Interesting article on how activities after training affect what dogs remember

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Karen, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

That is really interesting, Karen, thanks for the share.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think that's interesting - I think in the experiment, the dogs were playing with a handler. I wouldn't want my puppy playing with other dogs at the end of a class. It's hard enough to get her to ignore other dogs in class, and to consolidate the idea that we are there to do stuff together (not do stuff with the other dogs) without her spending the whole session waiting to be allowed to pounce on the other dogs at the end. That very well may depend on what personality of dog you have though! :D

Stacia likes this.
  4. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Yes, a really interesting article, thanks. I always play with Molly after our training classes, in the recreation grounds outside the halls. As it's 9pm when we finish, and dark now, the others think I'm crackers - so hooray I can now claim there's a legitimate reason for it! ;)

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I see that, but I think the article isn't talking about puppies so much as older dogs?

6. Joy

Joy Registered Users

It was also interesting that in the control group the dogs weren't allowed to sleep while lying down afterwards. Is the implication that sleep may perform the same function for memory retrieval as play?

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Does that make a difference? Anyway, my point was slightly off topic. :) Play is good, and it's interesting to hear that it might be useful for consolidating training. I think play with a handler is very much more constructive, and improves engagement and focus on the handler, than play with other dogs. Of course this will be much more important for dogs who find ignoring other dogs difficult compared to dogs who find that easy.

I wonder if the effects are better again if play is used as a reinforcer for the training itself?

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Also how stimulated the dogs are during the training itself. That is, if the training is approached like a game, with enthusiasm, compared to being dry and simply task-oriented. My dogs certainly learn better when the game is engaging, but whether they retain it any better to the next session, I don't know.

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I agree, in this article he is talking about playing with the handler after a training session, not a wild hooley with the other dogs. The point seemed to be that the lesson, if paired with some sort of positive marker, is retained better. Maybe in that case, for optimum retention, the handler should change the play from time to time, sometimes a game with a ball, sometimes tuggy games, a game of chase... Although, depending on the dogs in question, a run-around with the other dogs could arguably have the same effect.

10. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think it was rather that linking emotional arousal with the lesson led to better retention.

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, I noticed that too. It might be that the brain switching off - through rest or play - is the thing. When we train for many sessions at clicker camp, we were told it was important the dogs rested properly between sessions (not spinning round in their crates waiting to get out). Control unleashed says the same thing.

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

During our Guide Dog puppy classes the pups and handlers do lessons for 20 minutes, then play with their handler for five minutes then the same again. We finish with a long down/stay.