More Flyball racing....

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by Oberon, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

We're at another Flyball comp - this one is an afternoon/evening comp, starting in the middle of the day. It's 29 degrees (C) so slightly toastier than is ideal! There are paddle pools deployed around the place and Obi has already given ours a test run.

[​IMG]

Obi has a new harness. We get them made for him, except he'd been wearing the same one since he was 1 year old and now that he's 3 it was too small and the rear strap was too close to his elbows. Finally his slack parents had hauled themselves up off their lazy bottoms and ordered a new custom one. It arrived this morning and is a great fit. New collar too!

[​IMG]

I broke a few ribs last week so I'm at the comp as a spectator only. My hubby Damon is running Obi - first time ever in a comp. He's a bit nervous!

They're up in Race 3. Obi is waiting in his crate.

[​IMG]

The ring all set up.

[​IMG]

2. Oberon

Just had our first race and Damon and Obi did really well! No mistakes, either canine or human. :)

The other team was much faster than us but in fact went so quickly that they 'broke out' which means they beat their nominated seed time by a second or more. The seed time is the fastest time the team thinks they can run on a good day and it is used to group teams for a comp so everyone races against teams of about the same level. There is a penalty for breaking out to stop teams putting in seed times that will group them with much slower teams that they can then demolish on the day. If you break out you lose that race and if you break out three times you forfeit the right to any prizes (you can keep racing though).

Post-race recovery (not that he ran very fast....as you will see from the vid I will put up later...)..

[​IMG]

We were running our slowest combination in this race, assuming we wouldn't have been able to beat this team anyway, so we have room to improve our times with a different combo (basically by leaving Obi out, hehe).

3. Oberon

Waiting his turn.

[​IMG]

Like greased lightening (not).

[​IMG]

Looking slightly faster on the way back...

[​IMG]

4. Oberon

Action doggie closeup. He carries the ball rather precariously at times... Got it hooked over a canine here.

[​IMG]

5. JulieT

JulieT Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Looking good, Obi!

Very smart in your new harness, and looking lovely and slim!

6. Oberon

Here are Obi's Canberra X-Factor team-mates:

Humphrey (rescue Labrador X)

[​IMG]

Pixie (rescue Cavoodle - her current home is her third and last)

[​IMG]

Peanut (Kelpie rescued from the pound)

[​IMG]

and Logan.

[​IMG]

We had several of our up-and-coming dogs in training at the comp too, just getting exposure to the comp environment. At the dinner break they're allowed to use the ring, two at a time, for practice.

This is Weston, who ran off to chase the dog in the other lane the second after I took this pic.

[​IMG]

And Caperberry, also a dog who likes to herd opposition team members but who did a great job today. Her turns on the box are fantastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a couple more of the Obo;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We left immediately after our last race (sore ribs) so I'm not sure how well we did, but we usually come second in our Division, so I'll guess second place! Or maybe third. Definitely not first.

In our last race (which was after the dinner practise session where food would've been dropped in the ring..) Obi stopped halfway up to the box to investigate the possibility of a treat on the ground. Everyone on our team was yelling "GET THE BALL! GET THE BALL". Hubby was yelling at Obi "COME HERE! COME HERE!" I'm yelling at hubby "NO, GET THE BALL! GET THE BALL!" meaning him to tell Obi to get the ball (not come back to him). Hubby thought I was telling HIM to get the ball, so he starts running up to the box to get the ball. I was like "NO, NOT YOU, THE DOG, THE DOG!!!!". But it was too late, he'd crossed the start line. As soon as a human puts a foot over the start line the team loses the race. So we lost that one, but it was so funny seeing hubby running for the ball. Lord knows what he was thinking. It's not good to laugh with broken ribs though.

Hubby and Obi were a great team, despite the one hiccup, and did a fab job. I might have lost my job as dog handler at future comps....although hubby is also usually our box loader (person who puts the balls in the box for each dog) which is a job he is very good and and I am very bad at (I daydream too much and forget to put the balls in) so perhaps my dog handling position is safe still.

