Jumping up - new strategy.

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Boogie, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

As most of you know, Tatze is a total terror for jumping up at us and any visitors who walk in the house.

Out and about we lure her past people with a treat, it works well. In the house nothing worked, nothing at all.

But I've learned a new strategy for when I get home and it's worked 100% for the last few days.

I lift my leg to 'block' her. I do NOT knee her or touch her at all, just lift my leg so that my knee is up and pointing past her - so my leg parallel to her. When she's calm she gets fuss, treats etc. I learned this off a friend.

:doug::happyfeet::doug:

Granca, Debs and Naya like this.
  2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My best tip is to 'block your face' - hold your hands out, palm down, look at the back of your hands and make sure you can't see the dog's eyes. If you think of what this looks like to the dog, it's like a shield across your face. It really works.

Granca and drjs@5 like this.
  3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

OMGoodness - it works!

So now I have two strategies- the leg thing when I walk into the room and the hand thing when sitting down.

Now to teach everyone else - especially my brother, who lives with us three days a week - he gets the very worst of the jumping treatment!

:doug:

drjs@5 and JulieT like this.
  4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Fab! Ok, so when I say it was 'my' tip....actual credit is Helen Phillips (author of Clicker Gundog). :D

drjs@5, Debs and Naya like this.
  5. ChicoSue

ChicoSue Registered Users

6. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Tested this out on Sunday with a very excited Staffie - it works! Thank you for sharing. Keen to test it out on Xena, just need to have some visitors who're happy to play along.