Looking for a trainer in the Bristol area

Discussion in 'The Gundog Club and The Gundog Trust' started by Beckyt6, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any trainers they would recommend in the Bristol area?

Many thanks

2. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Becky, is it gundog trainers you are looking for or are you also looking at agility / obedience? I go to Celestine training who are based in Wickwar. We do agility every week and love it. They also do obedience KC bronze, silver and gold. We are doing a gundog session with a visiting gundog trainer in October.
    Where abouts in Bristol do you live?

3. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

Hi

We are interested in doing the gundog gradings with Alfie but obediance is really the overall goal.

We have just finished 5 weeks of basic puppy training but the class felt a bit chaotic and everything was a bit rushed so we arent keen on continuing with the current trainer.

We are based in East Bristol :).

4. editor

editor Administrator

Hi Becky

Geoff Shore is near Bristol. He is a Gundog Club Instructor and will help you with your gradings. His students seem happy with him. I think someone else on the forum has been to him http://www.thegundogclub.co.uk/?page_id=650

5. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

Thanks Pippa - I actually spoke to Geoff yesterday and have booked a 1 -2 -1 with him :).

editor likes this.
  6. Fwhitt246

Fwhitt246 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Geoff is really good, he was my grade one examiner with my old lab Murphy and I had some 121s afterwards with him and we made good progress (unfortunately Murphy died suddenly aged 2 which is why I no longer see him - if Muroh hadn't died we def would have worked through the grades with Geoff). He can seem a little 'old school' with some of his techniques which I wasn't always happy with, but once i told him how I felt he didn't use the slightly harsher methods - he wasn't harsh compared to a lot of more traditional trainers that Iv heard about but for me there was the odd thing that I wasn't keen on. As i said anything you aren't sure of just say and he doesn't do it again. He really does know his stuff and was very gentle with my 4 month old puppy I took along to one of Murphys sessions - he was really sweet with her. Have fun!

7. Beckyt6

Beckyt6 Registered Users

Thank you for the feedback!! So sorry about Murphy that must have been awful :(.

We have only trained Alfie using treats so far, and the only 'punishment' he has ever had has been us saying no and ignoring him when he bites. I will do as you suggest though and let him know if we arent keen on something he s doing.

We are hoping gundog training might help us with Alfie's impulse control as well be something fun for him to use his brain doing :).