Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Millieboo, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

Hello I'm totally new to being a dog owner, my name is Christina and our newest addition to the family is a black lab called Millie. She is now 13 weeks old and already sort of housebroken (she goes to the door and wait but the problem is she don't make any sound so if I miss that she heads to the door she pees on the floor). I'm very proud of her, had her now for soon 4 weeks (she now knows sit and lay down) and she is the best friend of my 2 1/2 year old daughter.
    I got no problems to get Millie out for a walk with a leash and a stroller as long as my daughter is with us, the problem I got is in the evening I usually walk alone and Millie refuses to leave our property (I end up carrying her out to the road and then it's a bit whimpering but it quickly goes into a fun walk session).
    I found my way to this forum when I was googling about Labrador forums, hopefully to be able to get guidance and some insight, I am so scared of being the reason to mess up my dog (I seen enough people that shouldn't be near any animals).

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Christina and welcome to the forum. You don't need to worry about walks for Millie yet, in the sense of exercise. She doesn't need much. Just focus on making all her new experiences fun. If she is worried when you put her on the ground near the road, instead of taking her for a walk, just spend time there cuddling her, and feeding her so she gets used to the new experiences, cars going by etc.

3. Millieboo

Oh she loves walking, it's just she don't want to go anywhere without my daughter. And when I carry her to the road she doesn't whimper it is when I put her down for a second or two while Millie look towards the house and then she comes running wiggling her tail. I take her on 2 • 15 mins walks a day if the weather allows it. We live close to a farm so she's used to just sit and watch horses and cows without getting too excited and hopefully I can find her some playmates. People around here don't really chit chat, if you even see anyone that is.
    I got a little question what sort of treats is the best for lab puppies? I have been using pieces of bananas and apples after that milk bone gave her diarrhea.
    And thank you for welcoming me, I ended up writing a lot more then I intended.

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome to the forum. When Juno was little I just used a portion of kibble from her daily ration for training. Puppies are usually happy to work for something as simple as that and no risk of tummy upsets either :)

Millieboo likes this.
  5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome from me and Lilly

Millieboo likes this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome from Hattie 8 years and Charlie 5 years our rescue dog. Hope you enjoy the forum! x :)

7. alexder

alexder Registered Users

Hi,welcome and nice to meet you.

8. Millieboo

Thank you a lot, I sure am enjoying this forum. Been reading this and that whole day when given an opportunity. Used kibble too during our training sessions today (I usually do 3 training sessions a day for 15-20 minutes each and then play between naps).

9. C/C Mama

C/C Mama Registered Users

Hi, Chloe, Claire and I are new here too. I too use their kibble for training. I upgrade to boiled chicken when working on recall. To me that's the most important thing for them to learn, so the reward is special. Millie is beautiful!

Millieboo likes this.
  10. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my two.

Millieboo likes this.
  11. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi and welcome from Dexter and I x

Millieboo likes this.
  12. Harold & Lindsey

Harold & Lindsey Registered Users

Hi Christina, nice to meet you! Your little Mi8llie is adorable!! Just wanted to say hi!!

Millieboo likes this.
  13. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Hello to you & Millie :hi:

Millieboo likes this.