Poppy's training log - finally!

Discussion in 'Your Training Logs' started by Karen, Aug 31, 2015.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Ooh, I'd LOVE to borrow Charlie for a day! That would be huge fun!

I know I have nothing really to winge about, but the training logs are about the highs and lows... And right now I'm not feeling very upbeat about things. I feel like we put so much time, effort and yes money into the training for that blasted exam. A freezer full of cold game, all that driving around to training seminars... I'm sort of questioning whether I've got a bit too obsessive about it all... (OH would say DEFINITELY ;) )

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I wonder if the formality of breeding in Germany has encouraged this in you. Making sure all the exams are passed, boxes ticked etc

The few people I know who've had lab puppies have found homes for the vast majority of them based on people seeing and liking their girl more than competition results. I'm quite sure the same would be true of Poppy.

At the end of the day she's still your lovely girl who, although almost as obsessed by retrieving as her mum ;) , is just desperate to please and be with you xxx

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm sure Charlie would love it too! :D:D:D

I didn't mean to sound dismissive, was sort of trying to joke and cheer you up, that's all. :D It doesn't matter that you're streets ahead of most people when what matters to you is that exam though, I know.

You don't sound obsessive to me - well, no more than anyone who is really trying to achieve something. Difficult things need work and you have to be a tad obsessive to keep going... it sounds more like it's naturally a big blow for one thing to go wrong on a big day and it to ruin the whole thing. That would really upset me too.

5. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Oh, hugs Karen! Really, the more I think about it, the more I think it's an ENORMOUS ask of any dog to maintain the enthusiasm needed to run out fast over long distances on a retrieve, yet still stay dead steady on something like a walk-up (which is my personal nemesis also - add hunting spaniels as well as shot and lunacy ensues!!)

Really, Poppy's achievements far outweigh her areas for improvement. We think you're both fab

6. bbrown

It's also tricky as at some point you kind of settle for what you've got. For some people that's FTCH for others it's a decent working companion and for others it's a lovely family pet......

Which do you want?

If it's FTCH then you have to have a little time out, a rethink about how you get past your current stumbling block and push on :D

It should always be fun overall but if you want the heights you will undoubtedly have some knotty issues to sort out along the way. If it was easy everyone would do it :)

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

It's true Barbara, and right now she is cuddled on the couch next to me, with son and I having a deep discussion about the meaning of Bohemian Rhapsody and other Queen songs. All is well, although she's not keen on our singing! She's a lovely, lovely dog and it's me, not her, that needs to loosen up a little!

Thank you all for being such a great group on this forum, you're stars xxx

8. bbrown

Well if you can work out the meaning of Bohemian rhapsody you will have done a good nights work!!! :D

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

So disappointed ... :(:(:(

In August Poppy and I came third in our first official working test in the intermediate class, which qualified us to take part in the Deutsche Retriever Club finals this month. We have worked so very hard over the past weeks and months, and things have been coming along wonderfully (apart from the set-back at the hunting exam). We were at a full-day training seminar last Friday, and she was calm and steady but keen, and her marking is excellent. She follows directions well to a blind even over longer distances; she is a determined worker and never gives up even in heavy cover and I am proud to say that her delivery to hand from water without dropping the dummy or shaking is now almost 100%.

So, even though I knew that the level of the other dogs in the Working Test Final would be very high and that some of the tasks would likely be very stretching or even beyond our capabilities, I was delighted that we were one of the 45 dogs to take part in the intermediate class. A huge honour, and I was very proud that we had qualified and would be participating this weekend.

So you can understand my bitter disappointment that Poppy has just come into heat... which of course debars us from taking part. :(:(:(

10. bbrown

That is a huge shame and I really feel for you. I have no doubt though that you and Poppy have a long and illustrious career ahead of you :)

And of course no seasons - no puppies and Poppy puppies will be a wonderful thing indeed xxx

11. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That is a shame, they always seem to pick a tricky time don't they? But there will be other Finals for the gorgeous Poppy I'm sure, but I really understand your disappointment.

