How did you choose your puppies name?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Darben1976, Oct 10, 2016.

1. ReneeS.

ReneeS. Registered Users

I named Jenny after my Mom. She was so crazy about my first lab, Coco, she had thought of the name. I took my Mom with me when I went to pick her out, (I was widowed only four months at the time) and then again when I went to pick her up and bring her home. My Mom held her on her lap in the car for the ride home. My Mom was so excited and happy with the whole experience. My Mom passed five years ago at 89 and Coco passed this past May so I like to think Coco and my Mom are reunited and I have my beautiful Jenny.

2. Jude

Jude Registered Users

I wanted a two syllable name too, and one I didn't feel silly shouting in public! Judy came from a song that got stuck in my head for weeks before I even found her litter. We had a long list of possible names but Judy was the one we kept coming back to. She really is a Judy, I think we picked right!

3. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

I've always liked the name Bessie, despite the cow association (at least here in the US!). I love Bessie Smith, the blues singer. I even wanted to name my daughter Bessie, but I got such negative feedback about that, I decided to save it for my next female dog. And here she is!

My daughter, eleven years old at the time, named Burke after a nearby mountain where we went snowboarding. We did a lot of calling him Burkie for the two-syllable thing. I have read that they respond best to two syllables that ends with a vowel sound. Burke will respond to anything you call him, even "Refrigerator," ha!

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

My friends dig I'd called shaggy. :rolleyes:

5. Darben1976

Darben1976 Registered Users

Thanks so much for all these great responses and some great names to go on my list too! I must admit I want a two syllable name too, at the moment top for girl is Maddie (probably all colours) and Bailey (chocolate only). But I keep on changing my mind, my 8yr old daughter has her heart set on Maddie though. I like Joey for a male this week, but kids aren't keen

6. Darben1976

Ooh I love Willow and great she's named after something at the breeders - I like it when names mean something. Shadow is a great name too. I always wanted to call our first lab (got him when I was 14) Luke as I said a disciple name was suitable as he was a follower! lol

snowbunny likes this.
  7. Darben1976

Thanks, I like Coooper. I follow a golden retriever on youtube - super cooper sunday, his owner is a blogger, a gamer really but he does a series called super cooper sunday on one of his channels following his story of getting Cooper as a pup, he's 18mths now and its great watching their shows. The surgery will hopefully be a good thing, I have an ongoing pancreas disease and struggling so I'm hoping they agree to it as might make my life better as currently having stents every 3mths which has been hard so I'm hoping they say yes (though that sounds strange wanting surgery).

8. Darben1976

I wondered where the name Loki came from, my friend has a cat called Loki, its a great name and yes that definitely suits! Loki is gorgeous, when I see his picture I start thinking maybe I should go with yellow over chocolate! lol

Sarah B likes this.
  9. Darben1976

Some great names there. There's a Saorise in my daughters class and I have to google it if I'm ever inviting her to a party! I love it though. Love Ronan too.

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  10. Darben1976

I love Lilly, my friend has just got a puppy called Lily or I think that might have made it on our (evergrowing) list!

11. Darben1976

I like Charlie and Love Betsy. One of my childhood friends was called Betsy and I always liked it. A friend has a dog named Betsy, she was from Betwsycodd (spelt wrong probably) hence she went for Betsy. You're right about calling out poncey names in the park!

12. Darben1976

I really like Coco, its a really cute name. I love Belle too, I think that's on my list, so many on there now, but for a yellow lab I think I have Belle. Lol to Whiskey

13. Darben1976

Lol to Doerak, guess that's very fitting for a lab puppy, they are quite naughty! Love Euan and Finn too

14. Darben1976

I love Xena - she is so striking too, absolutely gorgeous. I have Ember on list for black girl as it came up on colour related names, not sure I'd choose it though, though I like Emmie

15. Darben1976

My best friend has a dog called Rolo - i think its sweet. We considered Simba, its the name of my daughters favourite toy though so didn't put it on the list in the end.

16. Darben1976

Truffle is a cute name. Yes I have a chocolate / colour related name for a chocolate lab too (Bailey), it seems many go for a colour theme especially for a chocolate lab.

17. Darben1976

Ooh I like Stanley, might have to add it to my growing list!

18. Darben1976

19. Darben1976

Definitely a lot of thought gone into your dogs names, beautiful names with great stories behind them x

20. Darben1976

Aww Katie is really sweet, it's a name I've always liked the name Katie. Sawyer is a name I only heard of recently from following a flog, I haven't seen lost. Love Kona, I didn't realise it was a type of coffee.