Lost my best friend

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Brian bobo, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I'm so sorry for your loss. It was very brave to do what you did for him and you shouldn't feel guilty. Just missing him is hard enough without adding in the guilt. I can very much empathise with walking with Boab's leash. He's along with you on the walks in spirit and he's back in fine form again, running alongside and having a grand old time.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I am so deeply sorry you have lost your best friend but you did the last kind thing for him releasing him from pain. I hope in time your pain subsides and your heart will be filled with all the wonderful memories of your very special boy.

Sleep tight Bobo xxx

3. Debs

Debs Registered Users

So sorry, thinking of you. x

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I can see the photo in your avatar - he looks like a smashing, kind dog. The very best of Labradors. And they are very special indeed.

5. Brian bobo

Brian bobo Registered Users

Im still hurting bad. Memories continously but thankfully i can now speak about it. Was pretty embarrasibg been a 6 foot man and crying every time my dog was mentioned:).today a 3 yr old black lab which i dont know bolted from its owner across a road(no cars)and sprinted at me with that 'happy run' which i think only labs do and bounded right up to my chest. :) . It was first time ive enjoyed remembering my dog. His 'happy run'. Sometimes he was so keen to reach me id swear his back feet were going to overtake his front feet:)

MF, Cath, Lin and 2 others like this.
  6. Emily_BabbelHund

I hope you'll remember lots of good stuff like his happy run and share memories here. That pup today knew you needed a bit of Lab goofiness in your day. :)

SwampDonkey and Brian bobo like this.
  7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'd think more of a man for that - a man that loves a dog is a good thing. Also want to give you a big hug.

Agree that Lab today knew you were Labless and needed some Lab joy. :)

I hope the happy memories continue to push out the unhappiness. Best wishes to you.

8. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I'm so sorry, it's a very hard thing to do what's best for your loving companion all the while knowing it will break your own heart. Our Jet had back problems close to what you describe and my field trainer's dog got bad dementia at the fairly early age of 10. It's hard.

Your memories will hurt at first, you will probably cry some more. Funny thing though, in time those memories will make you smile and you will be glad to have them. Having those memories, in a way, keeps Bobo with you forever.

Brian bobo likes this.
  9. Brian bobo

I dont have many good pictures on my phone snowshoe but my dog looks very like yours. Slightly different face but same build and stance

10. Brian bobo

I appreciate everyones positve comments. Thank you. And i dont need people to comment anymore but thats boab gone a week now and i would give a large amount of money to have him back even if it was only until christmas. Hope the guilt goes one day as i know i was good to him. Better than most people to tgere dogs.i Just feel i maybe jumped the gun at last hurdle :(
    But thanks again for all the comments.

11. Emily_BabbelHund

It's not going to make you feel any better, but I think everyone who has been in the position of having a beloved dog who was suffering and made the hard decision you had to make feels the same. It's very obvious you loved him very much and would not have said goodbye when you did if you didn't know he was telling you it was time. It absolutely stinks that they leave us before we are ready. :(

MF, Pilatelover and Brian bobo like this.
  12. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

So very very sorry.

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm so sorry to read your post,what a wonderful life he had with you and he would have loved you very much.Don't feel guilty ,imagine him knowing how much you loved him,enough to be brave enough to not let him suffer,he will have been grateful I'm sure . In honour of Bobo and your advice I've just given my dog a big cuddle and had a little weep.....take good care and don't be hard on yourself xxx

Brian bobo and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  14. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

@Brian bobo .....this. What Emily said.

Brian bobo and Beanwood like this.