Neutered dog far too interested......

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Dexter, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi everyone,

I've just been reading through the Neutering thread that's running at the moment and thought I'd share something that happened ( and worried me ) a couple of weeks ago to see if anyone has experienced similar...

My friend has recently adopted a young female husky ,she thought she was about 6/7 months old but she started a season a couple of weeks ago.With this new dog she now has 3 dogs and we walk happily and regularly with them.
    Off we set on our walk and it was a complete nightmare,Dexter was neutered at 13 months and he couldn't have been MORE interested in the Husky if he'd been left intact .....they wouldn't leave each other alone,he was desperate to get to her and humping her when he could get near her . In the end I said I was taking him home ,he wouldn't walk away ,he dug his front paws in and braced and then lay down and wouldn't move.We all had to walk back to the car together otherwise I'd have never got him moving .I had my friend's male spaniel with me too ,he is a VERY easy going member of our walking gang and joins us regularly ,he is the same age as Dexter ,neutered a little earlier but by the same vet and showed NO interest in the husky at all,he was off lead the whole time with no issues.
    I was a little bit horrified by Dexter's reaction,he IS massively sensitive to his environment and smells,movements ,changes in it ,he doesn't miss anything ,but this was like an intact dog trying to get to a female,it made me question the success of his operation to be honest! I've had a think back and to my knowledge I've never known of a time when a neutered Dexter has come across a female in season.There's the famous story of him dragging me across the park on my knees before he was neutered ....my friend having seen him in this episode said she could honestly believe that story completely now and that I wasn't exaggerating!

Has anybody else have their neutered male act like this? ....the desire and drive where definitely there.....

Once he was back in the car ,he calmed down straight away and I took the 2 boys for a run in a different area and he was as good as gold ......

Thanks

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I don't have much experience with neutered boys, but there is one particular male dog that we bump into every now and then and he constantly wants to hump Harley! He was neutered at 15 months, Harley was done at 12 months. The owner said he's not like it with any other dogs!

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I have no experience of this myself - we had neutered rescue dogs growing up and none ever seemed interested in girls. Maybe we just never met any girls in season, who knows? But I've just done a very scientific "ask Dr Google" and found many stories of people saying their neutered dogs will mount - and even tie with! - in-season bitches. So it appears you're not alone :)

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Are some dogs given the 'snip' rather than castrated? This would retain their sex drive.

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Dexter likes this.
  6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think if Dexter's plums are missing, I'm not sure how unsuccessful the operation could have been....?

I quite like the explanation in the article that Fiona links to - males are males, basically, even if you snip their bits off. :)

Dexter likes this.
  7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Yes, males are males despite being neutered. I have two castrated males, one lost me first place in a working test because there was an interesting bitch about and as he was running back with a super retrieve, he suddenly stopped to sniff where she had been sitting! On the whole though, that is the only time I have seen him express any sexual interest. The older Lab can be interested and usually likes Yellow or Chocolate Labradors! We have walked with a bitch in season and neither expressed any interest then!

8. Dexter

Thanks for the link Fiona,from reading it Dexter's actions were definitely libidous....he wasn't trying to assert himself ,he's hardly bothered with this particular dog apart from normal interest when she joined us to walk the first time.
    He's Definately sans plums,Chris's description of him looking like an 'empty teabag' after his op will always stay with me :rofl:
    I was just so surprised that he was SO interested ,I wasn't prepared for it at all ....

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Was that a serious comment about Dexter's plums or were you joking? If serious, I have been at many, many castrations and I cannot see how it could not be successful (bitches could have a little of the ovary left), the testes are completey removed, I have held hundreds while they are still attached :)

10. Dexter

Oh heavens! Stacia ,the things you've seen!

SwampDonkey and Stacia like this.
  11. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

LOL, if you meant Boogie's comment about the "snip" I took the question to mean did he have a vasectomy? If so then the dog would retain a sex drive.

A lady we all know brought her in season bitch to walk, let her out of the car right in front of Oban, who she knows is intact. But the other three dogs, two neutered males and one spayed female were also pretty riled up. Poor Dexter, she must have been an awfully pretty girl.

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

SwampDonkey likes this.
  13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I meant if Dexter has been castrated I can't see how it wasn't successful. Same as you said. :)

SwampDonkey and Stacia like this.
  14. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Dexter you go boy!! :D

Well it happens to girls too, Hattie is 9 years old, she was spayed over 7 years ago but when we meet an intact Black Labrador and Flat Coat Hattie goes into super tramp mode, running around them, flirting, up in their faces, chase me, chase me :oops: Needless to say the boys LOVE it but have never attempted to hump her they just have great hoolie :D there's life in the old girl yet!! :D xx