how do you cope ?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by lynnelogan, Dec 2, 2013.

1. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i have posted about shedding,.....i don't no how to cope with this,....today i have hoovered 3 times, before i go to bed i will need to hoover again,....i have got in my lounge laminate flooring, with white furniture,.....i need to replace every thing as i cant cope,....does my dog shed more than any others ? i wont be able to cope with carpet, please help

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Re: how do you cope ?

Lynne, it comes with the territory I'm afraid. I don't worry too much any more, I have wooden flooring with rugs so I sweep and hoover but certainly not 3 times a day. Changing your furniture won't help, please just try to remember it will slow up once he gets his winter coat in. Please don't worry so much Lynne which I know is difficult but life really is too short. Just imagine if you had 4 children and 2 dogs - hair is the last thing on my mind :eek: xx

3. lynnelogan

helen i have got 3 grown up children,....when they was young they never made as much mess as i have got now,....i am thinking jasper sheds more than any one else, no one else moans about it,.....i do have o c d tho,....its driving me mad,....i need to get very thing new, new darker floor , may be

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Lynne I am sorry you have OCD that his a horrible condition to live with.

I don't think changing your floor colour or furniture will help you because you will know the hairs are still there so you will still hoover. Could you take Jasper outside every day to brush him to remove the majority of the hair? I think the shedding is really bad twice a year although Labs do shed continuously. xxx

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Lynn I sympathise and worry as well! I have two Labs, one nearly 8 years old and he has barely shed a hair, my GSP was much worse than he is. I also have a nearly 2 year old Lab and he has been moulting like mad, so much so he looks bare underneath and moth eaten on his legs, I get worried in case he has a skin condition. There is hair everywhere, but not on the dog :D

6. lynnelogan

helen we have him in a good routine, we take him out side every day to brush him, we used the click and treat, now he just sits to be brushed,...i honestly feel like we are living and breathing dog hairs,....he cuddles up to me on the settee, i have had to change all my night wear pjs, house coats to cotton as i could not abide hair on my night clothes, ....... i do love him to bits, i don't want any one to think otherwise ,.....we will get through it, :)

7. lynnelogan

photo taken at 23 25 after jasper as gone to bed after hoovering 3 times today,....is this normal ,
    [​IMG]

8. Emma

Emma Registered Users

What sort of dog is Jasper? I had issues with not wanting a lot of dog hair because i am allergic to per hair and wanted to avoid it so we went for a lab. I hoover and clean the floors once a day about 6pm after the kids have had their tea and then live with it unless we have a particularly large proportion of muddy footprints! We have 6 of us plus Charlie in a tiny terraced house so i have come to the conclusion that the only plus side to the situation is i have less flooring to clean! Does look a lot of hair in the photo but my mother in laws dog is a golden retriever and he could produce that amount of hair just by brushing past you!

9. lynnelogan

he is a lab emma

10. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I know you've mentioned this before, Helen, it is obviously an issue for you. When we first got Simba last June, I did notice that he shed a lot, more than my previous dog, which was a different breed. My hubby is much more bothered by it than I was, although I was starting to sweep in our kitchen and living room more than usual due to the hair gently drifting about. We got a Furminator in August once we got back from our summer away, it worked great to cut down on the hair. However we haven't used it much since September, as the hair situation seems pretty under the control at the moment. I imagine spring will be a different story.

I suppose all our dogs are different in the degree they shed? I know Jasper is on a good diet, or I would suggest to maybe check what he's eating as their diet certainly can effect their skin and coats.

That does look like a lot of hair, especially since you've already hoovered a few times!!

Sorry I can't help much but to send sympathy and hopes that someone will have some suggestions for you.

11. Reuben

Reuben Registered Users

We let the hair build up for a week, not so much that it's noticeable - but at floor level you can see it. Every Saturday, we give the house a going over for about an hour in every room. Kept on top of it because its been a regular schedule for six months. Can't chase every hair, that would drive us insane.

