Mocha and I "grow" along our loose lead way.

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Dawn_Treader, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Dawn_Treader

Dawn_Treader Registered Users

My father was a breeder, and his dogs were strictly gun dogs, but they were my pets when my dad wasn't around. I am also a qualified sheep and goat shepherd and I know my way around working dogs. My experience was limited to having a dog, in the house, in my bed and at my side most of the time. I wanted a dog to share my life with and to love and spoil. I wanted to do everything right. She was and is my world and I would do anything for her. I went to puppy school and landed an inexperienced trainer who had a very strange Rhodesian Ridge-back. I should have legged it then and there. I tried the treats, but they didn't work. Unfortunately the puppy coach didn't think to tell me to up my ante. I worked with kibble only. She told me to train my recall whistle 10'000 times, but to never ever use it, unless it is a matter of life and death. After reading Pippa's book, I see how stupid this was, along with a load of other corn she taught me. I made mistake after mistake and it snow balled when I turned to a police dog trainer, thinking that Mocha needed a firm had. He was very tough and old school like my father was to his gun dogs. This trainer caused a lot of harm, and my dog became distrustful of me. I always knew in my heart that what he was teaching me was wrong. One training she was in season. He brought his Belgian malinois with, which was really subjecting the poor boy to torture. He told me that his dog would not mount my bitch because he was the pack leader and the pack leader had first pick. I lost it when he dragged her up an escalator, and that was the last time I agreed to see him. He made Cesar Milan look like Mary Poppins.
    I will always regret that I put my trust in these people, and didn't listen to my heart, and search further for a good trainer. The fault is mine alone and I hope that my girl will not hold it against. me.

The beauty about my dog and one of her many special gifts is that she has bounced back from her stupid mother's training mistakes. She now follows me around and snuggles with me and is much more happy.
    Regarding training: my two biggest concerns were pulling on lead and dysfunctional recalls.
    This is all sorted out now thanks to the many good books I have read, and to you people, and especially Pippa. I also now follow my heart when I make decisions. Her recall is powerful compared to 2 months ago when I began to step by step train this. She rarely pulls, and we both are proud and I beam when she walks on lead. I look forward to sharing some of our successes with you as we "grow" along our loose lead way.

UncleBob, MF, Naya and 13 others like this.
  2. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Gosh you have really been through the mill with your "trainers", but you've come through it & you're building a fabulous bond with your girl. Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you and your dog click in training, & the dog gets what you're asking delivers? It never bores me.

3. Dawn_Treader

Indeed edzbird! It is fulfilling and joyful. I LOVE it when she looks at me like, "Hey, is this right? Are you pleased with me?".

I've been working on Pippa's clicker training for retrieval, step by step. Have trouble to get Mocha to be interested in a dummy laying motionless on the floor. Even when she is hungry and I have premium treats ready. I strayed from the instructions and threw it, and then there were no problems. I hope this is ok, and that it won't mess up the process. We are 4 days in. Anyone else adjust the instructions here?

I also have a dogs nearly bowling me over outdoors when they get a wiff of Mocha's recall treats. I put them in a thermos with tight lid, but they still can smell it of course. Reverting to the cat food packets, she loves those just as much as fresh roasted chicken. Today I tried to get her to run and play or sniff and do her thing so I could recall her, but she stayed tight on my heels. Lovely!!!!

edzbird likes this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What great news - love the cat food idea, lots of stinky fishy stuff!

:)

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My goodness there are some terrible so-called 'trainers' out there! So glad you and Mocha escaped, and are learning together in a positive way! Looking forward to reading more about your path together.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  6. Dawn_Treader

Boogie the idea is Pippas from her book. I find the tins and foils fantastic to fit in the pocket. Hope to God, one never breaks. I dump it on a boulder, snow log etc. She goes mad.

7. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

I used the cat food for recall too - really great as they fit into you pocket and easy to open! I sometimes plug kongs with a spoonful now as a treat!

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

So glad you escaped the err "trainers". I have had my fill of bad "trainers" too but not as bad as the ones you have encountered, so sorry to read this :( My husband and I have trained our rescue boy Charlie ourselves with the advice and support from this forum :) Keep us up to date about Mocha's progress :) xx

9. Dawn_Treader

It's now or never! I've proofed the recall against most of the distractions that can absorb Mocha's attention or get her into trouble. I am exposing her to horses, and she shows improvement each time. , Last week she dropped her big stick under my colleagues horses nose-perfect gesture of good will. If a horse surprises her, of if he is going fast, then off she goes like a rabid hound. They're just sooooo big. I wonder if she thinks they are Goliath dogs. It was dusk and a big black beauty shot out of a thicket, and it must have blown her mind. She went raving mad. I successfully recalled her to my side. Thank the Lord that cat food dumped on snow tastes so good. Well done Mocha! You're a superstar!

