Louis' training log

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by andreasjuuls, Jan 13, 2015.

1. andreasjuuls

andreasjuuls Registered Users

2. andreasjuuls

Re: Louis' training log

Intro to Louis

Louis is a 9,5 weeks old chocolate male puppy. Some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We live alone in a 120 m2 apartment with another 140m2 terass so he has decent space, although a house would be better. Good thing is that there are a couple of decent parks outside the condomunium.

There are 6 buildings in the condominium and its gated so in theory it would be less parvo exposed but I am still quite concerned about it which of course has implications for especially socialization and potty training approach

Training plan

This is what I had in mind for the first weeks
    http://www.thelabradorforum.com/index.php?topic=9367.0

First 72 hours
    It has been amazing 72 hours. I would not say it has been easy or that things have gone according to plan but I had thought it would be much more troublesome. It is a bit tiring with the new experience and adapt to another one in the home. Louis is probably adapting better than me although we are having a fantastic time both of us.

Having him come to me on his own when I sit on the floor and seeing that he lays down with his head on my lab, playing with him, training with him, seeing him investigate, seeing him be happy is sooooo fantastic.

I know most people adore puppies and I do too but also looking forward to when he is older and we can start doing real stuff together like swimming, going to the park, run, go to the trails etc etc

What have gone well

-- sitting: he sits for food and toys on the command sit, but not sure that he does it because of my command or if he has figured out that this is what he is supposed to do. In any case, it feels right and he does it. Seems like it works in most locations and most positions I am in.

-- down: he lays down for food by hand signal but only if I put my hand palm down on the ground in front of him. That is the only way he will do it. If I stand up straight and shows palm down he looks at me for a few seconds and then looses attention. I give him the down command just as he starts going down, then click and treat when he has elbows on the floor. Also, if there are many distractions around him it doesnt work. I suppose it is a good start although the sit is going much better.

-- leave it: started practicing that with treats today and he responded well. Not learned that behaviour at all though but early stage is okay I think

-- socialization: big thing was airports and flight which he did very well. He has also been in the car which went well. He loves meeting people at starbucks, the pizza place, the condo garden etc. He struggles a bit with the elevator but we are taking it in very small steps. Today we spent a lot of time walking around the elevator entrance and going in and out the eleevator without actually using it. Seems like its helping although we are not there yet. This morning I took him to my workout room (bike and other stuff). First 10 seconds he did not like it but I just let him move around on his own and before I knew it he was laying under my bike -- I wanted to get a bike workout in so was on it as well. Did not pedal of course and eventually he moved and he let me do the workout. He started laying 1 meter from the bike but it made me nervous so I moved him to another room and with doors open he went to sleep and I was able to get 40 mins of training in.

-- good balance between autonomy and 'addiction' to me: He seems like a couragous and autonomous puppy, at least to some extent. He doesnt mind being in another room than me (I do :D) and when he sleeps he could care less where I am and what I am doing. It might make the recall, attention etc. a bit challenging but let us see how it develops when his attention span increases

-- recall: We are still at step one of Pipas guide but so far going well. Despite the autonomy if he sees me moving away, he comes after me.

-- night time: he hasnt cried for more than a few seconds at night. Also, he tried to jump up onto my bed last night but in both crying and wanting to get into the bed, I just ignore him and a few seconds later he settles in and sleeps. Usually we are in bed at 10 pm, then up for potty 0:30 and 3:30 am and up to start the day 5:30. I expect that in a few weeks we can be to bed at 10, up at 1:30 am for potty and then wake up 5-5:30 am

-- House training: This is actually a bit mixed. He never poops inside and rarely pees inside, it happens on the terass. However, locations are completely random. I thought about bringing him down in a closed garden of the condo but I am too concerned about parvo. I would rather clean up on any location on the terass next 3 weeks until last vaccine and then retrain outside.

-- biting me: he likes to playbite but pretty soft. A few times I have felt it (never left any markings what so ever though) and I have yelped and he stopped and became softer.

-- calm: he is pretty calm. Only when I initaite playing he will go balistic and if I calm down, he calms down too

-- not going crazy over food: he likes food but he can be pretty calm in front of it, especially as he is now learning that no sitting means no food.

