Information about Alabama Rot - please read, you may be able to help

Discussion in 'Labrador health' started by editor, Apr 8, 2014.

1. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Absolutely awful, so sorry about the poor Spaniel Lochan :( We clean our dogs every day during the winter, fill up a large watering can with hot water and by the time we return from walks it's just right. We do it to clean the mud off but if helps wash toxins away all the better.

Really hope something can be done about this and fast.

Lochan likes this.
  2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Forgot to say, thank you for listing the symptoms too, this is really very helpful as a case was reported about 25 miles from us :( it's all so very worrying. x

Lochan likes this.
  3. Lisa

Lisa Moderator Forum Supporter

Such a worry! I have googled it but I can't see that there have been any cases in Canada yet...which is kinda weird seeing there is so much travel between the US and here. Horrible disease, I hope the researchers get a better understanding of what exactly is going on soon.

Lochan likes this.
  4. Lochan

Lochan Moderator Forum Supporter

Amazon were excellent with their delivery and the portashower arrived this morning. I filled it with 5l hot water from the tap and set off for the usual 5 mile hike with the girls. By the time I got back to the car the water was lukewarm, fine for a shower. I sprayed both dogs from top to toe and my boots with the 5l of water. The pressure is not great, and I wouldn't use it to rinse off shampoo as I don't think it would work well for that but it took all the mud off both dogs quite easily and is really quite good for doing their undercarriage - Lochan in particular hates a cold water hosing on her undercarriage! So overall a success and as it is no hassle to fill it with water from the tap and take it with me every day I can see I will continue to use it. And it made me feel better about the Alabama Rot too!

drjs@5 and editor like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Horrible to hear about the Alabama Rot, and the poor spaniel too, Lochan.

I am very interested about the portashower and will have a look on Amazon.

editor likes this.
  6. Debs

Debs Supporting Member Forum Supporter

There's been a case of Alabama Rot in the Battle, East Sussex. Local vets are warning owners to be alert and watch out for symptoms.

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Keep safe everyone xx

8. editor

editor Administrator