Labrador roaming

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Meerkatsandy, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Meerkatsandy

Meerkatsandy Registered Users

Good morning to all :)

My dog Tara, 9 1/2 years old, came in a package with my husband. We moved in together two years ago and I had a lot of dog-learning to do. She's my first dog and it took some time for both of us to learn how to survive together :)

I am a dog neewbie and I followed my husband's lead when it came to walks, recall, habits, treats... She's a wonderfully smart and nosy dog and I really enjoy spending time with her.

Unfortunately, she has been very strange these past two weeks. My husband doesn't seem too concerned; however, I don't like surprises and I like to keep things under control. Our house (my husband's house, she came here as a puppy) doesn't have a fence around it, it was always on a to-do list. She has done this in the past, but this week she roamed off 3 times!! She always goes to the same place, down the street, we find her half an hour later, she knows she did something wrong and flies to her spot.

She's usually the type of labrador that, during our walks, doesn't really play with other dogs and just sniffs the owner, should there be some treats ;)
    Lately, she's been running towards the dogs, fur raises all down the back, sniffs and goes away. And now the roaming...

Is it dog's middle-age crisis? Is thos behavior strange? Can i do something? Will she even listen to me if I try to "train" her?

2. Meerkatsandy

I think I posted this in a wrong subforum, maybe "labrador behavior" would be better?

3. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think perhaps no-one has replied because a lot of us are in the UK where it's very rare not to have a fenced garden if you have a dog. Dog rehoming charities here won't allow you to adopt a dog unless your garden is securely fenced.
    I would suggest that the best thing to keep your dog safe is to put up a fence - or if your garden is too big to do this then fence a smaller area. Or, don't let her out alone, but take her for walks and keep her in at other times.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I read your post, but didn't really know what to say. As Joy said, I live in the UK and while it would be possible to train a dog not to leave an unfenced garden, it isn't something most people would bother to train or indeed rely on that training when a fence would keep the dog much safer.

No, she doesn't know she did something 'wrong'. :( If she looks anxious, or runs away from you to her bed etc. it's only because she is frightened of your reaction, that's all. Dogs don't feel 'guilt' or even a sense of right or wrong as a human understands it.

This is nothing to do with the roaming. She is scared. She is anxious about approaching other dogs, and is acting in an aggressive way on first meeting. It's very good she doesn't follow through on that though. You need to work on her feeling comfortable around other dogs.

5. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I have noticed older animals developing some cognitive dementia will behave in ways they never did before and roaming is one problem. Other medical conditions might prompt some aggression, hypothyroidism for one. Changes in behaviour indicate a Vet visit. Senility started in my neighbour's Lab when the dog was only 10. There are supplements said to help with that, didn't help with this dog I know but as with most things, the earlier caught the better your chances of dealing with it. Keep a close watch on her. Owners are so close we sometimes don't notice subtle changes.

6. Meerkatsandy

But I don't what she's afraid of...we walk the same path every day, she's met all the dogs in the neighborhood. The change is bothering me :(

7. Meerkatsandy

Interesting, i'll have a look into dementia, never crossed my mind.

We had a vet visit today, she got her shot. I asked the vet and he said "she's bored or someone leaves food there and she's going to it". I have to come up with ways of keeping her busy ;)

8. Meerkatsandy

She has her "outside spot", like a cage, about 20m2 fenced with wooden floor... we leave her there during the summer, but it's -15C now and she'll freeze ;)
    I guess the fence is next :)

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Have a look at her vision and also check her hearing. She's at an age when things start to deteriorate. My 2nd oldest lab behaved very strangly when she became profoundly deaf. Once she adjusted and I learned to make allowances for her she was much happier less stressed and anxious

10. Meerkatsandy

my dog is getting old... :( i'll keep a close eye on her and follow the situation :)
    Thanks for your replies

11. DebzC

DebzC Registered Users

Are there roads where you live? My friend has a hedge around her garden rather than a fence and their young springerlab was killed by a car because of it. A promise of a fence was part of the puppy sale so the seller is, quite rightly, very angry. I know your dog is older but please build that fence.

12. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I've had a lot of old dogs mine own a some that just stayed for a while. Don't Loose heart old dogs are a joy and so rewarding. Its just a different way of doing things just as much fun and as challenges as young dogs too. I loved my dogs at all their different ages it is bittersweet poignant but wonderful.

Karen and Meerkatsandy like this.
  13. Meerkatsandy

I've already gotten used to her not being able to go for faster runs with me and our walks are getting shorter, she's a little lighter around the eyes and her snout...but it's hard to think of her "head" ageing :)

14. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I was thinking also that perhaps as she is outside on her own (if I understood correctly) that something bad may have happened to her to cause her change of behaviour. Perhaps another animal or a person came onto your property and scared her. The running off may have even been her trying to chase it/them away? Not sure where in the world you are, but for example some friends of mine live where there are bears roaming around and the neighbourhood dogs would go out of their minds when they knew a bear was near. Not saying that's what happened in your case, but maybe she was really spooked by something. That could definitely cause a drastic behaviour change.

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

What? Your dog is outside alone, in a 20m square cage, with nothing to do? How long for? Sounds absolutely miserable - summer or winter. Why not have her with you inside, and be with her when she is outside? That would solve the roaming problem.

16. Meerkatsandy

well, she hates cats and if she sees one she'll chase it for as long as she can and continue on with her roam...she has done that in the past, once or twice. Our neighbor has a cat, but this chase is rather short ;)

We live in a residential area in Ljubljana, Slovenia...there is a forest where we usually go for walks, but animals don't get to the house.

17. Meerkatsandy

Don't be that person...she has her fenced outside area, with a large roof with enough shade,where she spends time oitside during the warmer months...we have jobs and the dog can't be locked in the house all day. It's a huge yard and she has everything she needs. Better she's outside, fresh air, than locked in the garage for 4 hours. It's been like this since she was a puppy, the roaming is these past few days...

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

What? The person that says spend more time with your dog and for god's sake buy a fence or keep her inside? I'm happy to be that person. Look after your dog - don't let her be roaming the streets at risk of goodness knows what.

19. Meerkatsandy

I forgot to mention that she roamed off while I let her out to pee...in 99% case she came back in, this time she didn't. The dog isn't outside...
    I'm sorry if you think that I don't spend enough time with the dog, but you don't know me
    and I can't afford to be at home all day. she's a wonderful dog, so I'm guessing we're doing great.
    I don't tell you how to raise your kids or your dog, so don't preach here. I asked for advice, not a lecture

20. Chococheer

Chococheer Registered Users

There's different cultures at play here, Meerkatsandy. This forum is predominantly UK - and there's a few things I read and think Holy S*^t! You walk your dog without a leash?!?! Wow. It's just not something I've seen in Australia - and it's illegal to boot. We have fenced in areas in a number of parks in which dogs can be let off their leashes - but certainly not in open areas.

It blows my mind you don't have a proper garden fence, but that may be the norm where you are. In any case, the advice you're receiving is well-meaning and worth consideration. Isn't that the point of posting questions on an open forum? The opportunity to take in a variety of differing perspectives.