Op to remove cyst

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Debs, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Is today! I've just left Maisie at the vets fast asleep after her pre-med. She is having a large cyst removed from her tail.

As some of you will know I have had had problems with Maisie being frightened of the vets. We have not had the best of experiences with our previous vets, but oh my goodness I can't believe how kind, patient and caring the new vet practice is! When you take your pet in for a procedure you do not enter the building through the main entrance but via a side door that takes you to a conservatory and garden area where you are met by a nurse. Maisie was her beginning to show her usual stress signs but the nurse was so good with her that she quickly calmed down and eventually lay down and had a snooze while we waited for the vet :D. The vet didn't fuss, just gave me a small treat to distract Maisie and the pre-med was done! Thinking back to a previous visit to the old vet of broken needles and four people holding Maisie down and being accused of having a badly behaved dog, I'm so pleased that this time it was stress free. She was asleep in ten minutes on a lovely cosy bed!

Hopefully I'll hear how things are going at about 2.30pm.

On a different note, we've just had a lovely holiday on Cornwall, and Maisie had a ball! Here's a few pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pilatelover, MF, Naya and 2 others like this.
  2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's great to hear. What an absolutely wonderful vet practice.

And great holiday pics!!!

She'll be home before you know it and I'm sure everything will have gone well.

3. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Sounds like a wonderful vets practice.

She will be fine with people like them to care for her.

Lovely photos too.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Looks like you had a wonderful holiday! Nice to hear you found such a great vet's, and Maisie will be back home with you soon.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hope all goes well today.

Lovely pics!

6. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hope the op goes well. x

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

What beautiful pictures!

The new vet practice sounds perfect. I'm sure Maisie is in the best hands possible :)

8. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Glad your new vet was so much better. You'll be hearing from them soon!
    Lovely holiday photos - I can spot some sunshine in one.;)

9. Debs

Debs Registered Users

So, we are back home. She's not reacted well to the GA, vet thinks that the GA has increased her anxiety levels, so we are home early. She has the "cone of shame" which is not to be removed and most of her tail bandaged and protected by a plastic tube.

Unfortunately the "lump" had grown in the time we had been away and the op was a lot trickier than expected. There wasn't enough skin to pull the wound together so she has the middle part of the wound open. The vet is hopeful that it will heal, but has warned me that the tail will have to be amputated above the wound if it doesn't. Hopefully the histology results will be negative.

Feeling a bit like we shouldn't have gone away :(

Back on Friday for a bandage change and she may need to be sedated again form that. Poor Girl looks very sad and keeps banging into everything.

10. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I can understand how you feel, but I am sure one week (2?) would have made a massive difference. Sorry she reacted 'badly' to the GA. Tails are difficult to heal but with patience it may do well. The holiday looked worth it, Maisie had a fantastic time, lovely looking dog.

11. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Meant to write WOULD NOT HAVE MADE A MASSIVE DIFFERENCE. Wish we could modify our replies, so frustrating!

12. Debs

Debs Registered Users

@Stacia yes about two weeks, but even I had thought that it felt bigger. I think the vet was surprised at the size of it.

13. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Fingers crossed that all will turn out well x

Debs likes this.
  14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh god what a worry. I know Angela had a terrible time with Dexter's tail, and that it eventually had to be amputated. He doesn't notice the difference, and is just as gorgeous! The biggest worry for you must be the histology results - fingers crossed all is ok there.

15. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I'm sure if the vet had thought going on holiday would have a negative effect they would have said so. Fingers crossed it heals well and the results are good.

The holiday looks fabulous! :)

MF, Debs and Stacia like this.
  16. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

At least you all had a wonderful holiday.She looks such a lovely dog and so happy. Hope everything heals well and she's ok soon.

Debs likes this.
  17. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

The holiday photos look amazing! Hoping Maisie heals well. What a great find your vet is though :)

Debs likes this.
  18. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Glad she is back home with you. She will soon get better being at home with her Mum.
    Hugs x :)

Debs likes this.
  19. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hope it all heals up beautifully.

It's never nice to have to have a procedure of any kind....and no-one could ever love a cone. I'm sure it's a rough time for you all at the moment. I hope that before too long it's just a memory and you can all get on with life. With many more fab holidays ahead!

Debs likes this.
  20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Fingers and paws crossed it heals up without any trouble.

Debs likes this.