Lyme Disease!

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Orlando, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Orlando

Orlando Registered Users

I just got the test results back today. My 2yr old yellow lab, Cody, has Lyme's disease. He also tested positive on the dip stick protein test of his urine, still waiting on the lab result for the actual result on that.

I can not believe this. I am so freaked out, this dog is my son! I can only hope for the best, I'll know more on Friday when I get the urine lab results back.

Saved2Serve likes this.
  2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Try not to worry.
    Good to know so he can get the right treatment.
    Had he been unwell or have I missed a post elsewhere?
    jac

3. Orlando

Orlando Registered Users

No he's been well, I had pulled a tick off of him a few weeks back and mentioned it at a Vet visit for ear meds. So we did the test just to be sure. I'd rather be safe then sorry.

Saved2Serve likes this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Good call then!
    I'm sure he will be fine.
    Make sure you are protected well too and check regularly for ticks after walks on you too - easily missed.
    Are you in an endemic area or was this bad luck?

5. MF

MF Registered Users

So sorry to hear. We all fear tick-borne diseases. Let us know how you get on. Wishing Cody all the best. Sounds like you've caught it early and can quickly get onto a treatment plan with your vet.

Saved2Serve likes this.
  6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

7. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Poor you and Cody. :(

Hopefully it can be treated and he can get the all clear soon.

8. Orlando

Orlando Registered Users

Thank you all.

I live in the US, Long Island NY. Pretty much ground zero for Lyme Ticks in this area: http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/

Cody is on 28 days of antibiotics, but I am more worried about trace protein found in his urine. That could be a whole lot worse for him, we get the test results on Friday. On the lighter side, he doesn't know a thing is wrong and is happy as can be and is getting his meds. I guess that's all the matters at this point, he's happy and getting better. Hopefully the protein test will be neg and we put this behind us.

Saved2Serve likes this.
  9. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Hi, I live on Cape Cod, Massachusetts (USA) and we have all kinds of ticks here and this past Summer/Fall was awful for ticks. So you living in NY probably have the situation we have here. I picked two ticks off Cooper's belly early Fall but he seems fine. I do have him on a Seresto collar that lasts 8 months (flea/tick) and, luckily, he is white as Cody is so easier to spot the darn ticks.....cant imagine how difficult it must be on chockie's and black's.
    Good luck with the protein test.....the antibiotics will take care of Lyme disease. Glad Cody doesn't seem to know he has Lyme!!! They are wonderful doggies, aren't they?!!!!

Saved2Serve likes this.
  10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

How awful. Keeping my fingers crossed the protein is nothing to worry about :( xx

11. Orlando

Orlando Registered Users

Thanks guys.

Yvonne - that is exactly what happened to Cody. Two ticks a few weeks ago, he got Lymes even though he was on prevention. The worst part is there were no signs at all. He is still happy as ever and full of energy, he does tire quickly though.

And yes, I couldn't imagine having any other breed other than a lab. They are extremely unique.

Saved2Serve likes this.
  12. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I just wanted to say as well that I absolutely love Cody's picture in your avatar. What a wonderful smile he has - he makes you happy just looking at it. Thinking good thoughts for you!

13. MF

MF Registered Users

So pleased he's on the antibiotics already and hopefully this will all be behind you very soon. Let us know what the test results show. Thinking only good thoughts for you guys.

Regarding ticks, the advice is "freeze, don't squeeze". So, if you find a tick, don't disturb it in a way that it will inject its saliva (with bacteria) into your dog. Rather freeze it off. Easier said than done. This article is rather useful, although it does say that the freezing method is not backed up by specific scientific research but rather by clinical experience. http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2016-11-02/the-tick-debate:-how-should-you-pull-them-out/7541358

I found a tick on Snowie the other night. We had been away on holiday where he had picked it up and I was worried about biliary. It was late at night and I don't have any ether or other substances for freezing off ticks (note to self: get some!). So I used a freezer pack from the freezer and surgical spirits and the tick eventually came off. It also seemed dead when I was holding it. I don't use any anti-tick/flea stuff on Snowie as he is prone to seizures, so I don't know if it died from the surgical spirits or it was frozen stiff. I just use a spray repellent on his fur if we are in a tick area (I hadn't used any that weekend away, wasn't expecting ticks there). Thankfully the incubation time is over so we know Snowie doesn't have biliary, he has had no symptoms, and of course I am unnecessarily worried because there is apparently no biliary in that area. But we are going to a biliary area later this month so I will need to be very cautious.