Challenges

Would of course appreciate any help on the below challenges

-- Attention and focus: It seems like he is paying attention when he wants rather when I want. Even with premium treats he gets distracted and I struggle getting him to refocus. I jumped pretty quickly into the sit practice, maybe I should have started with 'look at me' or 'louis' to get his attention. Started on that this morning and it helps but is difficult and the memory of what look at me or louis means seemed to last 20 minutes. It is of course especially bad in high distraction rooms but even in low distraction environment we struggle with focusing. Maybe I am expecting too much of a 9,5 week old puppy?

-- biting and chewing stuff: this is my biggest concern as it seems to become worse and worse the more at home he feels. He bites almost everything for a few seconds. Seems like he is investigating. At least I have removed all dangerous items so he cannot hurt himself but would love for him not to bite everything. Since he does not react to his name or 'look at me' its impossible to distract him unless I show him a toy or food but that is not long term sustainable. Maybe I am doing something very wrong here?

-- House training: As per above it would be cool if he could do that in a specific location on the terass but have decided to focus my energy on other stuff as long as he is going outside the apartment to do it -- but not sure if I am doing myself a bad favour and setting the bar too low?

-- Separation: seems like when he is tired and when it is on his terms, separation is okay but this morning I placed him in a confined, puppy secure room and he did not like it at all. Opened the door only after he had stopped crying but it took a good 45 seconds. Usually in other situations he cries only 2-3 seconds. I think I went to fast so now we have started to play, eat and sleep in the room with doors open. Later tonight will try to leave him alone in there with doors closed and toys when he is really tired.

3. andreasjuuls

recap of first week

Has been amazing, Louis has completely changed my life for the better

The first week has brought many ups and some challenges

the ups

Many things are going well. Key things are
    -- potty training is happening 80 pct outside in designated spot although we have a few accidents now and then which mainly happens when I don't take him out when I should

-- sit and down coming along really well even outside training sessions. Here is a bit of training this am

http://youtu.be/SqRhSn6vD9o

-- he is improving focus and attention

-- socialization: flight from Argentina to chile, picking up girl friend in airport, big street, fitness center machines, bikes, kids, elevator etc he has taken very well. He also met 3 dogs without problems

-- bite inhibition: bites but pretty softly

-- recall pippa total recall excersice 2

-- getting used to and accepting colar and leash

-- sleeps through the night except 2 potty stops where I wake him up

-- likes food but doesn't go crazy. Start to understand what leave it means

-- he loves being touched and allows us to touch him everywhere

-- he is pretty calm by nature and calms down easily so just trying to maintain that eg sitting before he gets a toy

challenges this first week

-- mid week he didn't focus and respond to names but restricted his freedom (early and mid week I let him have full run of apartment and 120 m2 terazza. Leash helped a lot as well as hand feeding and say his name and click and treat with eye contact

-- separation: he has a puppy proofed room and when he is alone there he cries from everywhere between 2 and 10 minutes and then settles. Suppose just a matter of practice. He has water kongs toys. Wish I could crate him but don't have good crates in chile but will try to find one

-- biting and chewing no go items: got naturally a bit reduced with putting on the leash. Also redirecting to chew toys helps a bit but he loves to pick up sandals shoes and chew on legs of chairs etc when he get the chance. Probably just need to be patient

-- biting the leash: he accepts leash most of time but once in a while he will chew. I try to redirect but chewing on the leash seems like its soooo good

focus next week

-- continue current training: potty. Respond to name. Sit. Down, leave it, relaxed leash walking, recall step 2, get used to water, separation, calmness and politeness

-- start: take it, drop it (started a bit), roll, spin, recall step 2 w distractions, sit and down with intermittent rewards, leave it

4. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi Andreas,

You're doing really well. Do remember that Louis is still very young and so, with that in mind:

* Keep the training sessions short (puppies get bored quickly). Two sessions of 5 minutes is better than one session of 10 minutes.
    * Don't forget to have some fun too! ;)

5. andreasjuuls

A quick recap of the week and a look ahead on the week to come.

