Labrador wins the gundog group at Crufts

Discussion in 'Labradors in the News' started by pippa@labforumHQ, Mar 10, 2013.

1. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

A yellow Labrador won the gundog group at Crufts last night. There is a short video of the highlights here

His name is Romeo and he is from Cesara in Italy. He and his owner Franco Barberi travelled for 16 hours on Saturday to get to the competition. I bet it all seems worthwhile now. :)

Pippa

2. David

David Registered Users

Re: Labrador wins the gundog group at Crufts

Wrong link?

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I saw this group, but I felt that Lab was a little on the chunky side, not that I would know just my opinion. Lovely to watch those beautiful dogs looking so fit and elegant. Helen x

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Little heavy for my taste too but then Riley is a 25kgs flyweights lab and I obviously think he's beautiful :)

I quite liked the Bracco Italiano and the Gordon Setter.

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hattie 25 kgs and Charlie 30 kgs too. I loved the Bracco Italiano too and the Pointers were beautiful, loved them all but thought the American Spaniel was a little too strange for me. :)

6. bbrown

Friends for life - blimey there wasn't a dry eye in our house!! Dogs are amazing ;D

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sorry was that another group? I must have missed that. x

8. bbrown

It's the heartrending/heartwarming stories section, it included assistance dogs, police dogs, a rescue from Afghanistan and a dog who helped it's owner cope with terrible grief.

All amazing stories and wonderful dogs :)

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I will try and watch it on iplayer, but I know for sure I will be in tears :'(

10. bbrown

Ahhh the lab came 2nd in show, he has a lovely face ;D

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I thought the lab was a bit too chunky as well. See how having a tiny (but very keen) 23kg working strain lab can make you see things differently? :)

12. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

The labrador was definitely too chubby for my taste but on the plus side he was one of the few dogs in that class to walk and run on a loose lead rather than being 'strung up' by the lead in a effort to keep the head up. He also looked bouncy and happy to be there. With just a bit less 'show condition' he would be even more handsome, IMO. :)

13. bbrown

Heidrun, I was thinking about that today as we did some heel training on our walk. I found it a little strange that the show dogs seemed to have so little training, always being pulled around and their heads being held up. Particularly when breed standards seem to mention head carriage you'd think that should be demonstrated without interference in order to be successful.

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I hate the way their heads are dragged up, it looks so unnatural.

15. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Having been to Crufts for the first time on Saturday and having watched the action from a ringside seat I noticed that most handlers showed their dogs in that strange fashion with the head pulled up very high. I suppose the ring itself is a huge distraction for the dogs because of the amount of other dogs that will have passed through, dribbled, peed, pooed :eek:, eaten a treat and will have left all sorts of scents on the floor. So even the best behaved dog would be tempted to put its nose down and ivestigate. Each handler has only a few seconds to make a good impression and catch the judges eye, so that's probably one of the reasons they pull up their dogs' heads in such fashion. Not my cup of tea, but i know a few show people who think the same thing about working dogs.... ;)