Saved2Serve likes this.
  14. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

MF, Cody had no symptoms......what are the symptoms? Also, re freezing the ticks off....where does one get ether? I live in the US....never heard of being able to buy ether but would certainly have it on hand if I can. Cooper and I live in an area that has high tick population so it would certainly be a good thing to have. Again, though, what are the symptoms in a dog that has been bitten by a tick? I know how humans feel when bitten...have several friends that have gone through that but no dogs. Thanks in advance!

Saved2Serve likes this.
  15. MF

MF Registered Users

Thankfully Snowie has never had biliary so I don't know the symptoms first-hand. But the vet said to look out for lack of appetite and general lack of energy. I've never had biliary, but those who have have told me it is like having the worst flu imaginable. Snowie's best Lab friend had biliary. His owner recognized the symptoms immediately: he didn't want to get off his bed in the morning or eat his breakfast. She took him to the vet who looked at his blood under a microscope, saw the organisms, and treated immediately. He was fine within two days. (They had been in a biliary area and she'd found two ticks on him.)

Not all ticks carry bacteria so not all tick bites will cause disease. Hence, we have ticks in our area after the spring rains, but they are not carrying biliary so there's no concern with them. I've found ticks on me after being out for walks. I've never got sick from them. In Australia I believe there's a growing worry of anaphylaxis from tick bite, but fortunately we don't have the same problem here in South Africa.

As for Lymes, I don't know the symptoms first-hand either. Thankfully we don't have Lymes Disease in our area.

And as for ether, I have no idea. Will pop into the pharmacy and ask about it or something containing ether to freeze off ticks for when we go on holiday later this month to a biliary area. We were there earlier this year and Snowie came home with tons of ticks around his neck (the only place we'd not put the repellent cos it had such a strong smell and I was reluctant to put it near his nose; no ticks attached to his body and legs where we had sprayed the repellent). We gave him a Bravecto, which made the ticks die and fall off. But then Snowie had two grand mal seizures, which we assumed were caused by the Bravecto (the Bravecto spot-on warns not to give to animals prone to seizure, although the tablet doesn't), so we won't be using that again. Luckily he didn't get biliary even though the ticks had been on him for about a week before he got the Bravecto (I only noticed them when they got fat with blood and felt them when I was scratching him). So we will be covering his entire head and body with repellent this time and inspecting his neck area carefully -- the fur there is very, very thick.

Saved2Serve likes this.
  16. Orlando

Orlando Registered Users

Saved2Serve likes this.
  17. Orlando

Orlando Registered Users

Emily_BabbelHund - Thank you, Cody is always so happy when were together, when I am at work I see him sleeping with our cat friend Mango. He just loves what ever we do, except when I go to work, I can see his disappointment.

Yvonne - Here is what they say about Lyme signs. Although, Cody did not exhibit any, except maybe lameness. He was play hard with his girlfriend last week and started limping, but that was gone in a few hours. So I don't know if that was attributed to Lymes. http://www.petmd.com/dog/slideshows/five-signs-lyme-disease-dogs

18. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Thanks,Orlando. Symptoms should be pretty noticeable.....I know for sure that Cooper has NOT lost his appetite, is NOT inactive......so he should be OK. I like the what MF says about freezing them off because I pulled one off.....actually, didn't know it was a tick....I was giving him a belly rub and felt this "thing" and pulled it off thinking it was something stuck in his fur but then noticed I had blood on my fingers!! Freezing them off kills them right then and there.
    Much better. Thanks for both your responses MF and Orlando!

MF likes this.
  19. Orlando

Orlando Registered Users

Yvonne - Just to be clear. Cody didn't have any signs either, since hes a lab and they are always hungry, how do tell diminished appetite? Cody is on raw food and always gobbles his food up in minutes if not seconds. The leg thing I mentioned was more then likely heavy play as it went away right away. I took Cody in for ear meds and decided to test him for Lyme's, being fully convinced he didn't have it! I only mention this because I was 100% positive that he did not have lymes.

Saved2Serve likes this.
  20. Lin

Lin Registered Users

I always use nail polish remover on cotton wool to smother the little devils, then use a tick pick to remove the dead body.