Owner of first ever dog....a black lab puppy!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Clara6667, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Clara6667

Clara6667 Registered Users

Thank you

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you.

The main site here is the best place to go for training tips :D

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Hello Clara & Buddy, from Coco & me. I'll just add to the treat list - you might be lucky & Buddy LOVES raw carrot - Coco will work for little discs of carrot. I roast a joint of beef topside of silverside and chop that up small. I'd stick with his normal kibble while he's still so young. Coco will work for kibble happily.

4. Clara6667

Haha yes I've given Buddy a whole carrot...he happily chews it and eats. Although I don't think his teeth are quite strong enough because not only does it take him ages ..when he chews chunks off pieces fall out of his mouth....but I've read it helps with teething! :)

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My dogs will work for carrot and kibble...when they are bored stupid and have nothing better to do....:D:D:D

But kibble on Wimbledon Common. No. That is not going to cut it. It would be like training with both hands tied behind my back.

I do not cook anything for my dogs. I barely cook anything for humans! :D

Both my dogs adore cheese, but it gives both of them runny poo if I use too much, so I limit it. Mostly I use supermarket bought cooked meat - turkey, mainly. Prawns are good. Low in calories, smelly, easy to chop up small and the bits don't fall apart when you throw them. Sausages always go down well. I often roast a duck and chop off all the meat into training treat sized bits.

Clara6667 likes this.
  6. Granca

Granca Registered Users

Hello and welcome! It sounds as if Buddy's settled in very well. My two love banana, so you could try sliced banana too.

Clara6667 likes this.
  7. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Welcome! Sounds like yoy're off to a good start.

I started giving Homer carrots to chew on as a puppy and four years later he still has one after dinner each evening. In the beginning he took ages to gnaw through it, cold and crunchy. He now gets through them in under a minute. Pieces still fall on the floor then he hovers them up. I tried other veggies and fruit but carrots are a firm favourite.

Another trick we learnt early on was to keep some of his kibble back from every meal and use them as treats. We use a plastic container with a line drawn on it for his daily rations. Any tasty scraps, I keep in a container in the fridge and add to his meals.

Mrs M and Clara6667 like this.
  8. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome to you all from me and 3 year old girl, Harley :)

Training wise - give your children treats to hold then one them to call him to them, when he comes give him the treat. Get the second child to call him and do the same. I done this on walks and in the garden with Harley from a young age and her recall is pretty solid because of it. I also find it a really good exercise as when out you / children can hide behind trees and call him to find you.

9. Clara6667

That's a good idea...but at the moment he's quite snappy at taking treats (not all the time) and would worry he would hurt the children hands!

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Train your children to give the treat in an open palm, like you'd give a sugar cube to a horse :)

Clara6667 likes this.