This week:

First and foremost, Louis so amazing -- brings lots of joy and happiness. He is the love of the house.

Amazing how he is growing. I got him when he was 9,5 weeks now he is 11,5 weeks and is no longer a small puppy but starting to look like a small dog. Love him :* :D

Trainingwise, things have been progressing well:

1. The sit, down, spin and roll-over are becoming solid even with distractions. He responds more to visual cue than oral cue but I am not going to make the fix of that a priority now. Other important things to work on

2. Recall, as in calling his name and making him move towards us and then giving the come cue when he is running towards us, is also going well in low-distraction environments and in distraction environments when he is hungry and know we have treats.

3. House training going well. He runs out to poo on his own and since he game to us 2 weeks ago he has not pooed inside. Peeing outside on designated spot 80% of the time, misses are when we forget to take him there and he is not yet signaling to go out. We will continue this training but as part of the daily routine, no extra focus.

4. Stay is going okayish, we can have him stay for 10-15 seconds with food infront of him and us at 3-4 meter distancde -- but he does not respond to release cue so that should be worked on going forward as well as increasing duration, distance and distractions.

5. Leash walking is another thing that we started training. He is pretty used to the leash but still have work to do on walking with loose leash and no biting. Probably natural for a 11 week pup so not stressing about it.

6. Separation and being alone: He spends about 3x1 hour alone in puppy proofed room. He cries less and less. Sometimes its 10 minutes, other times its 2-3 and sometimes not at all.

7. Paying attention and responding to his name. Was a problem the first week, not it is much better

8. Socialization. Does not seem to be afraid of anything except for maybe for 5 seconds and always curious to investigate

Focus for the next week in order of priority

1. Being calm when we want him to, not only when he wants to and is tired: He gets pretty excited when he is awake. Seems like he is either sleeping or full blast energy. We need to work on that for sure.

2. Not chewing no-go items: Louis - as probably any lab puppy - likes to chew every imaginable object. Shoes, sandals, door frames, bed linnens, socks, plants, outdoor couch you name it.

3. Take it and drop it. Thinking mostly about doing this with toys, but might come in handy with the not chewing on no-go items so will also be a focus.

4. Recall: As mentioned above, the basics are going well but given the importance of a solid recall, we will keep practicing this following Pippa´s recall guide.

5. Stay: Also a pretty important capability of a dog so will keep practicing this. As mentioned the stay part is going well, the release part not at all.

6. Leash training: Early leash training continued i.e teaching him to walk close to us first without leash, then with leash

Any help on how to train and achieve the beolow would be highly appreciated
    -- calmness on demand
    -- no chewing on no-go items
    -- take it, drop it
    -- releasing from stay position

Things to maintain as part of daily routine and life

1. Sit, down, roll, spin

2. Separation

3. Potty training

4. Socialization

6. maisiesmomma

maisiesmomma Registered Users

Sounds like you guys are doing fantastic!

I'm still working on reinforcing calmness with my girl, so I'll let others suggest ways to get there, but just wanted to say it's totally normal to have only two moods (energetic as heck and sleepy). I've noticed an increase in my girl's ability to have an in between mode as she gets a bit older - around 12-14 weeks she started laying down sometimes when not going to sleep, getting a chew toy and working on it calmly, etc.

I'll also let other people give you the training methods for drop it but just wanted to say that starting with toys and tug worked really well for my girl. She is an enthusiastic dropper of things because she knows she gets tasty food in exchange - she is hilarious when she eats dirt and I say drop it as she spits and spits to show me she's done it! I also always try to get the treat/trade item before taking away a high value "found" item she shouldn't have, and she's very easy to get stuff away from now.

One thing I would recommend is also teaching her "leave it" alongside "drop it" in preparation for outside walks... I taught this a week or so after, and those walks were FILLED with her putting tons of things in her mouth and then doing "drop it" etc. good for practicing drop it but I longed to be able to tell her to not put the nasty stuff in her mouth at all. I'll come back later when I have more time to describe a way to teach leave it.

Okay here is the leave it method my trainer showed me:

To begin, get yourself some kibble, training treats, etc. Have a seat near your puppy.

