New puppy parents

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by samaylor, Jan 16, 2017.

1. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

Kongs are about to become your best friend.

Use them!!!!! :D

samaylor likes this.
  2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Agree with the kongs. Mine get several a day. Luna started on them when she was 8 weeks of age. What bad things have you heard?

3. samaylor

samaylor Registered Users

Oh my, she is gorgeous! Her little face:) Aww I se that's great, I thought so but ti's just hearing mixed reviews I thought I would ask. I think we will definitely be investing in a few!

4. samaylor

Sorry I didn't realise I hadn't sent a reply there... not so much I suppose that was the wrong word to use but just that they're not really useful all the time for keeping the pup entertained or anything. We have bought two off Amazon and one is small (to me it looks tiny) and looks as though when the pup grow it may be a choking hazard... and the other one looks more normal sized but my partner doesn't think it looks small enough for a puppy!

Obviously they're designed for pups as they both state 'KONG Puppy' on them, but the large seems quite. If for him and the small is tiny?!!

:)

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there - we are neighbours in Fife!
    Kongs are great, but can take a while to master.
    We never had a baby one, but didn't discover them as a puppy (Lilly is going to be 7 in May).
    We have bought a small one though for a visiting labradoodle pup :D
    They are pretty small and not really suitable for lab puppies for too long! Bear in mind a chihuahua puppy is no comparison to a rottie puppy!

Initially moistening normal puppy kibble and gently stuffing is good, then you graduate on to freezing and stuffing with tasty contents (tuna, cheese, carrot, banana, honey - all comes with time and experience).
    You will see how he gets on with them and how long they take to empty, At the beginning sometimes pups need help to get the hang of them, but labs, liking their food, normally don't need too much encouragement.
    Some dogs can destroy even the tough black ones, so you have to keep an eye out for chew wear on them just like with any toys you may have.

They are an excellent investment!

jac

6. samaylor

Hi Jac,
    That's great thanks for the tips and advice... I have seen a lot about freezing them but we wedren't sure exactly what kind of foods to place in them. Yeah, there will be a lot of time that I spend with him initially so I an obviously be there for help him if needed:)

Perfect! I may have to purchase a few more just for back up!

7. lisa humphreys

lisa humphreys Registered Users

We have tried the kong and a treat ball and this just makes Scarlett more hyper and frustrated Has any one else had a pup that gets over excited with these . Today I have hidden a small amount of peanut butterin the creases of a raw hide chew to try and keep her entertained. Any other ideas would be a great help

samaylor likes this.
  8. snowbunny

I use medium for my puppy, from 8 weeks of age, and both medium and large for my adult dogs, depending on how long I want them to last.

The "puppy" part is just about how durable they are. The rubber is softer for the puppy ones. The red ones are "regular" and the black ones are for power chewers. My pup has both puppy and regular red ones. My adult dogs aren't power chewers, so still have the puppy ones from when they were babies :)
    When I upgraded to regular ones, I thought they'd be a different size to the puppy ones, but that's not the case.

b&blabs and samaylor like this.
  9. samaylor

That's great thanks. We have two and the small one is absolutely tiny! Wayy too small for a lab pup we think but we may be wrong! Ours are baby pink and baby blue... I don't know if this makes a difference?:)

10. Helen1977

Helen1977 Registered Users

My puppy Lucy has a small Kong at the moment- she is a little lab though, about 5kg at 12 weeks! Last night she spent 45 minutes on a chicken, apple, kibble and peanut butter frozen one. I give her one when we eat our meal in the evening so we don't get the begging eyes!

samaylor likes this.
  11. snowbunny

The pink and blue just means they're the softer rubber. The small is very small, yes. My puppy has blue ones and also manages with the red (slightly tougher) ones, all in the medium size. My adult dogs have medium or large, in red. Some dogs do better with black if they destroy red ones.

12. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

The Kong website has a guide on weight/size and the correct kong. Quinn still uses her medium pink puppy kongs...she just licks mostly and they are in good condition! The red large are better for her size now, but I still give her the pink when we are just popping out for a short while since she finishes those really quick.

@lisa humphreys is the treat ball a rubber thing they have to get treats out of or something you put her kibble in that she has to roll to get it out? The treat balls can be frustrating to a puppy if the treat is too hard to get out...I highly recommend a kong wobbler or similar. They just roll it with their nose/paws to get the kibble out. We used it a lot when Quinn was small and hyper in the evenings, and still use it sometimes.

13. lisa humphreys

lisa humphreys Registered Users

hi Quinn,

Yes it is a ball that they roll around , The treats do come out easily but she just gets so hyper with it...... I I've not heard of a Kong Wobbler I will have to have a look Thank you :)

We gave her some ice cubes last night ( a post I'd read on here ) she was so funny, pouncing on it like a fox does when he hunts but didn't eat it. Carrots are a great hit and I will try her with apple at the weekend when I'm with her incase she gets a upset tummy. I've also read on here that raw chicken drumsticks are a good treat ? do they have to be frozen of just as they come ?

Many Thanks

samaylor likes this.
  14. snowbunny

Just as they come. Wings are an easier introduction, but my 14-week-old absolutely demolishes drumsticks, too :)

samaylor and lisa humphreys like this.
  15. samaylor

Hahaa oh goodness I'll be a sucker for that especially as he is a little boy! We went to visit him again on Thursday and already I can feel how much I'm going to love him ha! With the frozen kongs do you basically just put the paste inside and freeze it?:)

16. samaylor

All this info is so helpful even just reading about the ther quesitons you guys have! We visited him again on Thursday so I will post some pictures once I'm home. He's such a gorgeous boy! :)

17. snowbunny

At first, you're best not to freeze it, as the puppy will get bored quickly. So, get him addicted by just using something easy at first - even just a few bits of loose dry kibble in it. Once he's got the idea of that, you can upgrade to stuffing. You want to be careful with puppy tummies not to introduce too much new foodstuff too quickly, as it can upset them. With my puppy, I'm using kibble soaked until mushy and with some tinned tuna, sardines or minced beef mixed through. She had a couple of weeks of them unfrozen, but now (nearly 15 weeks) manages completely frozen ones.

There's a whole thread about them: http://thelabradorforum.com/threads/stuffed-kongs.5133/

samaylor and lisa humphreys like this.
  18. samaylor

That's perfect, Thank you!!:)

19. samaylor

Just a further couple of questions here.... We have just st up our crate which is an Ellie-Bo 48" with a divider... We have put the divider in maybe half way but just wanted to get some clarification on whether that is enough space for him as when we put his bed in, it literally filled the space.

Would we leave his bed out and he sleep in the crate on comfy blankets/newspapers etc then move the bed in once he is bigger or increase the size of the side he would be in??

I will attach a picture below to show :)

Thanks!!!

20. snowbunny

What kind of bed have you bought him? Because he'll probably wreck it ;)
    Luna is just on vet bed, which is pretty indestructible for most puppies.

The advice is, if using the crate for toilet training, that the pup should be able to stretch out in it, but not much more than that, or he'll probably use it to go to the loo, which you want to avoid.

samaylor likes this.