Jets "Kilicranvale" Puppies!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by tullimore1976, Jun 18, 2015.

1. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

Good to hear that Jet is doing well. Mastitis is quite common but good job you spotted it so quickly - she'll be fine in no time.
    Try to feed the smallest one first and then let his siblings to join - as he's the smallest it's natural they are pushing him away.
    I've seen pics on fb - they are adorable :)

2. tullimore1976

tullimore1976 Registered Users

So Jet has had her antibiotics for a couple of days now, the only problem now is she wont eat her food. Of course if i show her a Winalot biscuit she will eat it, or if were eating cereal or toast etc shes begging, but shes completely ignoring her food, soft or hard. She is drinking plenty though.
    Shes very down and lying about quite a bit, may have to bring her back to see the Vet. Just wondering is it a type of post-natal??

3. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

Take her to the vets. If she's not herself it might be some infection going. Check her temperature. Diid you scan her after labour? Have you counted all afterbirths?

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Sorry to hear she's not herself....I would be going to the vets to get her checked,I'm always on the side of cautious x

5. tullimore1976

Jet was at the vets on Wednesday where they gave her some antibiotics. She took her temperature and said she was fine. She has just got very lethargic the past 24hrs. Wont touch her food at all but ive given her bread and she wolfed it down, also she finished off my sons ham sandwich and she also ate a raw egg.
    So her appetite must be fine, just shes off her normal kibble and the puppy kibble? Even tinned dog food or pouches arent appealing to her. Also she hasnt been in with the pups today which i dont mind too much as the pups have been clearing each meal (soaked in Royal Canin puppy milk) four times a day!
    All afterbirths came out. Vet felt her stomach after the births and said she was lovely and soft so there was no problems there.
    Have another vet appt at 3 today so i'll keep you all posted. Just upset watching Jet becoming so thin. At least shes drinking.

6. tullimore1976

So, got Jet to the vet. Got the vet who owns the practice who has alot of experience.
    Jets temp was fine, all his checks showed she was hydrated well.
    The only thing he could find was that her stomach area was very sore. He asked was her toilet habits ok and i told him all was working fine.
    He told me to try more egg, bread etc and to let her eat whatever she wants until she has her proper appetite and strength back.
    This afternoon and this evening, she had another 2 slices of bread, another egg, 3 sausages and half a chicken fillet! So ive just to keep her going like this for the next few days.
    Even though its a Sunday tomorrow he said he would phone me at some stage to check how shes getting on and if she goes down hill further he will do bloods and take an x-ray but he honestly doesnt think it will come to that.
    He just thinks the pups have finally taken their toll on her and shes going to need time to recover. So he gave her another antibiotic shot as well as a pain killing shot.
    So hopefully Jet will begin to pick up tomorrow now that she has eaten some things. Appreciate everyones thoughts!

7. Joy

Joy Registered Users

It must be a worry for you, but the vet sounded reassuring and good to hear Jet has eaten something. Hope she has a good night and looks perkier tomorrow.

8. tullimore1976

All was quiet last night and i noticed a wee bit of milk on the floor this morning from her, so i think she had been in feeding the pups a little. I gave her bread, egg and sausage this morning and she wolfed the whole lot down and then went for a walk and did her usuals lol. Think its just going to be slow getting her back to eating normal again, but at least shes getting something into her tummy and keeping it down. Im not at all worried about the pups now as they are thriving, just want my wee pet to get back to herself again!

9. Joy

Joy Registered Users

That sounds encouraging - perhaps she thinks she deserves some special treatment. ;)

10. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

Good news then :)
    Fingers crossed she's back to herself soon :)

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad Jet is getting back to being herself again . What a worry they are!

12. tullimore1976

4 weeks old now. They are getting a handful lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gorgeous little mischief makers :)

14. BuffyDog

BuffyDog Registered Users

So very cute!!

15. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

Really cute little ones :)
    How's Jet doing?

16. tullimore1976

Jets doing a whole lot better thanks Beata. She ate a good feed this morning and im slowly beginning to add her normal kibble and she ate some this evening. Took her for a gentle walk today and she wanted to retrieve sticks which i only did a few times as she was still tiring quickly.
    At our first potential owner visit today. Your questionnaire was perfect and they were only too willing to answer all questions. They live in a house with 30acres of fields!! They had a labrador which was 8 and died from a tumour in February. They were due to go and collect a puppy today but the person let them down with no papers and no proof the puppies had been wormed.
    They said they felt completely at ease with me and were happy that i was so transparent with my explanations of Jet and the stud dog etc. So little "Thomas Tank" has a new home in 4 weeks, pending home check!

17. Granca

Granca Registered Users

They look great! Hope all continues to improve for Jet.

18. Naya

Naya Registered Users

They look so scrummy . Glad Jet seems to be slowly getting back to herself

19. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

I'm really glad that Jet is improving & that pups are doing well :)
    Good to read that I was helpful as well ;)
    Let's hope all of the pups will go to wonderful homes.

20. tullimore1976

So 3 pups now have potential homes (4 if you include my little blue), so 4 more to go!!! Beata, that questionnaire and contract have been brilliant, and any of the people viewing have told me they dont mind signing the contract upon collection of the puppy. They also commented that it showed how much i loved and cared for the puppies and they've all been delighted that the pups have been brought up in a family environment.
    I had to turn down one man though who rang to buy a pup and he was 82! I invited him around to see the pups anyway but i knew there was no way i could sell him a pup. He had no-one living with him and his old lab of 11 had died in February. He wanted a docile pup but i explained about house training and he said there was no need for that as it would be out in the pen all night and day but he would "try" to walk it at night?!? He also said his daughters would prefer he got an older lab. Anyway i told him he could come and see them but when he came to the door and met my wife, Jet followed Valerie into the hall to the front door, as soon as the man seen Jet, he just said he would just leave it lol!! Saved me having to tell him he wasnt suitable. Also had another man who lived a good 1hr and a half away from me. He asked had both parents had health checks, I explained Jet hadnt and he then said would i bring all the male pups up to him so he could assess them?!?!?!? There are some odd ones about lol.
    Anyway Jet is doing so much better but still wants to jump into the whelping box all the time to attend to the pups, it ended up Jet sleeps seperate now at night from the pups and it seems to be working out. She is leaking milk everywhere, but this morning there wasnt as much on the floor.
    She is back to eating again and loving her walks. So pups all doing well, Jet doing well and i have half the pups reserved and i have another potential owner visiting as well. Its been hard work and will continue to be, but im loving it!!