Keeping your dog close on a walk

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by snowbunny, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

We play most of the games mentioned, definitely going to be a hunter tomorrow if Dexter gives me the chance to actually scatter some treats, not that I want him to go too far from me.
    I absolutely love our walks, just the two of us. I add in training and all sorts of fun, it's a very special time for me to get out and about with my boy and interact and enjoy each other. I always take my phone in case of emergencies and one of us gets hurt and I need help or to take a photo/video of my dog.

Naya likes this.
  2. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Unfortunately, due to the laws here, the majority of our walks are on lead with bits and pieces of off lead time (I'm always hunting out off lead areas and get to do a reasonable amount of off lead walking when I'm at my parents in the country but not as much as I'd like). This means I have to work extra hard to ensure that our walks are interactive and enjoyable for both of us. We spend a lot of time looking and sniffing for exciting things and Ella and I are "chatting" along the way. When I stopped (to pick up poo) the other day I realised that a lady had been following with her dog for some time and as she walked past she commented "my goodness you do talk to your dog an awful lot". She had a judgemental look on her face but I took it as a compliment :D

I realised the other day that I'd unintentionally created a magic cue "what's this? " - said more like "wassis?". I've always said this on walks when looking for and finding exciting things to pick up/sniff/play with. Then, the other day we suddenly found ourselves in a squishy situation with two kids, a dog, a bike rider and a lady with a pram. Ella looked like she was on drugs with the anticipation and excitement. I quickly said "what's this (wassis)?" and grabbed the closest thing is could see. Ella immediately gave me her attention! Amazing! I think I'll keep that one up my sleeve for future :D

Newbie Lab Owner and snowbunny like this.
  3. Gwenda

Gwenda Registered Users

4. Gwenda

Gwenda Registered Users

Such good advice will try this too. Will also look for a good trainer in this area to reinforce ouir training. thanks.