Names - any ideas

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Deneo, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Deneo

Deneo Registered Users

I have a few names in mind but would welcome any ideas. She is going to be a gun dog so penelope et al are probably not the ticket :) . Thanks all.

[​IMG]
    2012-10-03_10.34.30 by Deneo66, on Flickr

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Re: Names - any ideas

I am hopeless with names, but I'm sure you will think of something that suits her :)

3. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

I'm already looking at names for our new pup, and she's not due until next spring!
    What's her kennel name? My first lab was from a Brackenbank dog so she was of course Bracken, her brother was Brac. A friend has a girl whose Kennel Club reg names her as Perfect Partridge, so she's known as Perdie (a partridge being perdix). Although we had one who started of life as Ellie (after the local river) but was soon Black Bramble, Bramble or Brammie for the rest of her days. I'm sure her name will soon become known to you and her.
    One piece of advice which has proved invaluable, it was given to me aged 10 just before I picked my first pup, try standing on your back door step and yelling the name you've picked. If it sounds daft, or you feel silly shouting it you won't keep it so pick something else now.
    Enjoy her she looks lovely.
    Kerryn

PS after some plants we're on goddesses at the moment! Well it takes all sorts.... :)

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I like people names, all my dogs have had them . I like names like Tess , Bess , Beth , Sally etc. good luck and I agree with Kerryn , try it out on an imaginary dog and see how it sounds :)

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

She's a beautiful pup...

I've found it sometimes works to wait until you get the pup home. Suddenly a name that suits seems to appear from nowhere! You can always just call her 'Puppy' until then...

6. Deneo

Deneo Registered Users

Thanks for your wisdom folks - I will use the shouting at the door idea and will probably wait until we get her home
    Thanks again

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Lark, Larka, Flute, Eccho, Flick.

Stacia

8. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

some good thoughts above my friend names his after favourite authors - Phinn the flat coat is named after gervase phinn, I know many gun dogs names after what their handlers carry on their hips - brandy, whisky, etc :D or the guns.

I know I tried to avoid names that get lived up to - I've seen the havoc my friend back labs Storm & turbo can bring! then ended up with Barney forgetting about rhyming slang! I do sometimes call my two Dyson & Vax...

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I have a friend with a spaniel aptly named Havoc... ;D