Place a treat in your open palm. Hold it at the level of your puppy. Now, be ready to be very quick and observant - as the pup comes closer to the treat, your hand closes around it (so he can't get it). Every time he moves away, open your palm. It will probably require you to be really fast at first - my trainer demonstrated and I thought she was opening and closing at random but my puppy figured it out before me!! The pup should start to understand further back leaves treat accessible, closer in means it goes away.

When you like the behaviour she is showing, and you can leave your hand open, give her a treat. It can be the one in your hand to start (but pick it up and give it to her NOT from your open palm) but eventually it should be a different treat - after all, leave it doesn't mean leave it and THEN eat it!

Once he is successful with that one several times, you can also incorporate the floor method of doing that. Put a treat on the floor, cover it with hand (kind of like a crab), uncover as he backs away, cover as e comes close. When he's showing behaviour you want (essentially self control somehow). Then pick up the treat on the floor and give him a treat.

After you've gotten this behaviour to a level you like, you can start pairing it with the cue "leave it". Practice again with the command. Hopefully you'll get to a point where you can leave it hand open or uncovered on the floor from the start! Make sure not to reprimand or do anything if he gets the treat somehow - not HHS fault, and it's okay.

After you've practiced this behaviour a lot, added distractions, etc, you can start using other objects you know he's interested in, like a shoe or a bottle cap. It's best to give the leave it cue before he gets it into his mouth! You can also start doing it outside with objects you know he is interested in - but before he gets too close/into it - give treat for veering away from it and not going up to it.

Hope that was clear.

7. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

I think the duration of his stay is fine right now for his age. I would focus more on making the distractions higher, rather than the duration. Duration will come with age. Pair it with the release cue, so he understands he is to stay until you release him...that he must wait for that. These things together will help him with those particular commands/cues...but also with his calmness.

Encouraging and randomly "catching" him being calm and rewarding for that might be a helpful focus for you at this stage. Moments when he is choosing to be quiet on his own....if he is chewing on something approved quietly, mark and reward. When he settles down for a snooze...mark and reward. he will soon associate these calm activities as something he gets rewarded for, and then you can build from there.

Any of the skills you teach him that have him immobile - sit, down, stay, on your bed, etc are all opportunities to reinforce the calm And remember, your body language tells him more than you think. If you are tense and tell him firmly to "calm down"...he's not going to get it. Be calm and relaxed, almost disinterested, and he'll mimic that. If you are happy, upbeat, lively, and fun....so will he be.

;D

8. andreasjuuls

[quote author=maisiesmomma link=topic=9490.msg139016#msg139016 date=1422026291]

Okay here is the leave it method my trainer showed me:

To begin, get yourself some kibble, training treats, etc. Have a seat near your puppy.

Place a treat in your open palm. Hold it at the level of your puppy. Now, be ready to be very quick and observant - as the pup comes closer to the treat, your hand closes around it (so he can't get it). Every time he moves away, open your palm. It will probably require you to be really fast at first - my trainer demonstrated and I thought she was opening and closing at random but my puppy figured it out before me!! The pup should start to understand further back leaves treat accessible, closer in means it goes away.

When you like the behaviour she is showing, and you can leave your hand open, give her a treat. It can be the one in your hand to start (but pick it up and give it to her NOT from your open palm) but eventually it should be a different treat - after all, leave it doesn't mean leave it and THEN eat it!

Once he is successful with that one several times, you can also incorporate the floor method of doing that. Put a treat on the floor, cover it with hand (kind of like a crab), uncover as he backs away, cover as e comes close. When he's showing behaviour you want (essentially self control somehow). Then pick up the treat on the floor and give him a treat.

After you've gotten this behaviour to a level you like, you can start pairing it with the cue "leave it". Practice again with the command. Hopefully you'll get to a point where you can leave it hand open or uncovered on the floor from the start! Make sure not to reprimand or do anything if he gets the treat somehow - not HHS fault, and it's okay.

After you've practiced this behaviour a lot, added distractions, etc, you can start using other objects you know he's interested in, like a shoe or a bottle cap. It's best to give the leave it cue before he gets it into his mouth! You can also start doing it outside with objects you know he is interested in - but before he gets too close/into it - give treat for veering away from it and not going up to it.

