I am a puppy GRANDMA!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Karen, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Very cute!

3. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

He is gorgeous! Congrats to parents and grandparents!

4. Sarah B

Sarah B Registered Users

Aww bless. He's sweet :) I wouldn't mind having Central Park on my doorstep :D

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello from the NYPD (New York Puppy Dog) :)

Screen Shot 2016-09-16 at 15.37.46.png

6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Wow, he's growing up quickly :)

Karen likes this.
  7. MF

MF Registered Users

No shortage of dog walkers in NYC. I just love this one: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/20/nyregion/dressed-to-lead-the-pack.html?_r=0

“Some of these people love their dogs better than their wives or husbands,” said Mr. Caldwell ... Mr. Caldwell, too, is always impeccably turned out. He walked the dogs through Riverside Park on a recent weekday in an outfit that seemed to borrow equally from Ralph Lauren, Indiana Jones and the Marlboro Man: boots, rugged canvas pants, an olive green sweater and a matching vest bearing a self-drawn logo for his dog-walking company, Royal Wolves.​

I was in NYC last year and I was impressed with how many people were out and about with their dogs. The dog parks in Manhattan weren't the greatest compared to what we have here (very small, mostly tarred or just bare earth), but nevertheless the dogs and owners all looked happy and relaxed.

Karen and Xena Dog Princess like this.
  8. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

He is very sweet, what a pretty face :)

Karen likes this.
  9. Granca

Granca Registered Users

He looks great! We'll expect a blow-by-blow account when you visit next month too!

Karen likes this.
  10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

He is adorable x

Karen likes this.
  11. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Gorgeous! And I don't envy them with a dog in NYC, but where there's a will, there's a way! :)

Karen likes this.
  12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

:heart:

Karen likes this.
  13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ear envy,ear envy! Xxxxxx

snowbunny and Karen like this.
  14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Took his first trip on the subway:

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 10.45.08.png

And relaxing at home afterwards:

Screen Shot 2016-09-28 at 10.45.25.png

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

He's going to be quite small I think, 10 kilos at 20 weeks old, so will probably end up around 15 kilos, about the size of a beagle or brittany spaniel. Lovely!

I'm sure he has some pit bull in him; look at those ears!

snowbunny likes this.
  16. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

He's adorable!

17. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh he's gorgeous,still,with the ear envy here ,and kudos to your Grandpup..he's made it right up onto the couch straight away! X

Karen and MF like this.
  18. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Oh he is gorgeous, what lovely photos :)

Karen likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Thought I'd give a quick update: Alto is absolutely adorable and has completely won my heart, of course! He is very quick to learn, and lies down quietly on his mat during mealtimes, because he's learnt that he gets treats if he does so :) He does however have a bad habit of putting his paws up on the kitchen counter to see what's going on, and I fear may become something of a counter surfer... He walks beautifully on the lead (except when tired, when he has to be carried; not so easy with a 12 kg puppy). He loves other dogs, and can be a bit rough when playing, especially with dogs of his own size, but is careful with smaller dogs. He is clean and dry in the apartment, and hasn't had an accident at home for around 10 days, so daughter thinks they have cracked the toilet training, yay! Life in Brooklyn with a dog is challenging, but there are parks to go to and lots and lots of well-socialized and happy dogs around, and he has lots of friends, both human and canine. Recall training is tricky, because he can only be off lead in the parks, and when there are other dogs around training the recall is difficult, so they have to visit at times of day when there wont be too many distractions, but I am sure they will get there. He stays in the crate for 3-4 hours in the afternoon, otherwise he has company all day and night long, and the long-term plan is that he can be with them in the office during the afternoon (he already goes in with one or the other of them one day a week). Daughter was feeling a bit guilty about him not having access to the woods and fields for lots of free running, but I was able to reassure her that he has a lovely life - lots of love, good food, warm and comfortable shelter, company, exercise, lots of opportunity to socialize with other dogs, and training sessions to occupy his mind.

I love him... Poppy was jolly cross with me when I got home, sniffed me all over and kept giving me VERY disapproving and suspicious looks. Luckily she forgave me on the second day back!

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 11.57.56.png

Kelsey&Axel, Atemas, CMartin and 7 others like this.
  20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh, I meant to say, I was absolutely astonished to see they have not puppy proofed the apartment at all! There are books everywhere, and plants, and blankets etc. It's true he is never left alone out of the crate, but I am certain Poppy would have trashed the place pretty quickly if she had been there as a puppy!