Paroxysmal Dyskinesia

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by paddy, Aug 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paddy

paddy Registered Users

As I said - if you seem to have found something that helps your dog - go with it. I am just saying that many labradors with dyskinesia do not respond to pheno and other drugs used in epilepsy.

2. Sanet

Sanet Registered Users

My dog also suffers the same fate. Thanks for all the information.

3. paddy

paddy Registered Users

Hi Sanet - welcome to the forum. Sorry to learn that your dog has paroxysmal dyskinesia. I would be very interested to hear more?

4. Rth

Rth Registered Users

Hi all,

I have a female lab Sasha (3 1/2 years old) and based on the symptoms I think it suffers from PKD. She had her first crise when she was about 2 years old. Now she has one crise every 4-6 weeks and most of the times this happens when she is asleep and there is a sudden noise.

Paddy, can you please get in contact with me as I think we can share some more info.

Arthur

paddy likes this.
  5. paddy

paddy Registered Users

Will get back to you

6. Janine Seal

Janine Seal Registered Users

So interesting. I think this is what our choc lab has. He has a handful of 'funny turns' since we got him 2 years ago. Almost like he's drunk, little control over his legs, really wobbly. And then in a matter of minutes, he's absolutely fine. Our vet did run a few tests and found nothing. Should we take him back, do you think?

7. paddy

paddy Registered Users

Hi Janine - welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about what's been happening with your dog. It would be good to have a chat. I'm a bit tied up today - hope it will be OK if I get back to your via pm/conversation over the weekend?

8. Janine Seal

Hi,
    Thanks, he's absolutely fine in himself, but every now and then he just has these odd episodes.
    Thank you, that would be great. I look forward to chatting with you.

9. ArchieBoy2011

ArchieBoy2011 Registered Users

Hi Paddy, After various tests I have been advised that my beautiful 4.5 year old chocolate Lab Archie may have this condition. He has had several episodes where he loses feelings in either his front or hide legs. The last episode was just over a week ago after coming in from the garden, he couldn't stand properly and his right front leg went into some kind of muscle spasm. We was conscious throughout, although his heart rate was racing as he didn't know what was going on. We reassured him everything was ok and within two minutes he was back on his feet. They seem to happen every 6 months. We have an appointment to see a neurologist and a MRI at the end of August. He has been examined by an orthopaedic consultant who thinks he also has a bulging disc. Each episode is when Archie makes sudden movement, for example chasing a squirrel or running up steps from the garden. I will advise you all of the outcome from his appointment and MRI. Thanks again for sharing and to all those lovely Labs who are suffering from this condition I hope a cure is found soon

paddy likes this.
  10. ArchieBoy2011

ArchieBoy2011 Registered Users

11. paddy

paddy Registered Users

Hi ArchieBoy - sorry to hear about your lab having episodes which you feel may be paroxysmal dyskinesia. Good to know that you have a neurology appt sorted out - and hope you will let me know how things go. Mark Lowrie's article on paroxysmal dyskinesia in labrador retrievers appears in this month's edition of The Veterinary Journal. It shows that something like 75% of labs with PD show some improvement over time - with around a third going into complete remission. Fingers crossed that your Archie may be in this group. The Breed Council have recently discussed PD in labs and hopefully a questionnaire will shortly be circulated (via the KC) to all labrador owners, with a view to trying to establish how common the condition is. If you would like to have a chat - please get in touch via PM/conversation. I would like to hear more about Archie

12. Labrat96

Labrat96 Registered Users

Hi Paddy

I was very excited to read this thread as the symptoms you describe and your video exactly match the episodes that my now 5 y.o. male black lab has been having since he was about 21 months old. I have kept a log of the episodes and other observations that might be relevant ever since he had the first one. For about the first year and a half he had them roughly every month, and they were getting longer in duration. I was convinced that it was not epilepsy but the only time I took him to a conventional vet, I had to be quite firm in refusing epilepsy drugs. I then took him to a homeopathic vet who tried a few things that did not help, but then, since a final change of remedy and some chiropractic type manipulation, the episodes have become much less frequent (4-8 months gaps). I would be happy to share my observations if they might be helpful in researching this condition.

paddy likes this.
  13. paddy

paddy Registered Users

Glad to share experiences! Bit tied up this evening - OK if I pm you tomorrow?

14. paddy

paddy Registered Users

Labrat96 - have messaged you via "conversation" section

15. Erin

Erin Registered Users

Hi!!!

I'm so happy to have found this page. I have a 3 year old happy and healthy yellow lab that has had similar episodes over the past 9 months- they all happen in the same situation, waking up from a deep sleep. He remains alert but can not control his front legs and his head and neck seem to be affected as well. They last for a few minutes and then he is perfectly normal, like nothing ever happened. I would love to chat more and I have videos of all of the episodes as well. Nobody has been able to diagnosis this- all blood work and neuro tests come back perfect. Thank you so much! If it is this disorder I have a huge sigh of relief as it is so scary to watch and not know what is happening during an "episode." Also, I did recently find out he has allergies, I wonder if diet could affect this?

16. Janine Seal

Hi Erin,
    I know just how you feel, we went through the same with our dog, Duke, it is scary and horrible to watch as they just don't understand what is happening to them.
    It may be complete coincidence but we changed his food to a completely grain free food and (touch wood) he hasn't had a 'turn' since (about 3/4 months now). It might be worth trying.

paddy likes this.
  17. paddy

paddy Registered Users

Hi Erin - sorry to hear that you believe your lab has paroxysmal dyskinesia. I would love to hear more about him and what has been happening, - and am happy to answer any questions you may have. I have to dash out right now - would it be OK if I contact you via PM/conversation? Hopefully we can have a chat.

18. Erin

Erin Registered Users

Thanks everyone!! Yes, I'm new to the lab forum, will PM come through similar to email?

Janine- funny you said that and thank you for the advice. I actually just came home from the pet store and switched his food from Candidae all life stages to canidae pure- which is gluten free. I'm switching all treats as well. He does scratch his ears and has kind of droopy eyes, so his vet suggested we try a limited diet.

The episodes are just so strange- they literally happen every 1.5 - 2months almost to the exact day. Right after he is just like nothing has happened, and so happy and playful. I've been to the vet hospital twice after the episodes, contacted his vet and have been doing so much research and thank goodness I stumbled upon this. For months I have been making myself go insane not knowing what it happening.

Thank you all for your help! It feels so good that I'm not alone!

19. paddy

paddy Registered Users

Hi Erin - I have started a "conversation" with you - so if you go to your profile at the top right hand corner and click on your Inbox you should see "conversations" Hope to hear from you again soon (and apologies that I couldn't chat with you yesterday)
    June

20. paddy

paddy Registered Users

Good to hear that Duke is doing well Janine! Fingers will remain tightly crossed!
    J x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.