No heat cycle at 17 months :(

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Timtam, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Timtam

Timtam Registered Users

Hi, I have a beautiful chocolate lab girl that has never come on heat!, I bought her as a puppy and have kept a pretty close eye on her as we also have a yellow girl that has come on heat twice since we got Lyla and our boy has never really showed interest in her. My mentor thinks she is properly Barron and my vet said to give it untill she is 18 months old, but we are nearly there now, so I'm wondering if anyone could give me any help and advice. Thanks heaps :)

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hi and welcome! Were you thinking of breeding from her? Otherwise it isn't a huge problem if she never comes on heat, some dogs are just like that; my mother had a collie that never properly came on heat all her life.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

War welcome from me too . I agree with Karen, it needn't be a problem . Some bitches also have such very light seasons that their owners don't realise that their dog is on heat , maybe a check with the Vet but I truly would be too anxious about it .

4. Timtam

Timtam Registered Users

Yes we where going to breed from her as she comes from really good healthy lines. I know girls can have a silent season but have watched her closely and haven't noticed anything.... Her vulva has not swelled up like they do even after the first heat has passed, I assume she will not be suitable for breeding??? But will make a wonderful pet :) .... Would just like to know if anyone else has a girl that has not come on heat ?? Or has come on heat very late?

5. kateincornwall

Not me personally, but a friends bitch had her first season at about 20 months, so theres time

6. Timtam

Timtam Registered Users

Wow ok well that helpful to know.
    Sorry in my quick response I forgot to say thank you for the friendly welcome :) it's night time over here and the dogs chase the kangaroos through the creek !! Drives my nuts! Thanks again :) look forward to reading and learning more about this amazing breed.

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum!

If you are able to breed, will this be your first time doing so? If so, you may not be aware that there are many health tests that should be carried out on both parents before you go ahead with breeding. These ensure that the likelihood of passing on inherited conditions and diseases is minimised. If you skip these tests, not only are you risking the future health of the puppies and the breed as a whole, but the puppies will also be worth a lot less, as informed people will not buy pups from litters that don't have both parents with good test results. Here is some more information: http://www.thelabradorsite.com/healt...ador-diseases/

Karen is currently jumping through all the hoops to breed from her bitch so she has a wealth of information on the subject, although she is based in Germany and their rules may be a little different to yours. There is a link to one of her threads here: http://thelabradorforum.com/forum/ne...sults-are-back

If you've done this all before, sorry for trying to teach you to suck eggs (that's a funny phrase, I wonder where it originated?!), but it's probably better to highlight it at this point, rather than it being a surprise further down the line.

Anyway, welcome again from me and my two monsters, Willow (black bitch) and Shadow (yellow dog), both coming up 11 months!

8. Timtam

Timtam Registered Users

Thanks for the info, I am really just looking for info from people who have had a similar situation to mine and what the result is. I have had labs for more than 20 years and have bred before, however I never claim to know everything as that would be nieve and you are never to old or wise to learn new things. it is not something I take lightly which is why I am trying to resource as much info as I can, please understand my Lyla, is EIC clear PRA clear comes from imported blood lines and has excellent hip scores... I am a ethical breeder I did however buy her from a registered breeder who to my horror was a puppy farmer!!
    I have not had this happen before and I don't know any one else I can ask, I do work with a repro vet but he is not a breeder.
    I understand as admin you don't want to give breeding advice to just anyone, but knowledge is key in my opinion and rest assured I'm not a beginner. I don't really know what else to say about me , but welcome any comments relating to my topic. Thank you for the link to Karens forum snow bunny :)

9. kateincornwall

So good to read that your girl is tested , even though she came from an irresponsible breeder , we are always happy to help , however I agree, we never ever stop learning , good luck with your girl .

10. snowbunny

That's all very reassuring to know. I hope my post didn't come across as judgemental; I just wanted to give a heads-up in case you didn't know the importance of health testing. It's obvious that you do, which is great :)

I didn't give any advice on breeding because I have none to give, having never done it before. My admin status is more about my techie abilities than my doggy knowledge ;)

I'm a first-time puppy owner myself, always striving to learn more. As you say, knowledge is key!

11. Karen

Karen Registered Users

We'd Love to hear more about your dogs and see some photos too. Whereabouts in Australia are you?

12. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi and Welcome! Seventeen months is a little bit late, but not that unusual. People tend to think of first season being soon after six months, but many do not fit this expectation. Three of my current four bitches came on heat for the first time at well over a year old. So there is time yet, she may just be a late starter.

13. BeataK

BeataK Registered Users

Some bitches can have first season as late as being 2 years old so I wouldn't worry too much yet :)

14. Timtam

Timtam Registered Users

Thanks every body!, I am in the Gold Coast hinterland Queensland, its school. Holidays and beautiful blue sky so am taking my daughter to the beach today :) ok back to my crazy Labrador pack... I have 3 girls 2 yellow and 1 chocolate girl, they are so funny they love to swim creak or pool ... Love to chase the kangaroos which is a problem as we have so many as they are fast, and are great snake spotters which comes in handy. Both my yellow girls have had 1 litter each and are fabulous mums, as for Lyla well she came from a bad place as is very busy!!! All the time but she is young and as long as she gets plenty of exercise and jobs to do she is fine, except for the lack of heat of course! :)

I have heard giving them natural vitamin E and sunflower oil can help bring the in season has any one heard of this?

My 3 girls, Summer , Lyla and Millie :) I'm not sure how to ad photos ... Sorry

15. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Hi

My bitch did not have her 1st season until she was about 20 months old. She just matured more slowly and she was small.Shes fine and very healthy.
    My vet suspected she may have had a season a few month previously as she went of her food and was just sad for a few days, but she has no physical symptoms other than this.
    maybe your other female coming into season has inhibited her in some way or maybe she is like my girl and just slow in maturing.
    S

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Timtam - just stopping by to say Hi!
    I know nothing about either breeding, good training, or techy stuff" (@snowbunny does herself a dis-service!) so can't help with the season stuff.
    I would love to see pics if you can work out how to upload. My techy knowledge extended to doing a guide to Flickr and uploading photos, but doesn't help if you are on an ipad/mobile (due to the change in the apps) so much as a laptop. The link is here if it helps.
    I have fabulous images of your dogs chasing kangaroos.....I guess its the same as mine chasing deer :D

17. snowbunny

Dumb question from someone who has never been to Australia ... are kangaroos dangerous for the dogs? And can they outrun(hop) a dog?! The thought of being somewhere with wild kangaroos hopping around is pretty alien to me! :D

18. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Kangaroos Box don't they? ....my Dexter would be right in line for a punch on the nose!
    I just wanted to say hi and welcome,I have nothing to give in the way of season advice,Dexter is my first dog and he's a boy ,learning as I go along most of the time!
    Best wishes
    Angela x

19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Kangaroos are dangerous for dogs. They're much faster than most dogs. They're able to grab a dog with their front legs and....er.....disembowel it with their hind feet while standing on their (kangaroo) tail. They lure dogs into dams and then drown them. So, don't let your dog chase kangaroos...!

I see kangaroos pretty regularly as there are a lot of bush areas and farmland areas where I live. They hang out right outside the dog park too.

20. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Eek! Lot to be said for the UK.