Labrador - Ben Fogle

Discussion in 'Books' started by Karen, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Got this as a Christmas present, and while it was quite entertaining I ended up feeling disappointed by it. Poorly written I thought - and badly edited. A shame, as Ben Fogle comes across as being such a nice man, and genuinely loves dogs and in particular Labradors. But I thought it was superficial, and a bit of a 'Christmas Book'.

Has anyone else read it, and if so what did you think?

2. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I got a copy for Christmas as well, haven't started it yet as I'm still wading through Decembers library books AND trying to finish a cardigan for my mum. Hope it not too bad as I like Ben Fogle too.

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I wouldn't say it was bad exactly.. just a bit frothy really. Perfectly pleasant reading. But have your hanky ready for the tear-jerking first chapter!!

4. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I started this book back in November, remember the tear-jerker in the first chapter but haven't got much further. I could put it down to the move, Christmas, New Year but unfortunately would have to say the book just didn't grab me :(. Currently reading a book by Sarah Whitehead so might try again afterwards

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I got it for Christmas too! I haven't read it yet...haven't read the books I bought at ClickerExpo in October yet!

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I've come to the conclusion that I should only have e-books and not paper/hard backs - except Pippa's book. I read them cover to cover no problem :D

7. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Yes, I had it for Christmas too. I tend to agree with Karen: it's a bit 'frothy', a mixture of interesting facts interspersed with personal anecdotes - and that tear-jerking introduction! It's worth reading, but not exactly a labrador encyclopaedia and not what I expected from Ben Fogle.

8. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

thought pretty much the same as everyone else but did like some of the photos. just a bit of light reading in the bath really, but :Dits got labradors in it. It made me get some of my old lab books out and read them again. I really like old photos of dogs you can see the changes in shape etc just nosy basically.

9. Bruer

Bruer Registered Users

I got it for Christmas too, read the first part and as Karen said very sad.. not been back to it since

10. SwampDonkey

for me at the moment reading sad things about labs is good practice

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

:(:(

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh well,that's me out then isnt it!:rolleyes:

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

That makes me sad,sending a hug x

14. SwampDonkey

I'm just getting into the mind set so that I can deal with it. I think you know what i mean and its good to know its not just me. I don't feel so sad just want to do the right thing at the right time. I feel as if I'm constanly hovering. When I see it in writing its easier. I want to be clear headed and make it good for Doug and not be so hung up in the emotion of the moment that he doesn't get what he needs form me.

15. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I haven't read it I'm still reading The Secret History of Kindness, Learning from how dogs learn. I'm on the final chapter. It's really hard going I just don't like her writing style. I've also got 4 other books to get through before I buy anything else.

Plus I've only just watched Marley and Me, so I'm really behind the times

16. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Another tearjerker in my household regardless of how many times I've watched it :rolleyes:

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Those of us who have been through it understand completely and are here as a shoulder should you need a good cry, or to give advice if you want. Just ask any time.

18. SwampDonkey

I never managed to watch marley and me just too much. Red dog which is a great film was bad enough.

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I thought Marley & Me was rubbish! It was hardly about the dog at all. It probably doesn't help that I can't stand Owen Wilson. Terrible film. Still cried at the end, though, obviously ;)

I've never seen Old Yeller....

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I didn't watch the film of Marley and Me because I thought the book was so terrible; badly written and mawkishly sentimental..