my 4 month old pup won't poo other than @ home

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Leo tovar, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Leo tovar

Leo tovar Registered Users

Hello everyone, and bless this website :)
    I am a Newbie so I'm in need of help in figuring out my 4 month old yellow lab with his potty issue.
    He's doing good with going poo &pee outdoors ,once in a while will get an accident in the house so a doggy door is needed to avoid this accidents.
    Anywho when we go for a day at the park or a walk I try and motivate him into going pee or poo but he will not,he holds it till we get home . I'm scared he might get a urinary tract infection if this keeps happening . Please help thanks

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum.
    When my girl was a pup it took until she was 12 weeks before she wee'd out on a walk - I praised her massively to show that's what I wanted her to do. I highly rewarded every time she went. It took until she was about 4/5 months before she would have a poo other than at home. We never went out for longer than 45mins (mostly off lead)as I restricted her running due to protecting her joints so it wasn't as though she had to hold it in for too long.

3. Jenny B

Jenny B Registered Users

Id actually leave him be. Our dogs have always 'held it' - the first we got as a 2yo and she always held on til we got home until she was at least middle age. The current oldest dog is 6yo and he will usually hang on - bit did when younger (also got him around 2) aside from marking stuff he thinks he needs to mark. The puppy who is now just over 6 months old aside from leaking now and again through excitement has gone once when she squatted a week ago on the way back from a walk and thats been it.

Enjoy the fact you dont have to clean up after the puppy while it lasts - I think its a confidence thing, once they get confident and want to tell others its their whatever (tree post, grassed area) they will then not hold on til home. Perhaps ask him to go in the yard before going out on walks etc?

4. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

Sparky is 6 months old and he still holds his poo/pee until we get back home from a walk 99% of the time. Before we would leave the house I would ask him to poo/pee to minimize runny poo I have to pick up after a walk. Most of the time he will pee only, sometimes with a poo. We would go do our short walk and then he would go poo/pee when we return. There have been a few times that he would suddenly poo on the street, but he has no problems going on the grass.

Sometimes paying attention to when he is due to potty helps regardless where you are. If I know he is due to pee/poo, I would wait until he at least pees before we abandon the idea and drive home, or try again in 15 minutes. One thing with Sparky when he started Puppy School was he had trouble going potty when there are alot of distractions around like other foreign dogs/people near him. Moving him to a far away spot from distractions helped him focus on to me asking him to go potty.

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Don't worry, he won't get an infection - we train our Guide Dog pups to only pee and poop at home.

But, if you are out all day you will need to be able to get your pup to toilet. So, I would teach him to go on command.

To do this you give the command (we use 'busy busy') AS they are weeing for a few weeks, then just before you KNOW they are about to wee for a few weeks, then when you know they are 'full' for a few weeks. Give treats and praise every time. After that they will squeeze one out for you any time. Mollie is 12 weeks old and will already wee on command :angel:

6. xxryu139xx

xxryu139xx Registered Users

For a second there I thought your dogs can hold it for a few weeks... had to reread it again.

7. Leo tovar

Leo tovar Registered Users

Thank you all for your advice
    I will keep working on it

8. dhrinda

dhrinda Registered Users

Hello and welcome. My chocolate lab Saphy. Has never weed or pood on a walk . She always waits till she comes home .i used to worry about it but not now. She is 4 now . So don't thing she is going to change now don't worry.

9. Lin

Lin Registered Users

I have the exact opposite problem, my 9 year old rescue won't use the garden at all, apart from a couple of runny poo incidents. I have been trying for 9 months to get him to associate 'be quick', which I used with a precious rescue lab, to mean have a Pee. He just won't get it, so tomorrow we will try 'busy' and see if that works!