It's a Grade One Challenge

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by editor, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Re: It's a Grade One Challenge

Thanks Heidrun - I think we've probably got a way to go in that case.

2. JulieT

JulieT Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I just checked the book - steadiness isn't a requirement at grade one (it is for the others though). So you can hold your dog for grade one.

3. Tina D

Tina D Registered Users

One other thing about the tests that has put me off a bit, is that I would prefer, if I didn't make the grade, that we weren't included in the reported information about the test, as in "still working towards Grade.." Not sure what others think about this? Very happy to be mentioned if we make the grade though! ;D

4. JulieT

I bet if you asked the assessor and your instructor not to be mentioned, they'd oblige. :)

5. Tina D

Tina D Registered Users

Thank you Julie. One of my New Year Resolutions then, is going to be getting started on the Grades!

6. LisaB

LisaB Registered Users

I would love to do my grade one, but I'm unsure as to what is involved in the retrieve...does the dog need to be able to present the dummy to you for grade one? ...this might be a bit of a challenge (one we are still working on) but I think we could do everything else. Any thoughts on how it compares to KC Bronze or Silver for the heel work/recall?

I'm very tempted but this is the first time I've ever even contemplated training my lab as a gundog my first lab puppy but 3rd lab...I was just grateful they came back ..never really tried to train them but am getting the bug!

7. JulieT

The dummy has to come within a metre of the handler for grade one. :). Delivery to hand not required.

8. LisaB

LisaB Registered Users

Thanks Julie...think I'll get the book and give it a go

9. JAYMZ

JAYMZ Registered Users

This might be a bit naughty but... I have just ordered The Right Start as recommended together with Passing Grade One. I noticed however that TRS is on a two week lead. Is there any chance of getting a scan/pdf of the first few pages or just enough to get me started? I don;t want to be doing things now which will turn out to be incorrect on receipt of the book. I can post up confirmation of my order to prove I'm not pulling a fast one!

Thanks ???

Received the books a couple of days after ordering, so panic over!

10. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Aaah got grade one test on Wednesday with Murphy! Did some practice today at furry yoof club, and he was fine with the waits but wouldn't stay sat, he lead down both times. I presume I will lose marks for this in the test? I don't know why he did it as he doesn't usually. The only time he has led down in the past is when I move towards him after a wait (rather than recall him) I don't know how I can stop him lying down?

11. heidrun

heidrun Moderator Forum Supporter

He has probably learnt that it takes a certain amount of time before you recall him. I can't remember what the duration for a sit/stay is in grade one, but in training do you always wait for that time before you recall him? I would mix it up a bit with some much shorter sit/stays and some longer than the time required for the test. That will keep him guessing. :)

12. Fwhitt246

It's 2 mins and I always vary the time and don't usually recall him, I mostly walk back to him so that he doesn't start to preempt me calling him and breaking his wait. It was just annoying that today we did 2 waits for about a min (this was in a field with 3 other dogs and owners watching) and the first time he lead down half way through, and the second time he lead down as soon as I walked away I think because after walking away 20m and turning he was already lead down! Hopefully it was just a one off, but if he does it in the grade test will we fail or just lose points?

13. heidrun

heidrun Moderator Forum Supporter

I don't think you would fail. Depending on the judge you might or might not lose a point or two. Personally it wouldn't worry me one little bit, shows he is relaxed and not just about to break the stay. :)

14. JulieT

I don't think you will lose any marks for this - there is nothing in the grade standard about sitting or lying down (it says tell the dog to stay with one command), but of course the instructor on the day can take whatever view they want. In theory, you shouldn't lose marks. I usually tell Charlie down and wait because he is more steady in a down. I can't see the big deal, myself.

15. Fwhitt246

Ok cool thank you :) Geoff who is testing me was really nice on the phone so il chat to him on the day x

16. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi, I want to order the grade 1 book and was wondering if The Right Start book would be really helpful too. I already have The Happy Puppy, Total Recall and The Labrador Handbook. I'm a real novice, never trained a dog before, my puppy is 5 months old. I've been teaching him to put his Kong and ball into my hand the last few days but after reading articles on Totally Gundogs I think I may be doing too much too soon. Advice needed please.

17. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh and started getting him to wait before I send him off, whoops, could be another mistake on my part.

18. JulieT

I found The Right Start really helpful, I think I bought it when my boy was about 4 months old. It did tell me quite a few things that I should have done from the get go, but it still put me on the right track. I bought the whole set and didn't regret it.

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

The Grade 1 book is useful, but be prepared to question some things that are in it; it's a pretty old book now and some of the strategies aren't entirely positive, so as you're reading it, if you ever think something sounds like it might be a bit aversive (there's stuff in there about talking gruffly to your dog if he gets something wrong, for example), feel free to come and ask questions. I've not read The Right Start, so can't guide you on that one, but I would absolutely recommend the Kay Laurence book Clicker Training: The Perfect Foundation, which comes with two DVDs, and is the precursor to another excellent book, Clicker Gundog by Helen Phillips. I don't want to sound like I'm putting you off the GDC book; the Grade 1 book is obviously perfect if you're planning on working through your grades, and even if you're not, I think it's nice to read about different drills for doing similar things, so you can find which works best in your scenario. The majority of it is absolutely fine, but you just need to make sure that, with whatever book or article you're reading, you're questioning the reasons why and whether it sounds entirely positive to you. If not, decide whether it's something you're happy to go along with anyway, or whether you'd rather find another method. That part is up to you. Times change, methods move on, but text stays written.

Are you planning on working Dexter? If not, I wouldn't get too bogged down in the intricacies of what to train when. The biggest thing is not to bore him by having too many retrieves, or stifle his enthusiasm by demanding too much steadiness. So, a couple of retrieves a day is great; leaving him wanting more so that he stays keen. It's (apparently) a lot easier to add steadiness later than it is to add enthusiasm. That said, it doesn't hurt to work on a bit of impulse control at a young age, so working on a bit of steadiness, as long as it's not overdone, isn't a bad thing - and can actually add to the enthusiasm if done correctly - just try to make it part of the game. If you approach everything in training as a game, to be enjoyed, you'll go a long way. :)

20. JulieT

The enthusiasm/steadiness thing is interesting - it really depends on the dog and how much drive they have to retrieve. I'd have been better off asking for steadiness from the get go, but for other dogs that would have turned them off retrieving completely. By the time I saw a gundog instructor when he was 5 months old, it was already clear steadiness was going to be a BIG problem....