We have coveralls on the sofas and just alternate them every two weeks. I was surprised by just how much they do shed, they're described as 'minimal shedders'. Ours loses nearly as much hair as our previous collie cross. I brush him in the garden once a week, which always produces around a poop bag of loose hair.

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lynne, my previous Lab (black) shed that much. His undercoat would come out in clumps and keep coming - but it was only that bad twice a year, in Spring and Autumn.

Obi sheds much less....or maybe I just think he does because we changed to carpet that matches the dog ???

My solution to the shedding problem was to seriously lower my personal standards and to buy a robot vacuum cleaner to supplement our weekly assault with the Dyson.

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

[quote author=Lisa link=topic=3533.msg39041#msg39041 date=1386031158]
    I know you've mentioned this before, Helen, it is obviously an issue for you. When we first got Simba last June, I did notice that he shed a lot, more than my previous dog, which was a different breed. My hubby is much more bothered by it than I was, although I was starting to sweep in our kitchen and living room more than usual due to the hair gently drifting about. We got a Furminator in August once we got back from our summer away, it worked great to cut down on the hair. However we haven't used it much since September, as the hair situation seems pretty under the control at the moment. I imagine spring will be a different story.

I suppose all our dogs are different in the degree they shed? I know Jasper is on a good diet, or I would suggest to maybe check what he's eating as their diet certainly can effect their skin and coats.

That does look like a lot of hair, especially since you've already hoovered a few times!!

Sorry I can't help much but to send sympathy and hopes that someone will have some suggestions for you.
    [/quote]

Lisa, it's not a problem for me but it is for poor Lynne - ;)

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Now one of these robot vacuum cleaners would be interesting ;D
    I guess your dog would get used to it after a bit.
    Mostly I just hoover a couple times a week or before any one comes over. By my standard have dropped a lot after being a working mum for so long now.
    I have the outlook that dirt is healthy and Dettox spray should be banned after your children pass the 12 month stage. (Also hate antibacterial washing up liquid but thats another story)

I know its not easy for you just to ignore it Lynne. It is more obvious on laminate floors too. Have you tried the furminator yet?

15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I dont know if there is a logical explanation to this, but I`ve discovered over the years that the more you brush , the more they shed ? I dont groom Sam very often at all , he charges about in deep undergrowth which tends to do the job for me . Having said that , we do have the tumbleweed of black hair , even in the bathroom where he never goes , sorry you are struggling Lynne :(

16. lynnelogan

we tried it on sunday,...we got loads of hair off him, just a bit scared of using after reading the feed back,

i have a good hoover an henry,just when i think i have got every hair up, i get the mop out and there they are again black hairs,......i think i may go for a darker floor before christmas,
    if i only hoovered twice a week the house would be covered, :)
    kate they are in my bathroom, i blame mark as he is very dark,.....

17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Kate is right Lynne, the more you brush him the more hairs are shed. I can't actually remember the last time I brushed Charlie, probably about a month ago, but he doesn't shed as much as a full Lab but his coat is glossy and beautiful so not doing him any harm :)

Lynne why don't you just do an experiment and not brush him for say 2 weeks and see what the hair situation is like on your floors, I know this would be tough but it might be less labour intensive in the long term. xxx

18. lynnelogan

i will try that helen,.....will let you no if it cuts my hoovering down any,...i thought about having carpet down, but i think that would drive me mental knowing them pesky black hairs are getting bedded in the carpet,.....people look at me like i am daft when i say having a dog is the hardest thing i have ever done, its not just all the training, its all the extra cleaning :)

19. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I couldn't cope with carpet either Lynne as the hairs would weaver their way in and drive me crazy too, at least with wooden floors a quick sweep or hoover is easy. Good luck with the experiment Lynne. :) The hardest but best thing though ;) xx

20. lynnelogan

they are the best,..... :). very good company, at least he keeps me on my toes :)