Hope that was clear.
    [/quote]

Awesome, started this with treats and will eventually do it with other objects of interest (plenty to choose from jejejeje sandals shoes socks bras flowers plants spoons gym bag swim fins)

9. andreasjuuls

[quote author=sunsetpines link=topic=9490.msg139051#msg139051 date=1422039831]
    I think the duration of his stay is fine right now for his age. I would focus more on making the distractions higher, rather than the duration. Duration will come with age. Pair it with the release cue, so he understands he is to stay until you release him...that he must wait for that. These things together will help him with those particular commands/cues...but also with his calmness.

Encouraging and randomly "catching" him being calm and rewarding for that might be a helpful focus for you at this stage. Moments when he is choosing to be quiet on his own....if he is chewing on something approved quietly, mark and reward. When he settles down for a snooze...mark and reward. he will soon associate these calm activities as something he gets rewarded for, and then you can build from there.

Any of the skills you teach him that have him immobile - sit, down, stay, on your bed, etc are all opportunities to reinforce the calm And remember, your body language tells him more than you think. If you are tense and tell him firmly to "calm down"...he's not going to get it. Be calm and relaxed, almost disinterested, and he'll mimic that. If you are happy, upbeat, lively, and fun....so will he be.

;D
    [/quote]

Thanks a lot for this advice. I think I need to reward "accidental" good behaviour a lot more and also, try to be calmer myself. I LOOOOVE DOGS and I triple LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Louis so naturally the last 2 weeks have been exciting for me and my girl friend so that probably spills over to him :) We will have try to practice being calm with him at times.

10. andreasjuuls

Wanted to share an update on how Louis´ training is going and some key learnings that hopefully other could benefit from

Who is Louis

- Choclate lab born on November 7 so approaching 3 months

- He will have his last vaccine next Monday so the real exploration of the world can start

- We have had him for 2,5 weeks

Governing thoughts

- He is absolutely wonderful, he brings so many smiles to our faces -- even when he does something we would prefer not to it still feels nic

- He has started to sleep in the bed - we gave in....

- Positive training feels so right although it requires a lot of patience and it is the first time I am really training a dog and it is not as easy at it seems on youtube videos, this pagee etc

- Overall he is doing very well I think. Doing what I could dream about at this stage (although easy to expect too much)

What Louis has learned/is learning well

- Potty training is 90% there although the designated area is on a huge outside terazza and not in the parks/roads/nature so once he is

- Sit, down, roll is also 90% there even with current level of distractions (still missing last shot)

- Other early basics like "first steps" recall, light leash walking, off cue, bite inhibition, separation, retrieve, socialization, and calmness are also going pretty well and improving every day

- Starting to practice stay and release as well as drop it and take it

- He is chewing less and less items

What is coming up:

- Continoue to proof and build on what is going well, especially as we start to go outside to the real world. This will be the majority of the focus.

- New things to practice over the next months: Heel walking with and without leash, socialization to the full outside world and other dogs

- Change his attitude towards food: He is starting to get picky with his food, only wanted to train with great treats and also starting to not want to eat his kibble expecting enough training treats

4 keeps for the first 2,5 weeks next time I have a pup:

- Start on day 2 I get him home with the training

- Keep the training fun or/and rewarding: Play frequently during and after training, give extra treats when he does really well, cuddle and laugh

- The positive approach to training. I feel my relationship with Louis is full of mutual love and respect, no fear at all.

- Leverage expertise on youtube, this forum, dog trainer etc. While the approach appears simple, getting it right in all details requires a lot of knowledge and practice. I guess its more art than science

3 changes if I could do the first 2,5 weeks over:

- Some times I rush it too much either in terms of expecting too much or skipping steps in the approach (e.g. start adding oral cue very early)

- Along the same lines, doing too long training sessions so he looses focus or fun

- Also along the same lines, not building the basics of fully loading the clicker and basic attention (look at me or his name)

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sounds like you are both doing really well :D
    Harley is my first dog/pup and is 17 months now. I like the positive training but still struggle on occasions....we are only human ;)

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think it's lovely that you so clearly see the benefit of positive training. :)

13. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

sounds like things are going well for you and Louis. Recording progress and setting goals is a great strategy - just know that you will experience some set backs throughout your journey....especially with the biting thing! :eek: Especially when teething starts in earnest!

