My labrador barks at everything and everyone

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Bev, May 25, 2011.

1. Bev

Bev Guest

My Labrador has alot of excercise but while we are out she will bark at everyone , I have let her of her lead in the field but if she sees another dog she will run upto it bark twice and come back, it can be quite embarrasing. Any advice

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: My labrador barks at everything and everyone

Hi there

The starting point to break this habit, is to teach your dog not to rush up to strangers. This means putting a lot of work into your recall command, so that you can teach her to come back to you, and sit next to you, even in a public place and where other people about.

You will need to reward the dog with tasty treats for sitting politely and focusing on you, as people and dogs go past. You may need to start this training with the dog on a lead.

Joining a group training class will give you chance to practice calling your dog in amongst other people and dogs. Have you been to any training classes with your dog?

3. Re: My labrador barks at everything and everyone

No but I think this could be good for the dog

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I think you would find it really helpful :)

5. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

Hi

A friend with a sensible old dog that will sit quietly while you recall yours is a good step towards recalling in a group too. Good luck!

Sam