I am curious - How to teach STOP to Whistle?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by charlie, Feb 11, 2013.

1. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: I am curious - How to teach STOP to Whistle?

No , I havent tried this, but I will do, thanks for the reminder Heidrun, he is such a good lad the vast majority of the time and he does love to carry :)

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? Now your all really confusing me ??? ??? ??? ??? Helen

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Bit technical for me too :-\
    We aren't very good at retrieving. Think we will work just on the stop whistle as we already can do a reasonable stop on a recall run towards us with a hand signal (ok...I mean my daughter Sophie can ;D )
    Very impressed with your video Heidrun 8)

jac

4. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=charlie link=topic=1190.msg7490#msg7490 date=1360699659]
    ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? Now your all really confusing me ??? ??? ??? ??? Helen
    [/quote]

Sorry Helen, this thread got a bit derailed talking about retrieving and delivery problems when we should be talking about the stop whistle! Have you managed to watch the video clip yet? :)

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Don't watch it Helen!!!!
    It will make you feel REALLY jealous LOL.
    My computer downloaded it when I clicked on it and asked me to chose if media player was ok - then it disappeared but I found it in search/downloads if thats any help?

jac

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

No problem, for some reason we can't run it - sorry I would have loved to watch it. Thanks Helen x

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Jac, I have clicked on everything and it WON'T do it ::) I am so curious now and I always feel jealous anyway ;D Helen

8. heidrun

9. kateincornwall

Like Helen , I couldnt open this before , just watched it on youtube , oh my goodness me, what a mountain we have to climb and I thought we were doing well :)

10. David

David Registered Users

Indeed!

11. heidrun

Oh no, guys, don't forget, Caddie is a trained gundog with three shooting seasons as a picking up dog under her belt. ;) I just wanted to show you how I usually use the stop whistle and keep it rewarding for the dog by redirecting her on to another retrieve. But it also means that in an emergency I can stop her if she was heading for danger. It is by far the most useful command for my dogs and I practise and train for it relentlessly. :) But obviously it takes quite some time to train a keen retriever to stop on the outrun to a retrieve. You need to do a lot of ground work first. ;)

Anyway, you all have a big advantage over me, if it is true what they say about Labradors and springers - Labradors are born half trained and springers die half trained. ;) ;D :p

12. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Haha!! Not sure everyone on here would be completely in agreement about the Labradors born half trained bit!!!!! ;D

13. David

David Registered Users

I think it's more the Labs are born half trained and the owners end up half trained. ;D

14. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thanks Heidrun have just watched it and that's amazing, you must work your socks off to get to that standard :D

Yeah I have watched it and Jac you were right, shouldn't have watched it!! ;)

I have yet another question, what verbal command do you give to retrieve? I use "get it" and "bring it" "find the ball/dummy". This might be a fluke but I have just returned with Charlie from the paddock, he did a long sit/stay I threw the ball to my right and without any verbal command I just used a right hand signal and he retrieved, but ran off with it ::) repeated with a left hand and he did it again. Is this good or not so good?

Thanks Helen :D

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

In my case the Labrador/Pointer will end up half trained and the owner will end up dead :eek: Helen x

16. kateincornwall

And I would die happy if we could achive anything remotely close to that :)

17. heidrun

[quote author=charlie link=topic=1190.msg7507#msg7507 date=1360749790]
    Thanks Heidrun have just watched it and that's amazing, you must work your socks off to get to that standard :D

Yeah I have watched it and Jac you were right, shouldn't have watched it!! ;)

I have yet another question, what verbal command do you give to retrieve? I use "get it" and "bring it" "find the ball/dummy". This might be a fluke but I have just returned with Charlie from the paddock, he did a long sit/stay I threw the ball to my right and without any verbal command I just used a right hand signal and he retrieved, but ran off with it ::) repeated with a left hand and he did it again. Is this good or not so good?

Thanks Helen :D
    [/quote]

Well, from what you are describing Helen, you are putting two exercises together. The long sit which Charlie can do really well followed by a retrieve, which he hasn't mastered yet. I would keep the two separate for now and just go back to him and reward with treats or some play time for a good sit/stay. Meanwhile I would do a bit more work on training the retrieve so that he will bring it back to you each and every time. :)
    I use very few verbal commands, it is less confusing for the dog. I don't want to get too technical on this but here are just a couple of the commands I use, and please, remember every trainer I know uses slightly different commands.
    'Back' for a seen and a blind retrieve ( a lot of people use two different commands for this}
    'Out' for left and right directional work
    'Lost' to indicate to the dog he is in the drop area (hi-lost is commonly used by labrador people and/or a whistle command).

Those are just a few commands I use. There are a few more but I tend to keep the commands to one word and always use the same word . It is much much easier for the dog to learn and understand.
    So, 'Back' means to my dogs run out in a straight line until he/she sees or smells the dummy or bird, or until I blow the stop whistle.
    I hope that makes sense. I find it a lot easier to train my dogs than to explain it to people. :p

18. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Thank you, I will concentrate on his retrieves, I do lots of play with him when he does sit/stays also heel work with a ball. I really just need a solid recall and a stop to whistle if at all possible for when he has completed his recall training as he is always on high alert and keeping him close is difficult also ???. The rest seems to be for you experts out there ;) Getting this far has been more than a challenge for me :eek: Helen :)

19. heidrun

[quote author=charlie link=topic=1190.msg7512#msg7512 date=1360753352]
    when he has completed his recall training as he is always on high alert and keeping him close is difficult
    [/quote]

Helen, I don't mean to depress you but recall training is never complete. I train for it every day and the slightest sign that it might be going a bit iffy, I will train even harder. ;D

And welcome to my world. 'High Alert' is my spaniels' middle name. :D ;)

Serious, though, I know how difficult it can be with a very high drive dog like Charlie. My Alice is always scanning the horizon for something that might interest her. It is because of her that I started to train the way I do. And it is because of her that I have a dog like Caddie who can do those little tricks on the lawn. But I do completely understand that it is not easy. :)

20. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=heidrun link=topic=1190.msg7517#msg7517 date=1360755890]
    My Alice is always scanning the horizon for something that might interest her.
    [/quote]

I know that feeling!!! Riley looks even harder after a recall or a sit cos he's convinced I'm out to spoil his fun. Hence all manner of squeaky balls, dummies and treats in my pockets in attempt to be fun and interesting in my own right :) So much easier in the winter in my dads old Barbour with massive pockets I have to take the game bag in the summer.