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=sunsetpines link=topic=9490.msg140275#msg140275 date=1422479513]
    sounds like things are going well for you and Louis. Recording progress and setting goals is a great strategy - just know that you will experience some set backs throughout your journey....especially with the biting thing! :eek: Especially when teething starts in earnest!
    [/quote]

Lots of people said this, but my two haven't increased their biting (of us) at all during their teething. They like to chew on their toys more, and chunks of ice etc, but not us. Thankfully!

But it is a good point to expect that some days will be frustrating and seem like you're going backwards. On those days, just give up trying to learn new things and go back to something really basic, so you both come out of it feeling positive.

It does sound like you're doing fabulously, though. The proofing is where so much of the time and energy goes. Sometimes I feel with my log that I'm saying "just did more of the same", but it is so true that you can't automatically expect a dog to be able to do something he "knows" in a new situation. Sometimes, it's really easy and they do generalise a behaviour pretty well for a new situation. Other times, you have to go right back to the beginning again. Keep on trucking :)

15. andreasjuuls

Louis is 3 month today and I'm reflecting on where he is in his training

He is amazing, I love him, we have so many great moments and very few frustrations. I like the positive approach to trainimg although it puts my patience to test sometimes ;)

I am investing quite a lot of time in training and making it easy for him to behave well (eg walk and play before time alone)

On key behaviors this is where we stand (he had his 3rd shot end January so we are outside a lot)

Summary:

-- to proof: sit, down, stay, separation
    -- to continue building and dedicated train: recall, heel, biting, fetch
    -- to start or ramp up: leash, stay (postponed), chewing, water/swimming
    -- to stop: roll

Details:

-- sit and down: responds to visual sign 95 pct of the time even when distracted moderately. Doesn't respond when heavily distracted and is learning the oral cue which he responds to when there is zero distraction. Next is proofing proofing and proofing

-- roll: responds when lurred all the waywith and without treats. Will not focus much on roll going forward, don't find it useful vs all the other behaviors to proof and learn

-- fetch: happily most of the time fetches tennis ball amd co,es back amd drop/exchange for treat

-- socialization: accepts and enjoys basically everything so far(kids old ppl young ppl ppl in uniforms hats glasses cars trucks etc) Was heavily socialized to dogs these last days and while the start was with a bit of anxiousness he is now in full play mode wih several dogs at the same time. Doesn't like small dogs but neither do I :D. Will start water socialization today and continue socialization

-- biting: loves to play bite. Most of the the time soft but sometimes out of hand. Need to start eliminating anything but mouthing and later reduce mouthing

-- chewing: probably biggest and only real frustration. He is starting to respond to leave I with treats and I try to divert his attention to toys but its a veeeeery slow process

-- heel walking: started to practice this and we can have 30-60 second periods where he walks to my heel when generously rewarded w click and treat so not sure of how much is behavior amd how much is bribery but will start to fade rewards

-- leash: this is another thing that is not really working sometimes he walks at loose leach but its random and by coincidence

-- recall: we are at step 3 in pippas book and successful even under smaller distractions Started to fade treats and my run so in a few days we move to step 4

-- separation: he is mostly quiet when alone for 30-120 minutes, but I have to carry him to his room and he tries to get out before I close door. Why he is a 40 kg dog he will be difficult to force to the room amd don't want to use force. I plan to get a crate in 2 weeks and then slowly make him happy w the crate

--stay: tried to practice this but it's very hard so will probably put on hold to later

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

You are doing a really good job :) for a 3 month old pup he is doing fantastic :)

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=andreasjuuls link=topic=9490.msg142254#msg142254 date=1423310276]

-- heel walking: started to practice this and we can have 30-60 second periods where he walks to my heel when generously rewarded w click and treat so not sure of how much is behavior amd how much is bribery but will start to fade rewards

[/quote]

It is not bribing so long as your treats are out of sight and you are using your clicker properly. Do not be in a hurry to fade the rewards, there is no merit in this.

