Kibble

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by simonD, Nov 1, 2016.

1. simonD

simonD Registered Users

I know been thousands same enquiry about decent kibble. It is clearly a minefield with some members advising disregarding so called food analysis sites. I am sticking with kibble for our 10 month old lab for convenience and young child in family and don't want raw at the moment. He came from breeder on Arden Grange. I was advised to change to Acana by a dog nutritionist - he was OK on it and to be honest been OK on anything we have tried. Perhaps Millies Wolfheart seemed to suit best(Riverside mix). He seems to struggle to keep weight on but as still a puppy, this does seem to come and go. currently on Canagan - another advised product - again OK. I know it sounds like I'm chopping and changing all the time-I'm not and when I do have done it very slowly. To cut a long story short - is there such a thing as a shortlist of good quality kibble - I wish there was. I fear the answers I am going to get is that there are hundreds of decent kibbles out there - i.e. I will probably, therefore, never find "ideal" food. Being a Labrador site, it would be great to have a shortlist of UK available recommended kibble - if only to stop me looking at next variety. I am only doing this in belief I want the best for the dog. Or maybe I should just feed any old reasonable stuff as long as he OK on it and leave at that forever? Certainly got more complex since my last dog with advent of grain free, different %meat etc etc. It really is minefield.
    Thanks for any comments

2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

What is prompting you to change when you say he is OK on a particular brand? What is making you think another brand is "better" than one you've tried?

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Most of the good quality kibbles (such as the ones you've listed) are much of a muchness. I'd find one he's happy on and stick with it. If there are any problems - skin, gastro etc - then you can look at changing and be methodical about working out what ingredients he has issues with, but if he's a regular Lab, with no problems, he'll be just as good on one as another. You can compare the advised weights to find out if one is better value that another, regardless of price (some cheaper foods you have to feed more of - and more comes out the other end - so can be false economy).

What reason did the nutritionist give for changing from Arden Grange to Acana?

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes! Pretty much! :D

5. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

Yep! Mine is now raw fed as he flatly refused to eat kibble of any variety. I may have the only picky Lab in the county!

Kelsey&Axel likes this.