Lab's elbows

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Yvonne, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

My 2-1/2 year old Cooper (almost totally white) has elbows that look as though he has been rubbing them against concrete! Not red or pink or bloody at all, but the fur is almost off! Do your Lab's have this same problem? He does go to day care two days a week but really did not notice his elbows until this weekend.
    I started putting Sudocrem on it Sat and Sun. Should I be worried about his elbows or is this something pretty common? Thank you.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It does seem quite common - but I think it's undesirable (and a bit unsightly). I think two factors contribute: the dog being overweight (not saying that's what Cooper is, it's just a factor) and lying on hard surfaces. I think both are easily solved.

3. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Thanks Julie....day care has astro turf which is hard. Do you think Sudocrem will help?

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Can you send a mat to daycare for him?

I'm not sure the sudocrem would help...I used it for Charlie's shaving rash when he had his ops, it's just a mild emollient really. But I don't know, it might. I suppose they are just callouses.

You really need to look at the cause, and remove that. If he's lying on astro turf over a hard floor, I guess the thing would be to send a mat to daycare?

It depends if it bothers him, or bothers you. I personally hate the look of rubbed elbows on Labradors, and neither of my dogs are allowed to lie on hard floors. If they so much as flop down on the patio, a human gets them a mat. A cooling mat in summer.

5. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Will do the mat thing with day care......he also seems to prefer lying on the tile floor in family room over a mat....which is strange.....but I will definitely have him lie on the mat at home as much as possible. It doesn't seem to bother him but it does bother me.I dont like them. I never thought this could also be happening because he lies on tile at home! Good point and thanks! Thanks for responding. Have a great day....

6. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Finn once licked the spot I put sudocreme on. He was so nauseous and not long after he started to vomit his breakfast. I think it was from the sudocreme.....

Euan had those spots on his elbows too. I tried everything to get rid of them. Nothing worked. I hated them too. Euan liked to sleep on the hard floor. I tried every bed I could find until my OH told me to stop as we has a cupboard full of beds. Vet beds, bia-bed etc. the bia-bed was very large, but he still preferred the hard floor. Even with his terrible aching back he laid stretched out with his hind legs pointing backwards

I think if you are able to let him sleep on a mat is the best option, but I don't know if he wants that....

7. FayRose

FayRose Registered Users

It is very common from lying on hard surfaces. My old boy BJ had very 'calloused' elbows in his latter years, from lying on the patio under the copper beech outside my studio most of the summer. :rolleyes:

The only benefit for this could be explained by Jenny the cat - now aged 12. As a very tiny kitten she would scrabble up BJ when he was lying on his side in the sun. She would then lock onto his scabbie old elbow and suckle like you wouldn't believe. Beej, bless him would lift his dear old head and look at her, then at me and when I said, its OK old fella, she's just hoping you're her mum, he would, with a huge sigh, just flop down again and let her get on with it. He was an incredibly special old lad, despite his epilepsy.

8. MF

MF Registered Users

Snowie's elbows get itchy and he scratches them with his hind feet or nibbles them. They become pink and raw and am concerned they will become worse and unsightly. The pink parts are on the sides of his legs and the vet said they can be caused by lying on his side. But it's obvious it's from scratching cos when he's itchy they're worse and when he's not itchy they disappear.

9. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

He does sleep on carpet at night but,during the day when he naps,he usually lies on the tile floor....he has his own sofa in the family room but doesn't always go there to nap. I have put down a mat on the tile floor but he will NOT use it! I have no idea why....he will lie down next to it but not ON it! I truly do not like the spots on his elbows.....but he does let me put Sudocrem on them and does not lick them. After reading your reply it concerned me that Finn became so nauseous and vomited....so I keep a close eye on him. Thanks for your reply...

10. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I loved this story of Jenny suckling on his scabbie elbows!!! BJ certainly was a good chap!

FayRose likes this.
  11. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

There is no scratching going on with Cooper....they just look very unsightly but don't seem painful. But they seem to be more prominent now, for some reason. Have been using Sudocrem at night when he is sort of resting/napping before actual bedtime so I can keep an eye on him .... dont want him licking it off. He does lie on his side a lot when he is sleeping deeply.....if it is just a nap he is usually on his belly....will keep notes for myself as to how long he is on his side versus belly! He doesnt seem to mind the elbows.....but it bothers me.
    Will keep you posted if Sudocrem does the job!

12. MF

MF Registered Users

He might be hot hence why he prefers the tiles. You can get gel cooling mats which he might lie on instead.

13. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Update on Cooper's elbows: went out this morning and purchased a carpet to cover the tile floor in the family room so Mr. Cooper can sit or lie on it so his elbows get better!! Nothing like a spoiled pup!!! Actually, the carpet looks very nice on the floor, is beigey/white which will be perfect for Cooper's hairs!!! Will have to be careful not to trip on it (me)!! Hope he finds the carpet to his liking....it's 6 feet x 8 feet so fits well between sofa's and recliners!!!