In challenging situations I can still "machine gun" click and treats for my dog walking at heel. Much better to have a really high rate of reinforcement than have your dog fail...

18. andreasjuuls

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=9490.msg142375#msg142375 date=1423345454]
    [quote author=andreasjuuls link=topic=9490.msg142254#msg142254 date=1423310276]

[/quote]

It is not bribing so long as your treats are out of sight and you are using your clicker properly. Do not be in a hurry to fade the rewards, there is no merit in this.

In challenging situations I can still "machine gun" click and treats for my dog walking at heel. Much better to have a really high rate of reinforcement than have your dog fail...
    [/quote]

He cant see them but im sure he knows they are there. He has the "what do you have for me" happy camper look on his phase :*

19. andreasjuuls

Louis was 4 months old yesterday and thought it is time to provide an update.

The last 2 months with Louis has been amazing. I love the little guy and so does friends and family.

Louis is doing great overall and has developed a clear spike in sleeping in the bed and he is leveraging this skill to also jump on the sofa now. The original plan was no bed and sofa for him but that plan went down the drain for the bed a month ago and now the sofa is also becoming part of Louis kingdom ::)

On the below list, not much has been added and not much have changed category, the last weeks have mainly been about improving and making more solid what he has learned.

What Louis is doing very well (reliable behaviours) but needs final touch of proofing:
    -- housetraining (no accidents inside unless when I dont take him out when I know he has to or if there is a change in routine)
    -- no seperation anxiety which is great but he does not enjoy or like the puppy proofed room hed stays in so now moving from puppy proofed room to a crate. That transition is going well
    -- sit, stay, stand even with a good level of distractions
    -- leash walking. Rarely pulls and when he does, I stop one time and then he remembers he is not supposed to pull
    -- very socialized with kids, dogs, humans, machines etc

What we are seeing good progress on and he is doing well -- but still would not call it reliable behaviours:
    -- recall. He responds 100% of the time outside when low to moderate distractions and has even responded around other dogs when he is not in full play. Needs to continue to proof this though so it always works
    -- off/leave it: Pretty much like recall. Very solid response except for when he finds something really exciting.
    -- Sit/down - stay: Stays for up to 20 seconds when not distracted but does not respond to release cue
    -- Fetch: He loves running after toys and tennis balls but often just picks it up and then runs around with it without coming back to drop it. For now, this is not a priority though
    -- Heel: Can walk for some 50 meters at my heel but until something more interesting comes up, then he is gone :eek:

What I would like to work on soon:
    -- Making all of the above fully solid. I guess all the above is basic obedience so if I can get that solid over the next months, I am happy. How long would you expect it to take to get all the above solid assuming I train as much as Louis can take each day?
    -- Ideas for other things to learn, highly appreciated

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm so very pleased Louis has trained you to allow him on both the sofa and the bed - a true Labrador. He's doing so well, some dogs don't manage this until they are older than he is. :) :)

[quote author=andreasjuuls link=topic=9490.msg148071#msg148071 date=1425812797]
    -- Making all of the above fully solid. I guess all the above is basic obedience so if I can get that solid over the next months, I am happy. How long would you expect it to take to get all the above solid assuming I train as much as Louis can take each day?
    [/quote]

Well, what you have right now is a 4 month old puppy. He is going to grow up, and change. He'll become a teenager for a start, and then the best you can hope for is that you maintain his training through these months, but most people find that a lot of it seems to disappear for a while. Once you have an adult dog, you can really begin to make sure your training is solid. So for that reason, I'd say no behaviour is really solid until it's established in an adult dog, not a puppy.

Then, you have to think about proofing - in how many circumstances, under what pressure, is the behaviour realiable? How far you take this, depends on your ambitions. If just in a normal range of pet circumstances, that's one thing. If you want it also to be reliable in competitions, or outside in a field with other dogs hunting wildlife, that's another.

I think the short answer is, you never stop training the dog and maintaining the behaviours you have.