Kennel Cough

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by caroleb, Jan 2, 2012.

1. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Can anyone tell me how long it's best to keep dogs away from other dogs after kennel cough? I've read various reports about them shedding infectious material from 72 hours or upto 20 weeks!

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Kennel Cough

Sorry Carole I don't have the information you need, but if it is your dogs that are ill, I hope they get well soon.
    Pippa

3. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

thanks Pippa, yes both boys went down with it on Saturday. Barney is worse but only I think because he coughs when he exerts himself, Rusty hardly ever gets that excited! The Vet says they are OK once symptom free but to keep clear of other dogs " as long as possible to be on the safe side". They are fine in themselves, not poorly with it, but it doesn't sound awful poor things. I too have a cold so that's the entire house now!

It might mean Rusty can't take his grade two on Sunday - I'm waiting to hear from the The Gundog Club - it just doesn't seemed well starred this assessment!

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

hope they both get better soon and you too !

Barbara

5. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Poor boys! Hope they get well soon and that they aren't keeping you awake too much with the coughing!

6. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

thanks everyone - and Sam - they are almost cough free since I started giving them manuka honey (easy) and lemon juice (not easy even with a lab!) now it's once in the morning until they get their honey so the coughing isn't a problem. I've also given them a beta-glucan supplement to boost the autonomic immune system. So the symptoms aren't really a problem so much as having two bored labs in the house. To really rub salt into the wound I've got an irritated disc in my lower spine which is giving sciatic pain and the best rememdy? walking!! it just doesn't seem right walking without my boys. :mad: Not a great start to the New Year but - hey it's going to get a lot better really soon - I decided.

7. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi Carole

How funny - we've just started giving our little boy honey for his nighttime cough, after finding that trials showed it worked better than the standard cough suppressant. No trouble getting him to take it, either!

Sam.

8. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Good idea Sam - has it worked for him? It stopped the dogs coughing after the first dose they stopped immediately and only started again in the morning. I'm pleased to say we've been cough free for 3 days now so I took them out this morning much to their delight and my relief.

Have you used manuka honey at all? it's been proven to be a natural antibiotic - the very high strength stuff has been used to disinfect gangrenous wounds! Some hospital dressings now come impregnated with it. The higher the "active" number the stronger the effect. I always have a jar of 15 in the house in case I get a cold or a cut. This is about the highest strength you can get in the supermarket you can get much higher in health shops.