HELP! PUPPY IS FUSEY WITH TOYS!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Stargirl101, Jan 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Stargirl101

Stargirl101 Registered Users

Hello Everyone!
    I have a nearly 6 month old labrador puppy, who is super cute!
    Unfortunately he is very fussy with toys :/
    He loves soft cuddly toys but they never last long as he is a strong chewer and tears them to pieces in literally minutes. I have the KONG teddy bear which he loves and is really good as it is durable!

He also loves rope toys but is getting in the habit of using his teeth to rip off the pieces of rope so at the moment he only plays with this when someone is playing with him or he is supervised!

He isn't very fond of rubber type toys or hard toys like the nylabone's which is annoying as they are normally durable aha!

Just looking for some advice or suggestions of new types of toys I can try.

Thanks

2. Stargirl101

I have also tried the Kong's but once he has got all the good stuff out he tends to then ignore it and won't actually chew it (once again i think this is because he doesn't like the rubber texture)

3. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

Do you play with his toys with him? Dogs become bored very quickly if left to their own devices, they like to play with someone as they are social!

Try a tuggy toy which only comes out when you and him play together

Dexter likes this.
  4. Deb - Archie's Human

Deb - Archie's Human Registered Users

Kong makes some plush toys that have a knotted rope and a squeaker inside. So far it is the only stuffy type toy on which Archie hasn't been able to do an autopsy to discover just what is squeaking in there.
    D.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Most dogs don't play by themselves, so toys should be something you play with together.

Dexter likes this.
  6. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

My dog never has toys when he's on his own, unsupervised. I worry about him swallowing something he ought not to. Toys are played with together, any bits he chew off are quickly disposed of. He loves tuggies and balls. He ADORES his new Kong Squeezz Ball - it bounces funny and makes a ridiculous loud squeaking noise, but strong though it is, he'd probably wreck it of left alone with it.

7. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Among Fabric toys, the Tuffy brand seems to hold up the best for us. Both of our dogs will shred most plush toys, or play tug of war and tear them apart. They don't seem to swallow any parts, they just tear up toys and leave the mess for us to clean up. My S.O. used to sew the toys up multiple times but she had pretty much given up.

We have Ruffwear fabric dummy on a long nylon and bunge that hangs off our upper deck. Both dogs played with it when they were young. Grab it let it go, watch it bounce and grab it again. Cooper still plays with it at 20 months.

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there,

If you just want something to keep him occupied on his own ,try hiding food in cardboard boxes or rolls...you can put a few pieces of kibble in a toilet/kitchen roll and scrunch it up and it gives a good satisfying chew ,small cardboard boxes are even better.Your house will look a bit of a mess but it's easy cleaned up.I did this a lot for my dog as he's very destructive of soft toys ( they are our 'special' toys that we play with together) I'd love him to cuddle up to a teddy but it's just not to be! The plastic treat balls that you can buy are pretty good and fairly inexpensive as well as a Kong wobbler ( your wood work can take a battering though )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Dog+treat+ball

I've got the blue and the green one in a couple of different sizes for variety .....

9. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

When Bailey starts to give his soft toys a lobotomy I go and get an old muffin tin, 12 tennis balls (these are not for playing and kept in a cupboard when not being used for this) and put a mix of kibble and a few treats in the bottom of each muffin hole then cover with a tennis ball. Put on the floor and Bailey loves it - lifting the tennis balls and getting to the food below - in the past I have given him his meal like this when he is being extra fussy about eating!

I had to be quick picking up the tennis balls when he was younger otherwise they got chewed up too, but now once everything has gone, he comes running to me to refill it!

Hiding food and treats in things is also a way to entertain himself with a lovely reward - Bailey just does not like kongs at all - so we use soft plastic cups, toilet/kitchen roll cardboard inners, old boxes of various sizes - if we have a big enough shoe box a toy gets put in there, with a small treat then on with the lid and off he goes, working out how to get in and then destroying the box, all great fun as when we clear up he can chase the broom too :rolleyes:

10. Stargirl101

Thanks for your help everyone! Going online to buy all these suggestions :)

11. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

I am making Bessie a snuffle mat. If you google you'll find instructions - just take a square sink mat with holes in it and tie fleece strips in it, then hide kibble/treats in it. Good for nosework.

The Kong Wubba has been a good, sturdy toy for us. It has a ball in one end and then long strips. She loves it.

Mine don't care to chew on Kongs once they're empty but filling them gives me a good 20 minutes of peace! :)

12. Stargirl101

My order arrived on the weekend and Freddie loves it!
    Thanks everyone for all the help!

edzbird likes this.