Hot paws

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Emily, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Emily

Emily Registered Users

It's warming up here so I always check that the ground is cool enough for Ella to walk on. Yesterday, I thought the path was a bit hot (after about ten seconds of standing bare foot on the path, my foot really started to burn) so I pushed the pram on the edge of the path so that Ella could walk on the grass. She kept pushing back over so that she could walk on the path too.

Do you think a dog would avoid the path if it was too hot (and you give an option to walk on cooler ground) or do you think they'd just walk on it anyway, even if it was hurting them?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My dogs have absolutely no sense when it comes to things like that! I can't trust them to do what's best for themselves - no way. They would easily walk on a surface that was hot if it was a habit (e.g. had previously been reinforced) to do so.

3. Emily

Emily Registered Users

That was my concern. I guess, to be on the safe side, I'll just have to make a judgement call and either force her to walk on a cooler surface or walk at a different time.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yep, probably best.

Charlie will lie in front of the wood burner, or with his back against the hottest part of the aga until I fear his fur will start to singe and I move him! It's freezing here today, and he's hogging the wood burner now.....best go check he's not about to burst into flames! :rolleyes:

drjs@5 likes this.