Popularity of Lab Colors

Discussion in 'Labrador Breeding & Genetics' started by Ski-Patroller, Mar 31, 2016.

1. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I've had 2 yellow girls previously and we were going to adopt a black boy who was failing in his field training but unfortunately he had to be PTS on health grounds. Originally when awaiting a puppy from Juno's breeder I wasn't fussy about colour, we just wanted a girl :) Then when Juno's litter arrived we had first pick of the girls - 3 black and 3 chocolate. From the moment we knew the litter was on it's way we wanted a black girl. When the puppies were born and we saw those first photos all of a sudden our girl had turned into a chocolate :D

lynnew, Cath and drjs@5 like this.
  2. MF

MF Registered Users

I always vowed I'd never get a white dog because of all the skin issues that seem to befall white dogs -- non-scientific evidence, of course, it's what I've seen with friends' dogs. But I forgot all this when I saw Snowie's father, a really beautiful white Labrador with dark black pigment (nose, rims of eyes, paw pads) and chose Snowie cos he looked most like his father (I had first pick of the yellow boys, there were two).

When Snowie developed his itchiness, I found myself looking at photos of his butter-yellow brother and regretting my choice of white immensely. Of course, this was before I got to know my boy and developed such a close connection -- I wouldn't swap him for the world. But if we ever get another dog, I think a black Lab would be first choice -- from what I see around me, they seem to have the least health issues.

I'm in Cape Town, South Africa, and chocolate Labs are a trend here (much like chocolate Pinotage was the rage a few years ago). It apparently meant puppy mills were churning out the chocolate Labs without interest in health issues. Admittedly, the choc Labs I see are beautifully proportioned and very athletic except Snowie's bestest friend in the world, a choc Lab with hip dysplasia. The choc Labs are also submissive or very obedient -- from those we come across. The yellow ones seem to be the most boisterous!

As far as hair is concerned: our wooden floors are painted cream, our carpets are beige, our sofas are cream, and our linen is white. You cannot see Snowie's hair -- so his colour was a good choice cos he does shed a LOT (you see his hair on our red Persian carpets, and my car - the "dog" car - has a second carpet of white hair!).

As for keeping him clean: easy-peasy, the dirt stays on the surface of his coat and you simply wipe him down with a towel and he's back to white.

I think my favourite colour is that old-fashioned ginger Labrador, which you seldom see anymore. After chocolate, white seems to have taken over in the fashion stakes, not just amongst Labs, but also Golden Retrievers, most GR puppies you see are white.

Regarding the term, "chocolate", I wonder if it was devised by a marketing group? "Brown" just doesn't have the same ring, does it?!

lynnew, kateincornwall and drjs@5 like this.
  3. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Yes, I wonder where the term 'chocolate' came from? In most other breeds a brown dog is Liver, I have a liver & white Pointer, you get liver Flatcoats, liver & white springers etc.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

I was never drawn to white dogs either. What colour was our rescue ESS? Mostly white. I particularly did not like white dogs with colour on only one side of the face. Whisper only had a few liver freckles and one large spot on her back, the other, where else, on her face covering one eye and ear. IN no time that colouring became the most beautiful thing in the world to me. :)

lynnew, Cath, drjs@5 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Chocolate tastes better than Liver, probably even to the dogs.

MF, mandyb and MaccieD like this.
  6. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I think I can see another black lab in my future. I love the black shiny dogs. I have a choco and black at present. Love both those colours but have never really fancied a yellow. you watch I'll go looking for a black and come across a yellow thats utterly lovely and he will come home with me. its happened twice now when I was looking for a smaller dog than a lab. keep bringing them home! I think I may have a problem

drjs@5, MF and Emily like this.
  7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You can get help for that kind of problem... But would you want to? ;)

Snowshoe, snowbunny and lynnew like this.
  8. lynnew

lynnew Registered Users

We seem to have loads of black labs in Norfolk and the Queen owns and breeds them here at Sandringham. I love all the colours - and over the years have had fox red and black, but seem these days always to come back to black, however I do have a yellow furry 'granddaughter'.

I've only seen picturesof silvers but haven't seen one in the flesh

9. SwampDonkey

no I joined this site to try but it just made it worse

snowbunny likes this.
  10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

@sdegg, you made a typo, I fixed it for you ;)

drjs@5 likes this.
  11. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

"Old fashioned ginger" I like that phrase rather than "fox red" used to describe darker yellow. I'd have red again but get tired explaining that he is a lab not a cross breed and red is a traditional lab colour.

I wanted a yellow puppy that wasn't too white and ended up by chance with my handsome boy.

lynnew likes this.
  12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Isn't it funny how colours go in and out of fashion? I was struck by Shadow's paleness, but found out later than it's a bit out of favour at the moment and everyone is all about the darker yellows. He's darkened as he's grown older, but I think you end up loving what you have anyway :)

lynnew and drjs@5 like this.
  13. niclibrarylady

niclibrarylady Registered Users

We have always had black labs. They have been very relaxed and steady. Then Poppy rocked up our little Chocolate rescue and mayhem ensued. But I think I love her more for that. Onyx just lays there and watches her have her moments. But i have loved them all with all my heart :heart:

lynnew and MaccieD like this.
  14. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I love shadows palenes. Blake was very pale, and I loved his colour. You could really read his expression. Still miss him :)

snowbunny and lynnew like this.
  15. SwampDonkey

16. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Cooper is a typical Chocolate Color. Tilly is the darkest Chocolate I've ever seen. We thought about naming her Espresso. Some people seeing her for the first time think she is black. IMG_3006.JPG

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    drjs@5 and Nade like this.
  17. SwampDonkey

Rorys pretty dark too but I do know a guide dog brood bitch who is so dark she;s black but is a chocolate

18. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

I do love that deep chocolate. At the the end of dog training the most elegant and dark chocolate bitch turned up..she was stunning! If she is there at the next session will try and take a sneaky photo :) Definitely the most gorgeous colour.

19. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Riley was always going to be a black boy and I think he's terribly handsome (of course ;) ) but I think my next lab will be dark yellow. I love the graduations in colour and I know some stunning yellow dogs at the moment so I think that sways me. It also feels slightly disloyal to think of having another black dog which is nonsense but I can't shake it.
    I think we're blessed with some very beautiful choccies on the forum but I still see a lot out and about that I don't find very attractive. Very light eyes and not great conformation (not helped by being a bit podgy often) so I think finding a nice choccies can still be a challenge. As I'd want to work my dog I'd like to see the parents of my next dog working so that limits my choccies options even further.

Charlie can come home with me anytime though :inlove: