New black lab puppy owner

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by JGreen167, Jun 14, 2016.

1. JGreen167

JGreen167 Registered Users

Hi - 2nd time around puppy owner. First time was 17 years ago. Do I know what I am doing?? Not sure....

2. JGreen167

Waking at 5.40 - in pen dry & clean, but desperate for lol. Will this change with age or am I creating a routine?

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome to the forum. Tell us more about your pup, boy or girl? What's his/her name? We love puppy photos as well. I went something like 17 years between puppies so it as bit of a shock to the system, particularly that you have forgotten how tiring puppies are :). I think to have gone to 5:40 with a clean, dry pen is really brilliant. I used a crate for Juno but when up early for a toilet break I just didn't interact with her and popped her back in her crate to settle again for an hour or so - well at least a more respectable hour before getting up. I wouldn't worry about creating an early rise routine, for me it's better to have a we go outside to toilet routine as soon as possible and early rising will improve as bladder control improves. :)

Newbie Lab Owner and JGreen167 like this.
  4. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my two.

A pup after 17yrs must be a bit of a shock to the system, but it sounds as though you're doing well. He/she will gradually gain bladder and bowel control and will soon be sleeping in until you stir.:)

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi there and welcome to the forum from Poppy and me.

JGreen167 likes this.
  6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to the forum! :)

JGreen167 likes this.
  7. JGreen167

Hi & thanks for all encouraging comments.
    Pup is a boy called Cooper - tried to put pic as profile but always upside down!

Was a very unplanned addition despite talking about getting one. Ad sent to me my hubby from an oil rig on Tues, got him Sunday. Playpen arrived Wednesday.... Had makeshift set up & messy floors til then. Not the best.

Made an error in feeding him at 5 - stopped that Sunday, but have been letting him into living room at that time and he does fall back asleep a short while after. (With me dozing on settee til time to get kids up).

May try tomorrow to stay in kitchen to keep it as subdued as possible and see if he'll jump back in. I just thought after 7 hours in pen his time was maybe up.

Gap was due to losing last lab early - very painful

Karen likes this.
  8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

You can try to fix this yourself by opening the photo on your computer, rotating it all the way around and then saving it before uploading. Or, if you'd rather, let me know and I'll PM you my email address so you can send it to me and I'll do it.

9. JGreen167

Thanks - will try /be in touch.

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Welcome. Do buy Pippa Mattinson's book "THe Happy Puppy" you will find it such a help and a comfort :) It answers so many questions and worries.

JGreen167 likes this.
  11. Joy

Joy Registered Users

I think 7 hours overnight is probably as much as I'd expect from a very young puppy, but he will gradually sleep on longer in the mornings as he grows up. I got Molly suddenly - saw ad, phoned and collected the next day - and have no regrets. Wishing you much happiness with Cooper.

12. JGreen167

Thank you. Still in the whirlwind of reduced sleep. The breeder said its like being a new mum without the 9 month to prepare ;)

13. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

If you think of your puppy as a baby you won't go far wrong. For the first weeks they pee, poo, eat and play and you are on constant toilet duties and reduced sleep, then comes crocopup followed by teething and then you have a nice lull with a happy puppy only to reach the teenage phase :) At least with puppies it all passes faster :)

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome from me and Lilly.
    Hope things go smoothly. Sleep is precious :D
    jac

JGreen167 likes this.
  15. Newbie Lab Owner

Newbie Lab Owner Registered Users

Hi and welcome to you and Cooper.

JGreen167 likes this.
  16. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forums from Millie and I

JGreen167 likes this.
  17. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum from Fred, Annie and me. Cooper sounds like a lovely puppy and did very well sleeping for 7 hours overnight for you. He will soon be going through the night. Like Rosemary said he is just a baby, but in a fur coat :D Enjoy him while he is a puppy, it will go so fast.

18. JGreen167

That was weird - the breeders name was Rosemary, I thought you knew her lol.
    Def a baby - just the lack of 9 month mental prep.
    (Slept til 6 yay)