Beanwood, Naya and drjs@5 like this.
  10. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah Dawn,I've just been reading through your first post,you aren't alone in those experiences ....I've made many ( and continue to do so) mistakes along our way too.I'm so glad you've built such a lovely relationship now with Mocha...dogs are wonderfully forgiving x
    I admit to a smile where you said your Dad's working dogs were your pets 'when he wasn't looking' x

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  11. Dawn_Treader

Today I recalled Mocha from 2 deer. Who says miracles don't happen. Feeling so happy. Our walks are becoming more relaxed and joyful. Keeping my treats exciting and giving her the treat only every 3rd recall. Always praise, a play and a rub.
    Lots of fog today in the Zürich woods. [​IMG]

UncleBob, Kelsey&Axel, Karen and 11 others like this.
  12. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

What a very serene scene that is.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  13. Dawn_Treader

It was until a little kid with a sleigh and an uncommonly massive ski helmet walked by.

drjs@5, Pilatelover and snowbunny like this.
  14. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I read your post with a tear in my eye, what a story, so wonderful that you have turned things around. I've been so lucky with my trainer he is so kind and thoughtful, I have heard some horror stories it's heartbreaking. I'm forever making mistakes and I hope Mabel forgives me I think she probably does. Good luck with all your training and Im looking forward to future updates and definitely pictures, the one you have posted is lovely. Xx

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Dogs are so good at building trust even if they have had a hard time. They show such loyalty and love it's unbelievable. I'm glad you walked away from those trainers. Well done on the recall from deer.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  16. Dawn_Treader

I took Mocha to a group class yesterday. We tried the class 6 months ago, but gave it up after Mocha ran off with a cone that we were supposed to weave through. As she has been behaving exceptionally and maturing, I decided to re-visit what I started. She instantly knew where we were and she was so excited and began barking and pulling on her lead, wanting to socialize with the other dogs and sniff, sniff sniff. I started to feel embarrassed by her behavior. She was basically very excited. There were 2 other dogs that were advanced in their training and made us look like clowns. I like the trainer and she works with rewards. I think I found the right place. I did feel a bit overwhelmed by the huge gap of discipline between our dogs though. There was one dog that was amazing. Her handler's tone was however so harsh to her dog, that I stopped feeling ashamed. I know that how I work with her now works for us. Mocha responds to a gentle and loving voice. I will work very hard with her, but I will never use such a harsh voice, nor will I apologize for her just being a dog. There's so much pressure on dogs doing competitions or reaching a higher level, and this is all fine and good for others who have the right to decide what is best for their dogs, but for me this kind of training will all be taken in stride. I want us both to be happy and there is enough pressure outside of training and we want to have fun. Let's see where this takes us.

17. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

At my first ring craft lesson last week, my puppy was that one going completely bonkers. I had some inkling of what other Labrador owners who go to class were talking about. There's no point getting embarrassed, though - you have to take responsibility for the dog you have and, regardless of what the class is doing, do what you need to do to get success, whether or not that is anything to do with what the rest of the class are doing. Their success may be weaving through poles, yours may be getting a half second of attention whilst sat in the adjoining room.

Karen and Dawn_Treader like this.
  18. Joy

Joy Registered Users

It's lovely to read how you're training Mocha without being harsh. I've certainly had times of feeling embarrassed in a class (I imagine most people have) but I think if you keep going it will become less of a novelty to Mocha and so less exciting - and of course she will focus on you more and more as you develop together.
    I'm teaching a class (I'm not qualified and don't get paid) and it's really hard to stop people from feeling insecure and embarrassed when things go wrong. I keep saying things like, 'It's fine. If your dog could already do it perfectly there'd be no point in coming.' I've got a pretty mixed bunch and I'm trying to differentiate the activities so that everyone has success, but I find that quite tricky.

19. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

We're a mixed bunch in our class, with very different approaches. We were the class clowns once (and still the clown surfaces now and then), we now look at new comers with sympathy, and above all encouragement. I do cringe internally when I see lead jerks and forcing the dog down, but me & OH choose not to do it that way. Lots and lots of practice out of class is the key. I see some that don't seem to put the work in between classes and some that obviously work very hard.

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Good for you and Mocha, things will improve so just try to relax and it will happen but there's no rush. I totally agree with the pressure people feel to do one class or another, I bet it wasn't like that years and years ago, you do what you feel is right for you and Mocha but above all have fun. :) x

Dawn_Treader likes this.