Looking for Lab friendly Lets in Nottingham (Beeston) HELP!

Discussion in 'Dog Friendly Places & Recommendations' started by Hmmaclaurin@gmail, Jun 16, 2016.

?

Any pet friendly landlords in Beeston, Nottingham?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hmmaclaurin@gmail

Hmmaclaurin@gmail Registered Users

Hi all!

I'm Heather, I'm 24 and I am about to embark on a new adventure to Nottingham (from Birmingham). Hardly a major adventure but a new City for me nonetheless. Luckily my partner and I have found new jobs and are moving to Nottingham by the end of July.

We have a beautiful 6 month old black lab called Cooper. He is well behaved, trained and of course as everyone says the best dog ever :) I am in a fortunate situation at the moment whereby I live with my Mum so finding rented property has not been an issue.

I am desperately trying to find pet friendly Landlords in Nottingham, Beeston who will accept dogs. I have exhausted every single letting agent, online forum, letting website imaginable in Nottingham. Absolutely nothing has come up. We do still have a little time but I am concerned that if we don't find anything Cooper will have to be re homed and that is just not an option I want to consider!

Please please please does anyone have advice or better still know of any pet friendly landlords in Nottingham who I can be in touch with? I would very much welcome any information available.

Many many thanks in advance!
    Heather (and Florian and Cooper!)
    x

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum :)

What has been your strategy in applying for rental properties? Back when I was renting with a dog (and two dogs in one instance) I applied for places that did not say 'no dogs' (even if they didn't say 'dogs ok') and with my application put in a doggy CV outlining info about my dog and with my copies of my dog's pedigree certificate, vaccination certificate, and record of the obedience classes he'd passed. I don't know how rental places are arranged in the UK but here in Australia there is an open house at a set time and all the hopeful tenants turn up to check out the house and put in an application if they're interested. I'd go along to these with my dog's CV ready to attach to the application. I'd meet the real estate agent who was at the property (and who was responsible for recommending tenants to the landlord) and try to make a positive impression before asking about pets and showing my dog's CV. If the reaction was favourable and I liked the house I put in the application. References from previous landlords where you've had a dog are also valuable, stating that you took good care of the house etc. Don't know if any of that is helpful....

I certainly wish you all the best in finding a place that you can all call home.

3. Hmmaclaurin@gmail

Hmmaclaurin@gmail Registered Users

Hi Rachael!

Thank you so much for your advice! The problem I am having is getting anywhere near the landlord. I have spoken to all the letting agents in the area and they either say they have nothing available, which is fair enough. Or they say they will speak with the landlord directly themselves - which is helpful but I don't know if they have or will actually ask the question.

I have offered to speak with landlords, and have prepared a Pet CV, reference and all the necessary bits and bobs that help 'sell' Cooper to a landlord (haha).

My next plan of action is to start looking for private only landlords rather than through an agency as I probably have a better chance at speaking with them directly myself and negotiating terms etc. I am more than prepared to have extra terms in the contract or whatever is necessary.

I will keep posting and looking and hope to goodness something comes up!

Thanks again!
    Heather x

4. Oberon

Going for private rental is a really good idea. It's invaluable to be able to meet the person responsible for the decision-making. Then they can see that you don't have two heads!

Really hope it all works out well :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Best of luck with it. I don't have experience of renting a home with a dog, but I do have experience of trying to rent holiday cottages with a dog. It is indeed much easier if you can speak with the owner - I have never had a problem once I explain that the reason I want to stay is that I'm attending a dog training course (which is always the reason I want a holiday cottage and usually a particular one close to where I have to be everyday). I usually big up my dog's training, but have never come unstuck so far! :D

It's difficult these days, with everything advertised through big online platforms. I wonder if there is the equivalent of something like AirB&B for lettings. A platform that just lets you make contact with private individuals. Anyway, maybe worth a look.

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

My daughter struggled to find a pet friendly rental in Nottingham last summer and struck lucky viewing one property via an agent as the Landlord had a cat herself so agreed the change to the rental contract but many Landlords simply don't want pets in their property. You may have some luck through the local papers to find a private landlord who will accept an animal. Despite being an animal lover myself, and having both cats and a dog, I don't allow animals into my rental properties.

7. Cath

Cath Registered Users

8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Welcome to the forum Heather from Hattie 8 years and rescue boy Charlie 5 years. So sorry you are finding renting difficult with such a lovely boy. I haven't rented a house but have just rented a holiday house in Scotland that would only allow one dog, I rang the agent and we had to do a Dog CV for the owner :rolleyes: about Hattie & Charlie, thankfully they have allowed Charlie to join us so he better be on his very best behaviour which is pretty difficult for him at times :eek::D

Cath's website looks really useful so I hope you manage to find something, don't give up home there's always someone that will allow dogs, I would :) x

9. Oberon

Same here, Helen. If I had a property to rent out I'd only allow people to rent it if they also had a dog :)

drjs@5 and charlie like this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I feel a new business coming on! :) We could go international Rachael :D

Cath and Oberon like this.
  11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Heather. No real help I am afraid.
    Just wondering if Facebook might help. A long shot but it's the kind of question that pops up sometimes on groups. I am only in a couple now but might be worth a try. LUKOS Labrador UK owners society and LUKOS Labrador UK owners group. But there are many.
    I think I would go for the *anyone who doesn't positively say no to dogs* approach. And also look for places that have laminate flooring or at least minimal carpet as they may be more willing too.