liquid poo (don't read if you are eating!)

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JulieT, Dec 18, 2016.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Her symtoms have lasted longer than for Charlie, but have no way been as severe. She has stayed bright, happy and energetic and always wanted to eat.

She had a near solid poo now, so maybe that's the end of it - crossed fingers. The vomiting was at the end for Charlie too - the vet said it's typical with gastro bugs that it sort of travels upwards and makes them vomit after a while, not at the beginning.

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Poor girl.
    Hope she settles back in London x

3. Happyhayleysinging

Happyhayleysinging Registered Users

How is Betsy -Ive been reading your thread with interest as my poorly puppy (15 weeks) started with diarrohea on Tuesday, hadnt changed any food just running poo. Went to the vet on Thursday who put her on Promax to settle her stomach and panacur granules for worms and recommended chicken and rice. If anything she has gone worse. Her poo is a yellow liquid but she is still drinking and happy with herself. I am due back at the vets on Tuesday but now wondering if I shouldnt have put her on the chicken and rice. Any thoughts?

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I replied on your thread. :)

I wouldn't put a dog on chicken and rice unless they normally ate chicken and rice in their kibble (in which case I'm not entirely convinced that there is much point in changing from a chicken and rice based kibble to chicken and rice o_O ). Betsy doesn't have rice in her diet, so I wouldn't suddenly introduce it when she had an upset tummy. I've always found the chicken and rice idea a bit odd, tbh. But you need to go with your vet's advice, depending on what your dog normally eats.

5. SevandJack

SevandJack Registered Users

Oh no, the bug has crossed the northern sea! Jackie had liquid poo three times last night. After the first time, I put down a patch of newspaper, and he has done his very best to aim for it if we can't reach the front door in time. Called the vet, who said to wait and see for a few days. We use fishballs and rice cooked in beef broth? Weird how different the home remedies are.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

One extremely annoying thing about this bug episode is that it has damaged Betsy's toilet training. Whereas she started being extremely distressed to poo in the house, now not so much! :rolleyes:

So she'll be going back in a crate overnight for a bit now unfortunately. Hopefully not for long. It hasn't damaged Charlie's toilet training, no doubt because he was older and his toilet training was stronger.

SevandJack likes this.
  7. SevandJack

SevandJack Registered Users

Oh, Jackies toilet training was terrible when I got him at 16 mos, and while it has gotten better over the ~6-7 months I've had him, he wont hesitate to go indoors if he can't get out fast enough. He only looks upset when I start cleaning it up.

8. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Stanley settled back down but last night was up again through the night. This time it was like a jet wash. Poor lad.

He seems fine in himself so I'll just keep an eye on him. Our vets are only open for emergency appointments for an hour on a Sunday but I'm gunna ring them and have a chat about what to feed him.

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

We call it the brown tide in our house. It really is a nasty bug it hit Leicestershire and Staffordshire around October time. Made Moo very ill indeed and set Rorys colitis off again they got it in November.

10. JenBainbridge

Vet has recommended not giving him anything for a while then introducing scrambled egg and chicken and rice. If he's no better by tomorrow go and see them. Poor thing looks so upset - he's really missed his breakfast this morning. :(

The vet said when you give him chicken make sure it's plain, she just wanted to make sure because she's had someone recently who when they were advised to feed chicken they gave chicken tikka masala. Some people have no sense :confused:

11. Emily

Emily Registered Users

:eek::eek:

Hope Stanley is feeling better soon x

JenBainbridge likes this.
  12. JenBainbridge

He had nothing to eat until about 4pm when I gave him some scrambled egg. Then 6pm he got a little bit of chicken &a rice.

So far no explosions so here's hoping for a peaceful night.

Kelsey&Axel and drjs@5 like this.