Hi from a soon-to-be new owner...

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by AnnaBanana, Mar 9, 2015.

1. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana Registered Users

Hello everyone :)

I've been lurking and reading for a while, but I now feel justified in joining all of you lovely people on the forum as my family and I went to choose our lab puppy yesterday :D
    We've been thinking for a long time about the possibility of having a dog, but for various reasons it's never been the right time, but now I'm back home having finished uni and both my mum and I are working part time from home (I teach music, she repairs musical instruments), so it seemed like the perfect time for a new puppy!
    So yesterday we picked out our beautiful chocolate girl, the litter is just over two weeks old and had just opened their eyes in the last couple of days! I'll post of photo at some point once I've worked that out... and attempt not to burst with excitement at any point during the next six weeks!
    I also just wanted to say a big thank you to you all, the combination of reading posts on the forums and Pippa's puppy book has been absolutely invaluable in our research in the lead up to getting our pup, and I'm sure it will continue to be!

2. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Re: Hi from a soon-to-be new owner...

Hi and welcome to the forum. Very exciting getting a new puppy!

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Welcome to the forum from me and my two monsters.

How exciting, and lovely to be able to meet your new puppy at such a young age. Have a look in the technical section for how to post pictures, because we all love a puppy pic! Basically, you need to use a file sharing website (I use Imgur, others use Flickr, Dropbox etc) and then you can put a link to the image using BBCode - Imgur has a link that you copy once you've uploaded the picture.

Do you have a name or choice of names, yet?

If you have Pippa's book, you'll have a good grounding in what you need to do. Be prepared for your lives to be turned upside down in six weeks, and enjoy the time trying not to spontaneously combust from excitement :)

4. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Hi from Mira and me :)
    This will be the longest 6 weeks of your life, but exciting to be planning and choosing a name for your little bundle. You'll get plenty of help and empathy through the trials of new puppy ownership as well as shared excitement at the joys of having the most beautiful, clever puppy ever (because we all have one of those ;D )

Look forward to seeing puppy pics; you'll find instructions on posting photos in the Technical Help section.

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi from Juno and me and welcome to the forum. How exciting having just picked your puppy from the litter, I know she's beautiful because she's chocolate, but then I'm biased as Juno's chocolate ;) . My best advice would be to read Pippa's Happy Puppy book and get everyone who will be involved in puppy to read it as well - saved arguments with my husband! Other than that, puppy proof the house and get ready for a completely different life with your addition.

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Welcome ,welcome,how exciting and it's totally allowed to burst with excitement....how can you not ;D
    Brilliant you've found the Labrador Site,the Forum and Pippa's books,it will be a great start for your puppy settling into your family.Will you go and see her again before you collect her?
    Best wishes from Me and I have a 2.5 year old called Dexter
    Angela x

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Welcome from me and Pongo! (15 months old now but still my little fluffy puppy*).

Rosie

* anyone who has met him knows how ridiculous this description sounds.

8. buck

buck Registered Users

Welcome from me and my 5 month old Chocolate girl Amber. We first saw Amber at 3 weeks and then had the very exciting wait but the weeks go quickly with all the planning and shopping!!! ;D

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and 19 month old fox red girl Harley :)
    Look forward to seeing your photos :)

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you from Mags, Tatze (23 month black Lab) and Gypsy (9 month Guide Dog puppy)

:)

[​IMG]

11. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Glad you've found us! Welcome here from me and the big chocolate goof Simba... :)

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

When pup comes home, lock up your musical instruments ;D

13. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

[quote author=AnnaBanana link=topic=10128.msg148263#msg148263 date=1425897670]

(I teach music, she repairs musical instruments),
    [/quote]

I want to hear about how your pup reacts to music! I do some (classical) singing and when I'm practicing at home Pongo clearly thinks I'm in distress because he comes to lie on my feet... He's particularly sympathetic when I'm running through a tragic aria...

It is very hard not to laugh. I've decided that my practice sessions go better if I am in a different bit of the house.

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello! Welcome from me and my hooligan Choc Charlie.

15. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Hi from me and Molly. Exciting times for you! :)

16. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana Registered Users

Thanks everyone for your lovely welcomes :)
    We're still deciding on a name, my mum and I are in favour of Lola, but we haven't reached a consensus yet :p We're hoping to go and visit at some point in a couple of weeks, I'd love to visit some more but at 90 miles each way it's a bit of a treck.

[quote author=Rosie link=topic=10128.msg148308#msg148308 date=1425910868]
    [quote author=AnnaBanana link=topic=10128.msg148263#msg148263 date=1425897670]

(I teach music, she repairs musical instruments),
    [/quote]

I want to hear about how your pup reacts to music! I do some (classical) singing and when I'm practicing at home Pongo clearly thinks I'm in distress because he comes to lie on my feet... He's particularly sympathetic when I'm running through a tragic aria...

It is very hard not to laugh. I've decided that my practice sessions go better if I am in a different bit of the house.
    [/quote]

Hehe, that's brilliant! It must be so strange from his perspective. It's definitely going to be interesting to see how she reacts - there's quite a variety that goes on here as I play strings (violin mainly) and my mum plays clarinet and sax and we have various groups rehearsing here at times as well.

Here are a couple of the photos we took yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry they're so massive, I'm not sure how to sort that :S

17. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Oh she's gorgeous. You must be so excited, but the time will fly past. Be interesting to see if she has hazel eyes like my Juno. Lola is a lovely name - nice and short to all when training ;D

18. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Aw, sweetie-pie!

19. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

So sweet!

20. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Beautiful little girl! Congrats!
    We have Charlotte (Charlie) who is a 2 year old lab x cocker and Harry a 3 year old GWP x springer.
    The forums here are invaluable for advice, reassurance, and friendly place to be, every time. And a read through the main site was incredibly helpful, and still is, for us. Welcome!!