How to help my dog with cars

Discussion in 'Behavioural science and dog training philosophy' started by Carol, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Carol

Carol Registered Users

at a bit of loss as to what to do with my two year old chocolate labrador. It is not cars in general, just the loud 'boy racer' type cars that make a very loud revving noise with the occassional 'bang' coming from the exhaust. He was spooked just over 9 months ago and everyone has said just be patient, he'll come round. I have tried bringing treats to distract him but now if he hears one of the cars he wont even leave the garden for a walk. As i said it is'nt all cars - large lorries dont even bohter him - and since he was 12 weeks we have taken him to motocross races with loud noises coming from the bikes but i suppose the car noise is a different pitch maybe. He doesnt like fireworks either. I am just worried about the lack of walking this causes sometimes.
    Has anyone any ideas?

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: How to help my dog with cars

I'm afraid other than do with cars what you've done with motocross I don't have any suggestions. There's a gundog training place near Thruxton racetrack if you're anywhere near otherwise I'd be checking out the OS map for my nearest track to see how close I could get. Then get there before racing starts a nice long way away and gradually work closer.

Best of luck :)