Meet my boy - Hachi

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sudhanshu, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Sudhanshu

Sudhanshu Registered Users

It may be lol. Actually he has mouthed me so much that I am getting more smell perhaps. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow - then will ask him - when can Hachi have his first bath.

2. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Hachi looks just like Cooper looked when I brought him home!!! Tiny weeny!....but he will grow fast! He seems to be settling in nicely. As to bath, yes,ask your vet.
    Good that he loves his crate.....you will need him to love it in the future when you have to leave him in it when you leave the house. He will take a few days to be totally trusting you but you have a great headway since he goes to you for comfort. He is a little baby....he needs a lot of sleep. Enjoy his "littleness"....they grow up quickly.....mine is now almost three years old and 96 pounds......

Sudhanshu and Jyssica like this.
  3. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

You need to take him out every 20minutes at this age to see if he needs to go. If he doesn't, back in for 5 or 10 minutes then back out. :) It gets a bit tedious, especially in the cold but it's the easiest way to do it.

4. Sudhanshu

I will try my best But he just sleeps and I wait for him to get up. Early morning - I took him outside for 5 mins - he didn't pee but as soon as we were back - he peed in 5 mins. I am trying to derive a pattern. But will try to take him out more often from now on

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

If you take him out and no pee, bring him in and pop him in his crate for 5 or 10 mins before taking him back out. Either that or watch him like a hawk!!
    Clean up any inside wees with neutralising cleaner like "Simple solution".
    And if he wees outside reward him big style with a stream of small treats.
    jac

Sudhanshu likes this.
  6. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Also, always always always give him a treat as soon as he pees outside (or poos). Make a big deal of it, he is SUCH a good boy, big treats!!!
    If he goes inside, don't make a fuss, be very calm (i.e. don't "reward" it with exciting behaviour, but don't "punish" it because you don't want him to try to hide it). Just clean it up (and use a cleaner that is right for the job, most normal cleaners contain ammonia that smells like pee to a dog.)
    He is a Labrador and therefore very food-driven! So he will learn very fast with this method.
    You will still have accidents because his bladder control will be very weak until he gets older - but he will get better and better and in a few weeks you will have cracked it.

Edited: ha, just seen Jac's post, she beat me to it!

Sudhanshu and drjs@5 like this.
  7. Sudhanshu

Yes I succeeded twice now. I was just praising him - but next time will give him a treat as well. He came back - ran around just a little bit and went back to his den on his own. I was worried about crate training but seems like he is in love with his crate.

[​IMG]

8. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

He is precious !

Sudhanshu likes this.
  9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Or carry and cuddle for a while - such a chore, I know ;)

10. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my 10 month old boy Bailey - a fox red lab - Hachi is adorable and sounds like he is settling in well. Food is a great way to help them to get the idea of what you are asking them to do - I have to keep reminding my OH that Bailey does not speak english and those lectures he keeps giving actually do not help! :facepalm:

Sudhanshu likes this.
  11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have never had that pleasure 'someone smoking weed', so no idea what it smells like:D

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Live in a ski resort. You smell it all the time on the hill. It's sweet and strong.

Rosie and Stacia like this.
  13. Sudhanshu

I have seen a totally different side of him in the last 1 hour. He has become so confident and he is playing with us a lot. A friend of mine came home and taught me how to play with him. He asked me to stoop down to his level more - and just play the way he is doing. It worked wonders - because Hachi is so happy now. Just now he got tired - and instead of going to his crate - he lied down on my feet and slept. I guess he is trusting us more now - because earlier - he trusted his crate more :)

14. Sudhanshu

Hachi's first vet visit went well today. The vet was happy with the breeder and the documents the breeder had provided (medical certificate that both parents had no evidence of elbow dysplasia) and the guarantee that the pup is free from any life threatening disease - and an extended guarantee for the next - 1 year that puppy is free from genetic defects or illness.

He did great at the vet's office. He weighed 11.8 lbs and as usual was very playful. The vet took him inside to show him to all the employees of the hospital. We got all our questions answered answered from the vet :) here's a photo of Hachi at the vet's - waiting for his turn to go inside...

[​IMG]

15. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Well done, Hachi! Good to have a successful first visit to the vet. :)

Sudhanshu likes this.
  16. b&blabs

b&blabs Registered Users

Welcome to Hachi! He is so cute.

I bet you will see more and more activity as he gets comfortable and settles in.

What did the vet say about the bath? I am sure in a day or two it will be fine. My 7yo labradoodle was bathed and blow-dried by the breeder when we picked him up to take him home. Apparently it was so traumatic he has been terrified of blow dryers and anything that blows air - even bubbles! - since. So, you know, waiting isn't the worst thing. :) Better than associating it with something negative.

Sudhanshu likes this.
  17. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Well done Hachi - a good first visit so hopefully he will associate good things with the vet and you will not have any problems getting him in there in future! Bailey is always made a big fuss of by all the nurses and vets whenever we go that he adores going there. My old dog used to walk in OK but when the vets door opened she would flatten herself to the floor and we had to drag and push her in...rather embarrassing to say the least! Suzie was a rescue girl that we got at 2 years old and even when she passed some 12 years later she still hated the vets!

Sudhanshu likes this.
  18. ReneeS.

ReneeS. Registered Users

Hachi is gorgeous! Congratulations.

Sudhanshu likes this.
  19. Sudhanshu

Hi - for the batch - the vet asked to hold on for few weeks. She said he was okay for now and we can wait a month before introducing him to it

20. Sudhanshu

Guys - I need one help. I am seeing Hachi has turned a little bitey today. I tried 'ouch' and a time out and it didn't help. Whenever I go to play with him, he tries to play by biting my hand or fingers. I tried saying a firm Stop - but it doesn't always work. Sincd it wasn't getting a bit too much, I just created him and he is whining really bad. I don't want to do this...I don't know whether what I just did is okay or not. But other methods were just not working. One and a half days before - he wasn't biting much - and a simple Ouch would work.