Obi is now flat out sleeping.

7. Oberon

Thanks Julie! He's been working on the waistline. Charlie is his inspiration! :)

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Looks fabulous! You had me chuckling at your description of hubby going for the ball :)

Pixie looks like a little flyer! Has she taken off for that fence already?!

9. JulieT

HeeHee - I'm very biased but I love a slim, fit looking show line Lab, I think they look smashing. :) (Not that lots of slim working line Labs don't look smashing too!).

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

10. Oberon

Fiona, yes, she's taken off and won't land again till she is on the other side of the jump she's heading towards (same as with all the dogs who are in the air at the moment the shots were taken). The distance between jumps is 10 feet and the aim is for one landfall only between each jump. Obi can do it all the way up and back when he's motivated enough and it's not too hot (but let's say that his forte is generally reliability rather than speed....).

Yep, definitely love the look of a fit, slim show line dog :)

11. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Loving all the photos You did make me laugh with your description of hubby and confusion over the ball . The paddling pools are a really good idea.....looks like Obi was enjoying his time in it.
    He is looking very handsome
    Hope your ribs heal quickly, they can be very painful x

12. Oberon

Obi says thanks for the kind words :) He works hard on his look.

I didn't get a pic of it but they had also set up one of those perforated hoses that sprays a fine spray out along its length. People were walking their dogs up and down it (Obi doesn't like spraying though so kept to the paddling pools). Keeping cool is a priority at these summer events... And hydrated - we bring milk along for Obi and dilute it with water - he'll drink any amount of milky water. A lot of people bring cold chicken stock but Obi loves his milky water.

13. Oberon

Here's a YouTube vid of one race: http://youtu.be/5rfJgqRmbmY

Obi is the last dog to run in our team and he doesn't feel any major need to make it snappy, hehe. Mind you, it was about 30 C at this point, if I can offer that as an excuse.

14. JulieT

Obi looks relaxed, he is enjoying himself, and he isn't too 'wound up'. My gundog trainer would approve (she thinks flyball winds dogs up too much).

Charlie would be wound up tighter than a very tight spring in that environment (and there is NO WAY I'd get him to jump which would involve thinking on the way to a ball :rolleyes: ), and I'd much rather he was the kind of dog able to be calm.

15. Oberon

There were certainly some very wound up and stressed dogs there. Some clubs really try to revv up their dogs before a race. Our team is more into trying to achieve a calm and steady focus... The excitement of the environment is something to proof the dog against. I certainly scream my head off when it's a close race...but I want my dog to respond to that with more physical effort, not by losing his head. I would definitely say that Obi's focus and steadiness around other dogs has improved as a result of Flyball. But a different approach would've very much seen it go the opposite way.

At the end of the day it's supposed to be fun and if your dog is stressed and unfocused they're not having fun...

16. Oberon

Obi was so tired last night he slept on his own bed (instead of ours) but as soon as hubby briefly got up this morning Obi nicked his pillow.

[​IMG]

They're now attempting to share the pillow in an arrangement that has seen 98% of the pillow go to Obi and 2% of the pillow to hubby.

17. JulieT

And quite right too - let's face it, Obi's Dad might have the reflected glory, but it was Obi that did all the running....

18. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hang on, it sounds like hubby did a bit of running for the last ball . Laughed my head off picturing a man running down and over the jumps!

Sounds and looks like a great day and Obi looks very good in his matching harness and collar (Ella licked the screen when I was looking at the photos so I think she'd like to pass on her approval ☺).

It's nice to hear of another lab that doesn't like spraying water as Ella is a complete sook! She wouldn't even get her ball from near the sprinkler (I ended up getting it for her) but loves her shell pool (like the ones in your photos) ☺☺

19. Oberon

Oh yes, hubby did run for the ball! I think he was running against a Cavalier on the other team, and making good time too.

20. Oberon

Obi thanks Ella for the lick of approval :) He asks if you can tell Ella that his outfit was made local to her in Melbourne, by Blackdogwear.