Pooing indoors

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Yvonne, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Cooper is now 2-3/4 years old. Has been housebroken for at least two years.
    About once a month I get up in the morning and he has pottied in the living room (hardwood floor). He goes out just before we go to bed and he does his business. Does not wake me up during the night but I get "that present"!!!
    I am concerned,of course, because he does not alert me to his need to go.
    Have any of you had this problem at this age?

2. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

What is the poo like? Firm, healthy? Or soft?

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Mine only tend to do that whrn they have a tummy problem.

4. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Firm and healthy!!!! (thank goodness easy to pick up)

5. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

No tummy problem. I just don't get it!!!

6. SwampDonkey

Have you tried feeding earlier ? That sometimes helps

7. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

He gets fed at 6:30 latest....he then gets a Greenie and two tiny biscuits.....real weeny ones....before we go to bed. We go to bed around 9:00. I am at a loss to figure out what has changed for him.....it is so frustrating when you really can't figure it out!Thanks for answering my thread.....Rosie, thanks to you, too.

Rosie likes this.
  8. SwampDonkey

It is frustrating but you will get to the bottom of it:) they can be strange creatures

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Maybe his last toilet is just too early if you go to bed at 9.00 pm but it's odd that this is a once a month occurance. I hope you get to the bottom of it. x

10. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

We are up at 6AM so, basically, he holds it for 9 hours....but he is asleep. I go to bed at 9 because he has been sleeping for a couple of hours before he "decides" it's time to turn off the TV in the family room and go to the bedroom! I then watch TV in the bedroom but he sleeps.
    I honestly cant figure it out....should keep a record of what he eats every evening...including treats....to see if there is something that triggers this. I just hope it STOPS and remains a mystery!!!

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Does he have a poo before he goes to bed, and do you see him do it?

12. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Julie, he ALWAYS wee's but hardly ever poo's. I take him out and stand with him....he wee's and then he runs into the garage to get inside the house. We are probably outside 10 minutes, in the dark, in temps (last night) of 25 BELOW Farenheit!!! But the not pooing happens 90% of the times but him pooing indoors is once a month...these last three months.
    I know what you have said "you want an empty dog when you go to bed" and I am with you 100% .... but if he doesnt have to go then how do you MAKE him go....? I cant take him for a walk at night ....(1) have had two total knee replacements and still have some trouble walking over uneven terrain during the day and (2) I am in a neighborhood that don't put lights on outside (I do but am the only one).....so it's pitch black outside. Of course I could use a flashlight but have to go back to my darn knees (for now....I will get better) and (3) I live in the Northeast of USA.....snow, ice and cold. Slipping and falling is something I am trying not to do. It really baffles me.....

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I do appreciate your reasons for not walking your dog before bed, but I don't think the problem of poo inside is baffling at all.

If you can't make sure your dog is empty before bed by walking so he has a poo, and he won't tell you he needs to go out, then you'll sometimes have poo inside. That's just the way it is. Sometimes he just won't be able to hold on and that's that.

The other option is have him sleep in your bedroom, of course, then it's much more likely that you'll spot his signs that he needs a poo. If that's not an answer...well, poo inside it is, I think.

14. Joy

Joy Registered Users

How about feeding him his last meal much earlier, say 4.30, and then 20 minutes before you want to go to bed making him active (play) indoors so that when you let him out he'll be ready to poo. ( I can quite see that you don't want to be outside for long in those temperatures, but I think he may need to move before 'movement'!)

15. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Julie, he does start sleeping in my bedroom (not in my bed) but since he has the run of the house, I know he gets up during the night and sleeps ON the bed in the guest room,also on the sofa in the family room.
    I totally agree with you that he should be empty before going to bed....Joy has suggested (I like this idea) that I play a game indoors with him 20 minutes before going to bed and then
    go outside with him. I can play with the frisbee down the long hallway or with the tennis ball.
    It's not always 25 below...that was chill factor,by the way.....but we are just starting Winter here so not only will it be cold, it will also be snow on the ground....lots of it....and ice.
    I just would like to know WHY this has started suddenly.....he has a bladder that must be made of cast iron because he can hold his wee forever and he always held his poo before.
    Maybe he is like me....I am getting older but it's my pee I can't hold! ha, ha! Not funny sometimes, though! Have a great day. And thanks.

16. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Joy,I love your idea....never thought of it. Playing a game with him where he moves half an hour before putting him out is great! Thanks. I am going to try it tonight. I have a long hallway where I can throw the frisbee or a ball and get him to run. And then take him out.
    Usually, when we walked (past tense for the time being) he definitely would go. This "game" at night may help many of us that live in the Northeast of USA....we are just now starting Winter so we have a very looooong time to endure it. I hate Winter but Cooper loves the snow
    so we stay here instead of flying off to Florida!!! Again, THANKS. Will keep you posted. Have a great day!

Joy likes this.
  17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I should think one night he just couldn't hold on, so had a poo. After that, it was just easier and easier to poo in the house.

18. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I was thinking it might have been separation anxiety but see he can be with you if he chooses. Have you thought of getting a dog door so that he can let himself out to poo? Or maybe if you live in the USA you just have open gardens with no hedges or fences?

19. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Hi Stacia, he has a fenced in area right off the deck but to get from indoors to the deck I have a sliding door and there is no place to put a doggie door.
    I am going to try what Joy suggests.....play with Cooper half an hour before bed time....throw a frisbee or ball down the hallway several times, so he moves.And then take him out.

20. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Yes, you are totally right. But have to break that "easier to poo indoors" thing!