Neutering Male Dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Lee Bell, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes - my husband and I moved in together when we were 18, we lived in London (40 years ago today!!) - we went straight to Battersea Dogs Home to get a dog - Instant family! Boogie came to university lectures with us, moved homes with us, saw our two boys grow up and was our constant and perfect companion. He was the size of a border collie and the colour of a Manchester Terrier with the personality of a Labrador. He never needed a trip to the vets in all his 19 years. When he died he simply went to sleep on his favourite cushion at home. There isn't a day goes by when I don't think about him.

2. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Boogie Oh, he sounds absolutely adorable, no wonder you use him as your username after an amazing 19 years as part of the family. Congrats on the anniversary today :)

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thank you! :)

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I haven't had a dog neutered myself (except for the family Labrador about 40 years ago), but several of my neighbours have had their dogs neutered over the past couple of years, mostly without any problems, though I have to report that the shaggy Spanish sheepdog Tony from across the road was very upset and wild immediately after the anesthetic wore off. As I remember it took a couple of days for him to calm down. This was only a short-term reaction though; he is a completely delightful (if slightly disobedient) dog with a lovely nature.

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I have had three male dogs neutured and they don't hate me, why should they, they don't understand! My dog even wags his tail and is excited to meet the vet (when we our out walking) who neutered him and she didn't make a very good job of compared to the other two, he was black and blue!

I think neutering is a sensible, though best to leave it until they are at least a year old or older. They don't have sexual urges that cannot be met, how cruel for a dog who wants to mate and is denied :) it! There are still plenty of other excitements in life, food, scent etc. There are some health benefits, though others would deny this, however, having worked at a vet I have seen enlarged prostates etc and the dog has to be neutered.

6. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I've never neutered a male dog but lots of cats. Just two weeks ago we live trapped and had neutered a young feral Tom that's been hanging around since spring and we've put food out for. Joey is not as skittish as some, he stays out in full view while we work in the yard and doesn't run far away, sometimes only feet. Nevertheless we worried the shock and trauma of being trapped, taken to the Vet and neutered might cause him to avoid us or worse, run away and be killled on the road. Nope, 24 hours later there he was waiting to be fed. He stays just as close, is not any more afraid of us than he ever was.

"I just want to know that he will be ok and not hate us forever for making this decision."

Cats and dogs are pretty much alike in many ways. If a stay/feral/dumpee we can't even touch is sitll ok with us I imagine your dog, who has established a loving relationship with you, will be the same.

7. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sam definitely doesn't hate me , in fact he remains the devoted friend he has always been , he also still adores the Vet who carried out the operation, in fact he adores going to the Vets full stop , but then he does get biscuits from the nurses and gets to hang out behind the desk :cool:

8. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

As a vet I have personally neutered all our own family animals (4 cats and 5 labradors) over the years plus done all other necessary veterinary procedures and they definitely don't hold it against me! They are all a bit upset by the GA for 24 hours or so, but soon back to their loving, mischievous selves. They have all been more miffed by the pre-GA starvation than anything else.....

Bridget3789 likes this.