Now we are both limping

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Pilatelover, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

As many of you know Mabel has ED and has many episodes of limping. She has a check up on 7 March and I have prepared myself for further surgery as the limping and stiffness varies on a daily basis. Unfortunately since September the arthritis in my hip has got worse and I have now developed a dreadful limp and walking is so difficult. We are a right pair together, I'm still finding immense joy walking my girl and curling up on the sofa afterwards to rest with a coffee, piece of cake and my girl. I have a hip replacement booked for 8 Feb and have put everything in place to have Mabel cared for. Despite this I still feel anxious and wondered if anyone had any little tips, stories or experiences they could share.
    I don't expect any training will be done I just want her kept safe and happy. Which is such a shame that Im going to be out of action as my little choccie girl is doing really well at the moment.
    Someone said to me the other day, very tongue in cheek. They wondered if once I stopped limping she would too as she may be copying me and thinking this is the way to walk. Doubt if it'll happen but a nice thought.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I don't have any experience of hip replacements, sorry. But I wish you all the very best, hope it's a great success, and that you'll feel the benefits for years once you have recovered from the op. :)

I do have a experience of a dog with many more breaks from training than I'd want though....I'd say that Charlie is way behind where he could have been if I hadn't taken months, and months, and months off training. But it's not stopping me training what I want to train. It's slow, certainly slower than if I had done everything perfectly from the get go when Charlie was a puppy, but so far I haven't failed to train anything that I have wanted to train. That's not to say I've been completely successful, as in everything is 'finished' - no way. Nevertheless, everything I've tried I've made progress with. So my progress has been delayed, and success is somewhat 'hard fought' in some cases, but everything still seems possible.....:)

pippa@labforumHQ likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

LOL.
    Well, you are bound to be anxious.
    Lilly was following in my footsteps with her HD as I had congenital hip dysplasia of my left hip before she came along.
    Had an op when I was about 4 years old, another one around 20, then what they call resurfacing (a Birmingham hip replacement) 11 years ago last week - it was my anniversary visit to the audit clinic. I was all of 40 years old when it was done!
    This was pre-dog, but with a 10 year old and a six year old. And the OH of course.
    Made me really really detest morning TV.
    It was a bit of a long haul for me as it wasn't a normal hip replacement and I was non weight bearing for the first 4 weeks, which isn't the case for the usual procedure.
    Best advice is to keep fit and active and to follow the instructions to the letter. To the letter.
    Also limit your visitors in hospital, don't let anyone sit on your bed or your seat in hospital, or bring you flowers (most are banned in elective orthopaedic wards). And don't be scared to ask someone to wash their hands before they come near you if you haven't seen them do so.
    Eeek! That wasn't the kind of advice you were after, was it!

I found my hip replacement truly life-changing. 9 months after I spent 2 solid weeks walking around Florida and Disneyland, the worst think being swollen ankles but NO PAIN!

All will be good. Mabel will be fine. She will treat you with love and care. She will love her new bionic mum x

4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sorry to hear this Claire and I wish you luck for your operation and will be thinking of you. There is a member on the forum that had a hip relacement so I hope she can offer you some help and advice. I think Mabel will be just fine as you have everything in place for her so you will need to concentrate on your own health for now, training can wait until you are well enough to restart with Mabel.

Please take care. xx

5. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Just wanted to say good luck for your op and recovery xx

6. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Good luck with your hip replacement, Claire.

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Mabel will be absolutely fine while you are immobilised. She is a good girl so a few weeks without "training" won't have a long term impact. My only thought is perhaps look into some training you could do with her while being a bit immobilised? Some of the quieter stuff that is good for dogs on restricted exercise? You can work on Mabel's reading as well. Don't forget it is a short period when you won't be able to train with Mabel the same and how much more pleasure you will get from walking with her when you're not in pain. Xx

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah good luck with your op...my Dad is waiting on a date for his too x

Pilatelover likes this.
  9. Pilatelover

OH has just taken Mabel on one of their special walks, what ever that may mean . I've just had to let them go, I've just peeped out the window her heads held high and tail wagging she's on some kind of mission all looks good to me.
    @JulieT Id only mentioned to my neighbour yesterday how amazing but still behind Mabel is in her training and without her health issues she would be incredible. And yes everything is hard fought and like you I believe progress is always possible. Same old motto keeps reoccurring one day at a time.
    It is a whole year today since we collected my choccie bundle of joy, I never expected for it to turn out quite like this, but one that has definitely changed my life for the better.

10. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Doesn't a year fly by - Happy 1st Anniversary on Mabel's arrival in the family :D, hope you are gong to celebrate the event ;). It sounds as if Mabel enjoys her special walks with OH, so less for you to worry about while you recuperate :)

Pilatelover likes this.
  11. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Just to wish you much luck for a speedy recovery after your op Claire , Mabel will be an excellent nurse I`m sure , she sounds delightful :)

12. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Best of luck for your op Claire, fingers crossed for a rapid recovery :)

13. Pilatelover

We are off to see my parents and going to OH's favourite park.

MaccieD likes this.
  14. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Good luck with your hip surgery. I hope it works for you as it did for a friend in our ice skating club. He had both done and he's one of the best skaters, even at plus 80 years old. He had them done well before he hit 80.

Another good story, a dog walking neighbour is hoping her right hip can be done soon so both will be as good as the left. She is 80 now and continues to walk a good sized dog, mix of Lab/GSD/Husky.

Here's wishing a good story for you too.

Pilatelover likes this.
  15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I had a hip replacement done in 2013, when I was 53. The recovery took longer than I expected, but I can honestly say it has changed my life. NO MORE PAIN is the biggest change, I never take painkillers any more, and I was living off them... I hike mountains, swim, ride a bike, do dog training, go scuba diving, and go to yoga classes. I feel ten years younger - and so will you.

You will be pretty immobile when you come out of hospital, and afraid of getting bumped or knocked over. Mabel will probably naturally be quiet and good (they can tell you aren't on top form), and I found it helped for me to sit in my secure chair and then have Poppy come to me, rather than trying to bend down to her. Life is complicated and SLOW for the first few weeks after the op - I was lucky to have OH at home all the time, so Poppy didn't get bored and he could help me with things. (I did throw my crutches once at him in a temper tantrum, but that's another story!!! :rolleyes:.)

Main advice is to take it slowly, do EVERYTHING the physios and doctors tell you, and get neighbours, friends or a dog walker organized to take Mabel out at least once a day. And keep us updated how you are doing. Good luck - it's no fun, but it really truly is worth it.

Helen, Pilatelover and JulieT like this.
  16. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I know many people who have had a hip replacement, not one of them regrets it.

First the slight tense look of someone in permanent pain disappears.

Then the walking stick disappears.

Then you get to see them around a lot more.

Don't forget to do your excercises, the surgeons do a wonderful job but it is up to you to build up your muscles etc

All the best with it , you and Mabel will be striding out side by side with not a limp in sight

Pilatelover likes this.
  17. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

All the best for your op - my Dad had it and was up and walking the next day!

Pilatelover likes this.
  18. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

All the best for your op. My friend had a hip replacement about 12mths ago, she's as good as new now, walks miles with her dog.

I too am having an op on 10th Feb (hysterectomy), I can so sympathise with you. My two dogs are my biggest worry, it's going to be so hard to trust someone else to exercise them especially my Pointer who doesn't stay half as close as the Lab.

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I know a few people who have had hip replacements (along with knees, they're pretty common with skiers!), and all have recovered remarkably quickly. Best wishes that you have a speedy recovery.

Same for you too, Mandy. I hate having to entrust my dogs to someone else, so I sympathise wholeheartedly. I'm sure that they'll be fine, though, and will help you recuperate with lots of doggy cuddles.

Pilatelover likes this.
  20. Pilatelover

Thank you all so much, @Karen I'm also 53 and taken note of everything you've said. I'm pretty scared now but by far the worst is having someone else look after Mabel, so I'll do as I'm told then I'll be back to walking her in no time. OH has the most wonderful boss who is allowing him to work from home. My youngest works for himself from home too so no problems there.

Best of luck with your op Mandy, I have a hysterectomy at 33 and it changed my life for the better. I'm also sure your dogs will be fine as Im sure Mabel will be. It's just they're our furry babies and we all worry like mad, it's only natural. Take care x

Cath likes this.