JulieT link=topic=3600.msg40249#msg40249 date=1386604069]

[/quote]

It can be set to beep as the dog runs at a steady pace in thick or heavy cover, then when the dog goes on point, which can occur out if sight the beep rate changes and I know my dog is standing.

I can also press a single button to locate the dog in heavy cover, I hunt in open and dense conifer woods so the dog can be out of vision within 5M which for a GSP is not much
    [/quote]

Interesting! What game do you hunt and do you shoot over your own dogs?

14. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

Game on our ground is pheasant, woodcock, snipe, various duck and pigeon. We put down our own pheasants every year and the rest is provided by nature.

I shoot over my dogs or when I want to practice dog control or something new I put my gun in the slip and invite another gun to shoot over my dog after the flush, then my dog will retrieve. His retrieving is not without fault, especially on snipe and woodcock.

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

We are branching out! GSP's, how super! I think Helen (with Charlie) will be particularly interested, as Charlie is part pointer. Anyway, welcome, we labrador types are a friendly lot :D much like our dogs ;D.

16. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=3600.msg40265#msg40265 date=1386606900]
    We are branching out! GSP's, how super! I think Helen (with Charlie) will be particularly interested, as Charlie is part pointer. Anyway, welcome, we labrador types are a friendly lot :D much like our dogs ;D.
    [/quote]

I certainly have a lot of questions relating to pippas methods etc and I have a number of pretty major decisions to make in Regrads to my puppy.

Mainly to clicker train or not ?

And one question that is doing my head in is how to train the dog it's name as I'm getting muddled in terms of its name interfering with the training of recall etc by just sticking to one command. I use a whistle to train my dogs with body actions for directional queues and sit etc.

I'll get a thread up with my concerns and hope I get good answers to help

17. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Welcome from me and Lilly.
    All the gundoggy stuff is WAY over my head at least, but great hearing about it ;)
    Your dogs look super! I'm sure you will get loads of help from the knowledgeable bunch on this forum.

Jac

18. TeamGSP

TeamGSP Registered Users

Thanks jac. It's all over my head too but with time I'll get there. I just want to do my best by my next pup.

19. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there
    I have Dexter...14 month old yellow boy ,our first dog and the 4 legged love of my life but frightening the life out of me with his escapades at the moment!you will receive loads of help and advice on here .i think it's lovely to hear how you intend to change your training methods with this new pup.good luck,I look forward to hearing about your progress
    Best wishes
    Angela

20. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi there and welcome :) What beautiful dogs !