Hello from Leland, NC

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by T Reischl, Jan 5, 2017.

1. T Reischl

T Reischl Registered Users

Hello everyone!

I have been lurking around here the last few days and really like this forum, very friendly.

If you are not familiar with Leland, North Carolina....just think of it as the town across the river from Wilmington, NC. We are close to lots of beaches.

Now, on to the important stuff.....

We are Murphy's people.

Murphy is a two year old chocolate lab that moved in with us when he was 8 weeks old. He has been a true delight. House training? Child's play, he peed in the house twice, never pooped and that was it, he knew what to do. We would crate him up at night for the first 4 months we had him. He has not seen a crate since. We are both retired so he let's us go with him on his adventures.

I have never seen a dog that just "gets it" so easily. If we do not want him to do something, all we have to do is say "ahhh, ahhhh..." and that is it, he stops. After two or three times, he just does not do it again. Does not beg, stays off furniture (except my bed occasionally in the AM), does not jump up on people. Since he had a few sock toys when he was a pup (real socks) he is a bit of sock thief in the morning. He does not chew them up, just runs off with them all full of himself.

Murphy has never been "yelled" at or had a voice raised at him. He is attached to both of us. Depends on who is doing something more interesting at the moment. He gets lots of exercise playing ball, pine cone, water bottle. Water bottle is his favorite, he does not chew them up, just chases them.

Of course he loves the water. We get some pretty serious puddles in our yard, about 4 to 5 inches deep. He likes to play in the rain. When he needs a break, you guessed it, he lays down in the puddle.

Here he is!

[​IMG]

samandmole and QuinnM15 like this.
  2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello, welcome, from me, Betsy and Charlie in London, UK!

What a smashing boy!

Haha - and Wilmington, NC would be where? The US, I'm guessing. Apart from that, clueless, I'm afraid. Is NC North Carolina? Is that on the right hand side?

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

LOL - glad it wasn't just me! :D

A warm welcome to you and Murphy wherever you may be in the US!
    He is a fab looking boy
    jac

4. T Reischl

NC is North Carolina. A southern state. Think: beautiful beaches, gorgeous mountains.

Now, I would think you Brits would know where Wilmington is located. Your troops marched through here and also used it as a base...and then, well, you know the rest...LOL.

Seriously, NC is on the eastern coast of the US. Wilmington is a "temperate" zone, quite warm here though we are supposed to get a touch of snow this weekend which has the natives in a tizzy!

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and Harley (3 year old red girl) from Bristol, UK :)
    I have heard of Wilmington, but didn't know whereabouts in the US it was located.
    Murphy sounds like an amazing dog and it sounds like he has an amazing life with you :)

6. T Reischl

I am thinking it is the other way around! We have an amazing life with him!

A person can learn a lot from a dog. They are really good at just "letting things go" and not dwelling on the past. Also, I don't think he ever has a bad day. Always happy. And that is not just him. I went to a carvers club meeting I belong to this morning. A lady brought her 12 yo lab with her. The poor guy is having problems with his back legs, but he was happy to be out and about meeting people with her. Once that trust thing is established, it is just amazing.

Oh, your Red Girl is just plain, well, beautiful!

Naya likes this.
  7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum from me and my three monsters :)

8. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum. What a lovely lad :)