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, what awful timing. I have to admit, though, I was reading your post with my heart in my mouth, dreading hearing that she'd injured herself or something. I know it must be bitterly disappointing to you, but that training will not be wasted; Poppy will have her day in the limelight and it will be well worth the wait.

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Poppy's heat is just about over now, and we are going to a full-day training seminar tomorrow. Really looking forward to it - weather forecast is good, some friends are going too, and it's time we got back down to training after three weeks enforced rest?,

14. Karen

Karen Registered Users

We had a wonderful training session yesterday! Poppy so enjoyed it - she was the only female, and indeed the only labrador there. The others were all working line golden retrievers. We did lots of work with the dummy launcher, including walk-ups, which went very well indeed - no running in, I am very pleased to say :) . She marked well, searched with enthusiasm, and is getting better and better at long blinds. I was terribly pleased with her. We also did some work on jumping fences, which was useful as we haven't done that for a while. The trainer loved her and was very interested to hear about our breeding plans.

It was the kind of day that reminds me why gundog training is so much fun!

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Sounds like a great session Karen.....bet there's going to be a huge demand for Pop's Pups x

16. bbrown

Fabulous! So glad you had a good time :)

17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

So today we were working mainly on mark and blind combos - a double mark, one to either side, with the dog being sent down the middle between the two marks for a blind, before then being sent for the marked retrieves. She was SUPER, really understanding what I want and working with me as a team. We also did a retrieve over the river, followed by a blind over the river, with a search in reeds for the hidden dummy - all no problem for lovely Poppy, who also delivered to hand each time with no shaking. Such a good girl, on top form at the moment!

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Good girl Poppy!

19. bbrown

Loving your work Poppy xxx

20. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Yesterday we re-took the Bringleistungsprüfung (hunting exam for retrievers), and passed with flying colours. :cool::cool::cool:

The day started at 07:30 (gulp), with a 200 m trail with cold game across a meadow, followed by a double blind each of about 50 meters. After that general obedience was tested, involving off-lead worked followed by a 'down and stay' with the handler out of sight and two shots fired. Pops didnt move a muscle, good girl. This was followed by a walk-up. My heart was in my mouth, but Poppy was really quite calm and didnt run in, and she marked well. Her nerves showed though, as on the return she dropped the duck about 10 feet in front of me and chomped on it a bit, before bringing it in to me. Truly, that was the only mistake she made all day. After that there was a simulated drive with shotguns fired. The dogs had to sit or stand quietly by their owners, no whining or barking and no running in. I kept Poppy on the lead, which cost a couple of points - as it happens she was so well-behaved I could probably have left her off the lead, but I didnt want to take any chances.

Next was the work in the woods, which started with a search for three pieces of cold game, followed by a 300 m trail. She loves this work, and did very well. After that there was an on-lead obedience test (walking through woods with a slip lead which goes around the handler's shoulder, so your hands are free). The dog is supposed to walk closely to heel, not getting tangled up in the trees, or tripping the handler up! All went well. Phew.

Finally we drove to another station to do the water retrieves. Poppy was shaking with excitement and she could hear the other dogs working and the shotguns, but didnt make a sound. When it was her turn, she retrieved the thrown duck with no problem, and then came her real moment of glory - I had to send her across the pond for a blind into reeds on the other side. It was really hard work, and took her about five minutes of tough work in the cold water and in the reeds, but she didnt give up; stuck with it and then proudly came back with her find. I almost cried, I was so proud of her.

We got really good points - full marks on everything except the one retrieve in the walk-up, and a couple of points taken off because I kept her on lead during the drive. In the end we had the highest points of the day, and I was so proud of my dear, good, brave, determined little dog. We finished just as the sun was setting, and as we got home snowflakes were falling and we had two inches of snow in the evening!

Here she is on her blind across the water:

[​IMG]